PDA

View Full Version : My ISP is actually doing something about piracy

Masamune
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Or at least other people are telling them to do something about piracy.

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: [removed]
Report Date/Time: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:24:42 -0800

[address removed]

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its
authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more
copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service
(the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet
Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the
time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by
the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast
reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any
manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a
violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the
suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to
Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: [email protected]

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy,
procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use
Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at
http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed
infringement:

Title: Katamari

Infringement Source: BitTorrent
Infringement Timestamp: 13 Jan 2008 14:13:00 GMT
Infringement Last Documented: 13 Jan 2008 14:13:00 GMT
Infringer Username:
Infringing Filename: Me And My Katamari
[WORKING][EUR][PSP][www.newpct.com]
Infringing Filesize: 1028813547
Infringer IP Address: [removed]
Infringer DNS Name: c-76-116-159-43.hsd1.pa.comcast.net
Infringing URL:
http://www.spanishtracker.com:2710/c5cc18589401a159f99a0438526c23f6/
announce

Out of all the things to bitch about, it's a PSP game from 2005. At this point, I'm fairly certain that this is merely a warning e-mail, but it still surprised the crap out of me to receive it. Strange.

MrCow
01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Its a warning, Stop sharing and stop downloading for a while as they may watch your account. Most importantly just don't share that file, you managed to get a watched torrent, it happens. Comcast tends to be cool about it and give you a few warning emails before any real action. They basically tell the thing that caught you screw off, it'll stop. Again just lay low. stop downloading and sharing. Usually its the uploading that gets you, not the downloading.

Glitch
01-16-2008, 03:51 AM
This is why I'm glad I get all of my movie/music/game downloads from direct links and not torrents.

Breaker
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
This is why I'm glad I get all of my movie/music/game downloads from direct links and not torrents.

Ditto.

Aegix Drakan
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

HA! I beat both of you. Not only do I use direct links, I also do most of my dowloading at school. Ergo, it can't get shut down, since it'd inconveniance way too many people.

:P Yar.

Glitch
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
HA! I beat both of you. Not only do I use direct links, I also do most of my dowloading at school. Ergo, it can't get shut down, since it'd inconveniance way too many people.

Actually, that won't stop them from punishing you incase you do get caught, all it does is it wll not only effect your personal life but also your school life. Fines will still follow and you can get expelled from the college/school.

Dechipher
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Actually, that won't stop them from punishing you incase you do get caught, all it does is it wll not only effect your personal life but also your school life. Fines will still follow and you can get expelled from the college/school.

Also, they'll eventually block any useful site possible in an attempt to stop people like you from doing anything.

Breaker
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM

That's just stupid.

MottZilla
01-16-2008, 06:38 PM
That's what you get for torrenting. Early on it was the way to go but these days every jackass torrents so ofcourse all the anti piracy agents watch it and even setup fake torrents. Torrenting is a great way to get caught. Unless it's a completely private and restricted tracker, you're probably going to get caught. The wildwest days of torrenting are over.

Pineconn
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Or, you could legally buy your games, music, and movies, and not have to worry about this in the first place. :confuse2:

Russ
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Or, you could legally buy your games, music, and movies, and not have to worry about this in the first place. :confuse2:
Dang it, I was just about to suggest that. Well, just don't do illegal downloads. It will make your life a whole lot easier.

MasterSwordUltima
01-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Theres still a few IRC channels that host large crowds of people who will gladly share their wares. Torrents are still good for ocremix though.

Aegix Drakan
01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
That's just stupid.

*rolls eyes* I never pretended it was anything different. I just felt I needed to vent some randomness.

And unless I've been on everyone's ignore list for the last 2 years, by now everyone here knows I have molasses slow dial up.

...Hence the downloading at school, where there's faster internet.

And the "Yar" was in support of piracy, until a better sytem of selling video games is developed. I want to actually give a game a try before I deicde to blow $40 - 60 bucks on it. I do NOT want to spend hard-saved money on sup-par games like Naruto ninja coucil 3, and other such games. Heck, as much as I like Star fox command, there is no way I'd say it was worth the store price.

biggiy05
01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
*rolls eyes* I never pretended it was anything different. I just felt I needed to vent some randomness.

And unless I've been on everyone's ignore list for the last 2 years, by now everyone here knows I have molasses slow dial up.

...Hence the downloading at school, where there's faster internet.

And the "Yar" was in support of piracy, until a better sytem of selling video games is developed. I want to actually give a game a try before I deicde to blow $40 - 60 bucks on it. I do NOT want to spend hard-saved money on sup-par games like Naruto ninja coucil 3, and other such games. Heck, as much as I like Star fox command, there is no way I'd say it was worth the store price.

It's still a bad idea. It could come back to bite you in the ass and it won't go away.

gdorf
01-17-2008, 01:54 AM
I've gotten one of those. Nothing came of it, but I am more cautious about my downloading now.

If you must use a public tracker, download Peer Guardian. Preferably, just don't use a public tracker. :shrug:

4matsy
01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Comcast? lol, instant phail. :laughing:

Time to switch ISPs then, I guess. :p

gdorf
01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Comcast has provided me with decent service. They provide the best price/stability in our area. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to "shop around" for high speed internet because there are a limited number of options.

Masamune
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Comcast has provided me with decent service. They provide the best price/stability in our area. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to "shop around" for high speed internet because there are a limited number of options.

Indeed. It's either Comcast or Verizon's shitty DSL service for our area. Oh well.

MasterSwordUltima
01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Lmao, the guy who installed my cable modem didn't even know what Wikipedia was. "Back in my day, we had Encyclopedia Britanica, and just recently I remember we got this new Encarta". That made me laugh.

Sute
01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
I like to buy my music, dvds and games legally, I just get too paranoid and can't relax if I have illegal stuff.. I bought legal music online, but the other day I ended up buying the actual CD, just because I'm paranoid, I'd rather just have a hard copy of it, instead of the songs on my computer in case I reformat it and what not.

Plus, having original dvds and such, I can watch it on the tv instead of only on the computer (I don't have a burner) and it's in the nice, pretty official casing, too. :D

Not to sound rude to anyone at all, but it kind of bothers me when people complain about getting in trouble, or not getting something for free, when people should be paying for it. It's nothing personal to Pat or anyone else at all, just in a broad opinion, that's what I think. It's not a right and yadda yadda, but still, it really sucks to get an email, I would have crapped myself. :O

Masamune
01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I wasn't complaining. It was just something I found surprising and I thought I'd share.

punkonjunk1024
01-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Fuck that. Data is infinite and no one is physically harmed. Blah blah blah buy it anyway, if I didn't steal it, I wouldn't have it, case closed. I buy games I love on principle. and frankly, it's been a while. Silent hill series, I think was the last.

I luv leachin. Sharing is for fags and private trackers.

ZTC
01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I buy about half of my stuff, direct-download an eighth, and the rest I get through bittorrent and emule. :shrug: