PDA

View Full Version : A question about tile creation

Aeronniell
01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Alright, sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question, but I need to get it answered before I can get anywhere with the quest I want to make.

Exactly how does one go about making tiles? Do I have to rip the tiles from a game? Or could I just take a .gif sprite that was previously ripped and somehow make it a tile?

Like, for example, I've gotten a few tiles I need from this sprite set that was ripped by someone named Lycentia: http://la-soldier.net/Graphics/Vgs/SmAS_ne.php

Could I make those useable in the game somehow, or do I have to rip them myself?

Again, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. It's been a long time since I've used ZQuest, and I neglected learning that.

I'm using version 2.10. If it requires something like Photoshop, I'm set.

_L_
01-16-2008, 01:42 AM
You can grab tiles from gif files and such, as long as the tiles in the gif are aligned to a 16x16 grid, in the manner that ZQuest tile pages are laid out.

Also: in the grabbing window, press R to recolour tiles using the currently selected CSet.

4matsy
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
as long as the tiles in the gif are aligned to a 16x16 grid, in the manner that ZQuest tile pages are laid out.
Not necessarily...you can also press the S key, while in the tile grabber, to change the size of the grid (the "step" value in the bottom left), so that you can better line up the cursor. You can pick from 1, 8, or 16 pixels.

Pineconn
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, why have I never known that? That's rather convenient, considering I always tend to forget to line up the tiles that I want on the 16x16 grid. Oh, and it appears that you must use the mouse to line up on the 1x1 or 8x8 grid, as using the arrow keys will move the selection box 16 pixels still. That threw me off for a while.