PDA

View Full Version : Winter Quest Contest Voting Poll

Russ
01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
The Winter Quest Contest is over, and we have two entries for you to choose from.

First is The Meaning of Christmas, by LostInHyru1e. It is a short but fun Christmas themed quest that you are sure to enjoy. You can find info about it and download it here. (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100825)

Second is The Fort Knights, by Joe123. It is a quest that really captures the gameboy Zelda game feel. You can find info about it and download it here (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100735).

And since we are having problems with this here, please do not vote against LostInHyrule's quest just because it uses the classic set. It seems like everybody here gives any classic set quest a bad rating without even playing it.

So, play them both, and then vote for your favorite.

And just as a side note, both of these quests were also submitted to the Pure ZC two week quest contest. If you like them, be sure to rate them at Pure ZC too.

Joe123
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
*sigh*
Just shows how much more active it is at Pure really doesn't it.
:(

Russ
01-18-2008, 04:00 PM
*sigh*
Just shows how much more active it is at Pure really doesn't it.
:(
Ya. I was hoping this contest would make AGN more active, but the only submissions are just resubmissions from the Pure ZC contest. *sigh*

Joe123
01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Next time, eh?

Russ
01-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I think my attempt at making AGN more interesting has been a miserable failure. The writing contest turned out so well. Why didn't this? Oh well.

Pineconn
01-20-2008, 01:01 PM
I think because there is too much work involved in this. I think the public doesn't want to build mini-quests for a small competition, or for that matter, play them and vote on them. I am in the middle of playing through The Fort Knights, though.

I think that we need to steal PureZC's "Spring/Fall Expo" idea, but without overshadowing them. This Expo need not be a competition, though. I never liked the way PureZC did it; for example, the rating system. Instead, it should work like the E3 or E For All events. Just a place where people can show off their quests-in-progress. This will surely foster healthy activity. I would suppose their could be a thread at the end of the Expo that asks for the quest that impressed people the most just for the sake of an award.

Russ
01-20-2008, 01:16 PM
I think that we need to steal PureZC's "Spring/Fall Expo" idea, but without overshadowing them. This Expo need not be a competition, though. I never liked the way PureZC did it; for example, the rating system. Instead, it should work like the E3 or E For All events. Just a place where people can show off their quests-in-progress. This will surely foster healthy activity. I would suppose their could be a thread at the end of the Expo that asks for the quest that impressed people the most just for the sake of an award.
Hm. That could work. Then again, stealing their quest contest idea didn't work out too well. But, maybe an expo could make AGN more interesting.

Pineconn
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, come on. If you want to continue the quest contest, you have to try it at least once more before deeming it a failure.

For the AGN Expo, we'd need prior advertisement and planning. Honestly, I think a regular annual or biannual quest exhibition will attract people to post threads about their quests that would allow conversation about how to improve it, what looks great about it, etc. Mostly, it'll simply allow authors to show off their work. I almost guarantee that the AGNX (Armageddon Games Network Expo) will be a hit. I mean, the well hidden Script Showcase is relatively active.

(Wow, that's a pretty cheesy nickname. The AGNX? Who came up with that?)

Russ
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
AGNX? That could work. Now we just need an administrator to agree with us, and the AGNX will be along in no time.

Pineconn
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
By the way, does PureZC have plans for an expo in the near future?

erm2003
01-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I think it should be a quest and script expo. Allow people to show off demos or full quests as well as demos of scripts that are being developed as well. The script demos could just be a basic quest file that shows what it's capable of, it doesn't have to be an actual quest demo. The portal scrip is the first thing I am thinking of here, that was just awesome. Not everyone checks the scripting forum, especially if they don't make them often themselves. This would be a way to show exactly what the scripting will be able to do in 2.5.

4matsy
01-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Ooh, I like this idea. :D

Maybe have the AGN expo in the summer and winter? There'd be one each season then, so it wouldn't get in the way of Pure's...

Pineconn
01-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh oh oh oh, great idea, erm. I never even thought of incorporating scripts into the Expo. So I'm now believing that the "AGNX" needs to have its own special forum (like the Superlatives). When you open it, there'll be a sub-forum for quests and a sub-forum for scripts (both of which that aren't completed). I don't think completed quests should allowed to be entered into the Expo unless they aren't added to the QDB yet.

I'm beginning to really like this project. It needs to be strong and complete before presenting it to DD.

EDIT: Yes, summer/winter will have to do. I really don't want this Expo to be a competition to PureZC's.

Russ
01-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh oh oh oh, great idea, erm. I never even thought of incorporating scripts into the Expo. So I'm now believing that the "AGNX" needs to have its own special forum (like the Superlatives). When you open it, there'll be a sub-forum for quests and a sub-forum for scripts (both of which that aren't completed).
Look at how it's set up at Pure ZC. It is a seperate sub forum within ZC discussion. And you should be able to submit more than quests and scripts. What about tilesets? What about loose tiles. What about custom midis? You should be able to submit anything ZC related.

Joe123
01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I think it'd be a bit pointless to have sepereate loose tiles, midis and tileset sections, I doubt there'd be a great likeliness of any of those categories being entered in here even, but if you were to have a 'graphics and music' section, it might work.

Different sections is a great idea though, if there was Quests, Scripts and Graphics and Music, it'd definately be a lot better organised than Pure.

It'd be great to compete with Pure's, attract more attention and all that.
Just apart from the fact that we'd loose cause Pure is more active :(

EDIT:
As if the poll isn't anonymous :eek:
That's crazy.
There's no permanent null option either, so you can just look at the results to choose who you want to vote for...

Pineconn
01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I agree on condensing anything "artistic" into a Graphics and Music section.

So do we agree that we want an AGN Expo? We could have it set up pretty soon (like on February) in order to make the Winter AGNX a reality. Naturally, this still needs more input and debating.

Futher brainstorming on the AGNX should be posted in [this (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101099)] thread.

Allow this thread to deal with the Winter Quest Contest.

Gleeok
01-22-2008, 06:11 AM
I voted for fort knights, because I thought it was a better quest, although I must say the fighting in MoXmas was funner. BTW- Death count 4...Next time try using some of my enemy scripts. ;) I think you'll like them.

Russ
01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow, it looks like everyone is voting for the Fort Knights. I guess people like lots of neat scripts better than detailed dungeon layouts. Well, the contest ends tomorrow, and the new one begins the day after, so anyone planning on entering the next one, get ready.

Pineconn
01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Wow, it looks like everyone is voting for the Fort Knights. I guess people like lots of neat scripts better than detailed dungeon layouts. Well, the contest ends tomorrow, and the new one begins the day after, so anyone planning on entering the next one, get ready.

Ah, right on time for the AGN Expo! Speaking of which, I think it is ready to be opened. Right?

LostInHyru1e
02-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow, did this thread go off-topic...

I voted for fort knights, because I thought it was a better quest, although I must say the fighting in MoXmas was funner. BTW- Death count 4...Next time try using some of my enemy scripts. ;) I think you'll like them.

Death Count 4 on Fort Knights or MoXmas? If your Death Count on MoXmas was 4, then you are truly amazing.

Russ
02-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Death Count 4 on Fort Knights or MoXmas? If your Death Count on MoXmas was 4, then you are truly amazing.
This is the guy that makes scripts of death. He is amazing.

And yes, this thread did get off topic. But it ended up giving us the AGN Expo, so I'm not complaining.

And, I think I am going to try to do something like this in the summer, when people have more time, so that we actually get new quests, and not just resubmissions from Pure ZC's contest.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Heh, actually I find I have less time in the summer, I go out and stuff.
My days are more orgainised during term time.

Russ
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Why is it that I get the feeling I'll never be able to find the right time to make a contest that more than two people will be able to enter?

Joe123
02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Heh, keep trying at it and you'll find something I'm sure.

There have been contests at Pure that never really took off either, did you see the 2 colour competition?

I dunno that I'd enter another one of these competitions anyway, I was just saying.
The two week competition was worth it, but I don't know that it'd be worth it again.

Also, when did you get more posts than me?!

I never noticed this =P

Russ
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
There have been contests at Pure that never really took off either, did you see the 2 colour competition?
Also, when did you get more posts than me?!

I never noticed this =P
First: Is the two color competiton the one that NoeL had the picture of with the mushroom and the octorok that one SotW?

And second, I didn't notice I passed you. But I'm happy! I remember when you used to answer my dumb newbie questions, when you were about three hundered posts ahead of me. But now I'm ahead!

bobrocks95
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
On an off-topic side note, I screwed up with the keys in The Fort Knights, I ran through that one cave without the red tunic and made it all the way to the first dungeon.

Russ
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Then you had better get the red tunic. It's in the overworld, but you'll need to dash through an above ground hot area to get it.

bobrocks95
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, but I had to use a key to enter the first dungeon. Now I can't get past another lock block on the overworld that I'm pretty sure leads to the Red Tunic.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes, I think that'd be the one.
Squigglevision or whatever?
Where the screen wobbled all the time?

Oh, and russ, my strings aren't working, how do I make them show up?
hehehe

EDIT: Urm...
If you're lucky, you might be able to get a key from in the dungeon before you die, then go back and get the tunic.
What you did, however, is unadvised...

bobrocks95
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry, I had just seen something about having to run through a hot area to get the tunic, and I thought that was it.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Heh, the hot area is one screen, and it deals less damage than the other ones.

That area is about 10 screens, I'm rather suprised you managed it actually. Kudos to you.

Russ
02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Joe, if you make a DX version, try putting a sign up that says "Going through here without the red tunic is very dangerous" or something like that so people know not to do it.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Am I going to make a DX version?

bobrocks95
02-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Well, what was it, a 2 week contest? I'm sure you could do an even better job with more time.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Well yes, but I have other projects, and the Fort Knights is completed now.

I did do it within two weeks though, yes.

Fort Knights?
Fortnight?

Russ
02-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Am I going to make a DX version?
I said if you do. You should.

Joe123
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I know you said if, I'd just never said anything about it.

I have other things to worry about at the moment, maybe one day.