PDA

View Full Version : Ended Vista Began Ubuntu

Brasel
01-15-2008, 03:52 AM
So I took the jump to a Linux based OS yesterday. I'm now running Ubuntu after purging my computer of that virus I had called Windows Vista. I'm using up so many less resources so far and the computer is performing so much better now. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, as I'm still updating. Eventually I'll be running WINE which runs Windows Binary so I can play WoW. I was a little tired of Vista and the certain issues with it that seem to be plaguing a lot of users, so I wiped everything and installed Linux. Anyone else running Ubuntu or another Linux platform?

Russ
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
You got rid of Vista for a Linux operating system!? You are crazy. What issues with Vusta are you talking about, and what are the advantages of the new operating system?

punkonjunk1024
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Vista sucks, XP doesn't. Wine is an emulator, ask anyone. :)

Russ
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Vista sucks, XP doesn't.
I object! Vista does not suck! It is an awesome operating system! Well, at least I like it.

And by the way: Post 900!!! Only 100 more to go.

punkonjunk1024
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
What's awesome about it? what does it have on XP besides DX10? Enlighten me. It's bloated to all hell.

Gerudo
01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Don't worry about replying to PoJ, you'd be wasting your time...

I personally run Windows Vista, and while I wasn't happy about it at first, I can't name ONE thing I've tried to do (aside from a few networking quirks) that have prompted me to complain about the OS in general. It runs WoW fine, there are other games that aside from having to run in Admin mode, run perfectly. My home pc runs XP, this laptop I'm on runs Vista. Both are fine with me.

Anyways, on topic here. I've not yet tried a Linux operating system, but if you like it enough to use it o a daily basis, more power to you.

MasterSwordUltima
01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I remember way back when I installed Gentoo Linux on my old old machine, and it didn't install, and I thought I was doing it wrong. XD

Linux is pretty good, at times definitely better than Vista. At the same time, all of my Vista woes went away once I turned off that stupid user account control thing. [shrug]

biggiy05
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Vista sucks, XP doesn't. Wine is an emulator, ask anyone. :)

I object! Vista does not suck! It is an awesome operating system! Well, at least I like it.

And by the way: Post 900!!! Only 100 more to go.

What's awesome about it? what does it have on XP besides DX10? Enlighten me. It's bloated to all hell.

Don't turn this into a debate on operating systems. Stay on topic.

Masamune
01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I hope you have more luck with linux than I ever did. Every time I make a conscious effort to install linux and actually use it, I always fall back on my windows partition. I'm sure if I ever got wine and beryl configured correctly, I'd never go back to windows. But good luck.

mikeron
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
If Linux doesn't do what you want it to, you can always dual boot with XP, and at least 80% of your Vista problems should be gone.

Translation: "OOH SHINY!"

vegeta1215
01-16-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm running Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring edition here on my trusty ol' Pentium III 450 MHz Dell! (40 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD, 640 MB PC100 SD RAM, Geforce2 GTS 32 MB, Sound Blast Live!, 4 port USB 2.0 - I think these are all parts I added myself)

The system runs really well, and I've never had any problems (except when the original 10 GB HD died). The only thing I can't do that I'd like to do is watch CPU intensive videos, and some flash stuff on the web, but for most things it's great. Not too shabby for a computer from 1999! I'll get a new computer eventually, probably something with a core 2 duo, but for now I'm using this as long as I can.

Ubuntu has a really nice community from what I hear, with lots of people are willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask! I can probably help you with some things, as distros share some commonalities (plus I use the Gnome desktop which is the default for Ubuntu) Have fun!

Brasel
01-16-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm really enjoying Ubuntu so far. Its a nice alternative to Windows. I just got my sound working and my World of Warcraft is running much better than it did on Vista already. Better frame rates and the intermittent network issues I was having with it are completely gone. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use my Ipod on this computer now. I'm sure I can probably figure it out somehow. Not missing Vista at all.

DarkDragoonX
01-16-2008, 05:44 AM
I personally run Windows Vista, and while I wasn't happy about it at first, I can't name ONE thing I've tried to do (aside from a few networking quirks) that have prompted me to complain about the OS in general.

Where I work (as an IT), there are exactly two people who (used to) use Vista: My boss, and some random unimportant guy (sorry, random unimportant guy, but I can't remember your name or title). Both switched back to XP, and the main culprit was horrible networking issues that go far beyond "quirks." For example, a file that takes about ten mnutes to transfer to a network drive from any XP or 2k machine would quite literally take SIX HOURS OR MORE to transfer using Vista. Add to the numerous compatibility problems it has with legacy software, and it's a complete nightmare.

Vista is perfectly fine for the typical user who runs modern applications and no networking concerns other than "does the internet work," will fine that VIsta is perfectly fine. However, folks who want the best network performance, and who have legacy applications they still want to run will find Vista far too restrictive. It's also a massive resource hog, which is a pet peeve of mine.

As for Linux, I quite like the OS, myself. I've always been far too lazy to set up Linux on my own system, but my experiences (albeit minimal) with the OS have left a favorable impression on me. It seems very stable and efficient compared to any Windows OS. Let us know how your foray into Linux turns out.

Gerudo
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I'm noticing the native zip support blows, and copying files that normally would take a few minutes at best take a severely long time. I'm not about to swap OS's on my laptop though. It's basically for doing things elsewhere without having to use someone else's equipment. It does what I want it to, so I'm not concerned. I'll have to look up that admin permission crap though.

Dark Nation
01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use my Ipod on this computer now. I'm sure I can probably figure it out somehow. Not missing Vista at all.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+ipod

Looks like several people have already done that, so yes. :D

MasterSwordUltima
01-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Can you run Ubuntu on an XP machine? I'm seriously thinking about putting it onto my old Jimputer.

vegeta1215
01-17-2008, 12:19 AM
If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, then no...but otherwise, yeah, there are programs that let you use an iPod with Linux. There are several music players that let you do this. (I don't know if any let you do video or photos though).

When I got my iPod nano I was running Linux on an old HP laptop with very little resources, and the GUI iPod programs would crash cause my CPU couldn't handle sending all the data so quickly. Having only USB 1.1 didn't help either. I wound up using a command line program to do it, the program is called gnupod. It's not pretty, but it got the job done for me, and I kind of like it. I'll continue using for my nano, but I have to use my Dad's Mac to use my iPod Touch. GTKpod or Amarok will probably do the trick for you

In reponse to Gerudo, what kind of zip drive were you trying to use? I had a Iomega external zip drive 100 MB (parallel port), and it worked great. The only thing I couldn't do was daisy-chain my printer through it. I don't remember having any problems setting it up. Actually, I may have needed to manually load a kernel module (adding a new line to a config file took care of that from then on), but that was years ago. Today's distros are very good at picking up hardware.

Gerudo
01-17-2008, 12:56 AM
My apologies, I didn't clarify myself. I was referring to Vista's native zip archive support (which sucks), as well as the awesomely slow time it takes to transfer files over a network using Vista.

gdorf
01-17-2008, 02:03 AM
I have Ubuntu installed on my computer. I used it for about a month straight. Now I only use it when I want to impress someone with Beryl (or Aircrack, which I haven't been able to get working in windows). I honestly enjoyed using it, but over time the "little things" added up to fatigue I didn't want to deal with.

I have XP running well on my laptop, and on a 433mhz celeron w/ 196 megs of ram.

Brasel
01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Can you run Ubuntu on an XP machine? I'm seriously thinking about putting it onto my old Jimputer.

Ubuntu should run on anything that would run XP. I dont' know the specifications, but the entire operating system only takes up like 2 gigs on my hard drive. I'm guessing you should be okay.

Oh, and thanks for the link DN!

Masamune
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Anthony, you've encouraged me to try Ubuntu one more time and actually sit down and learn this shit. Thanks, dude.

MasterSwordUltima
01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Me too, I've just about finished taking all of my stuff off my XP Jimputer, put them onto my laptop here, and once this last torrent finishes up, I'm gonna try Ubuntu. Crazy awesome.

Masamune
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
JIM! :O We can try Ubuntu together and be Ubuntu buddies.

Brasel
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the club guys. Let me know when and if you have issues with installing and I'll do what I can to help. The install might be a little bumpy, but once its all over with, its much more stable and definately worth it.

Masamune
01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, the last time I tried installing Ubuntu, it was on my laptop. The only issues I had after the installation was lack of sound and wireless drivers. As soon as I run up to comp usa for blank CDs, I will give it another try on my desktop.

MasterSwordUltima
01-18-2008, 06:54 PM
So eh, I successfully? burnt the ISO to a CD, have it in my Jimputer. I get it to show the ubuntu screen, and it shows

"Start or install ubuntu"
"Start ubuntu in safe graphics mode"
"install with driver update CD"
"OEM install (for manufacturers)"
"Check CD for defects"
"Memory test"
"Boot from first hard disk"

F1 Help F2 Language F3 Keymap F4 VGA F5 Accessibility

So whenever I go to the first option and hit enter, it essentially freezes up. Same with the second option, and with "Check CD for Defects". ...any hints?

vegeta1215
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I have XP running well on my laptop, and on a 433mhz celeron w/ 196 megs of ram.

Ubuntu should run on anything that would run XP. I don't know the specifications, but the entire operating system only takes up like 2 gigs on my hard drive. I'm guessing you should be okay.

Eh...sorry to say, not all Linux distros are created equally, and I think Ubuntu would actually be painful to run on that machine.

The laptop I own that used to have Mandriva on it was a 523 MHz K6-2 with 256 MB RAM, an 8 MB graphics card, and 4 GB hard drive. It got me by, but it was not a joy to run. XP is snappier on that machine. Now my current machine is slower, but it has a much better chip (Pentium III vs K6-2), and better specs in every other category. It is a huge difference.

Masamune
01-18-2008, 10:51 PM
JIMMER! :O You must push f4 when you think it freezes up.

Masamune
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Shit, dude. Now that I put some effort into it, I got WoW on ubuntu running. This is super nifty.

Brasel
01-19-2008, 01:32 AM
Eh...sorry to say, not all Linux distros are created equally, and I think Ubuntu would actually be painful to run on that machine.

The laptop I own that used to have Mandriva on it was a 523 MHz K6-2 with 256 MB RAM, an 8 MB graphics card, and 4 GB hard drive. It got me by, but it was not a joy to run. XP is snappier on that machine. Now my current machine is slower, but it has a much better chip (Pentium III vs K6-2), and better specs in every other category. It is a huge difference.

My bad. Like I said, I'm not too sure of the particular specs the operating system requires, as I got the disk from my OIC (officer in charge).

MasterSwordUltima
01-19-2008, 10:38 AM
JIMMER! :O You must push f4 when you think it freezes up.

This does nothing, Pat. :O I think its the CD.

Masamune
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, the only hiccup in the installation was that it caused my monitor to go into standby. But then I pushed f4, and it changed the resolution, and all was well.

beefster09
01-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Alright! Good for you. I support anything that takes away money from Microsoft. All that's good about Vista is it looks pretty. My friend is downgrading his compy from the official Vista release to the SECOND BETA. That's how much it sucks due to the rush of the release.

MasterSwordUltima
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
So yeah, since I haven't got any blank CDs here, I'm going to go grab a couple at the mall tonight when I go with Steph so she can pick out some extra birthday stuff.

Should I get CD-Rs or RWs? I'd rather get, and Pat agrees, Rs.

Masamune
01-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Now that I have WoW and Wc3 setup on ubuntu, I really see no reason to switch back to windows. And I guess I'll keep windows on my laptop for my Zune. My only complaint is that wine won't allow me to host wc3 games, and it makes both WoW and wc3 look significantly shittier than normal. Ah well.