PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Employment

Mitsukara
01-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Okay, so I've been working most of the time since I moved at a Jo-ann's Craft/Fabric store. Typical retail crap, but smaller, slightly less evil than Wal Mart (but lacking the glorious position that is "Overnight People Greeter"- if you ever work at a Wal Mart supercenter, strive to get there, BTW, it's just slightly awesome enough to make me regret not having stayed a bit longer before I moved, because it's such ridiculously easy money and full time hours), and most of your customers are old ladies of the either grumpy or menopausal evil type that demand they get three cans at the price of one because someone fucked up while stocking and didn't unnest them on the shelf.

That's well and good, but Christmas just ended, right? So I asked 4 times, in advance, one quite recently, to the two managers in charge of scheduling: what kind of hour cuts might there be? How bad has it been in the past? Etc. etc., and they're all "Uh, well, there's no way to tell, uh, we'll have to hear from corporate, uh, it'll be fine, don't worry about it."

Well, not entirely to my surprise but without any kind of warning, I've got 12 hours, maybe slightly more if they're nice and don't keep up their usual trend of kicking all the closing staff out 30 minutes earlier than scheduled to save money on payroll (planning that these dumbasses- and it seems to work on everyone but me, too- will enjoy this treatment because it means they go home earlier, and even make them work harder to be able to leave minutes sooner, disregarding that they're being cheated of several hours of pay the company tells them they'll get while whining about their precious limited payroll hours to hand out all the while).

So a bit later than I probably should be, I'm planning to try to get a second job: something that will hire quick and easy, let me keep my long hair as-is, and isn't so good that I feel like I waste anything if I want to quit in like a month or two.

That has fast food written all over it, except the hair bit.

So, do any fast food employees, past or present, have wisdom to impart to me about how to get hired, what I can do to keep my hair and still get hired, and warnings about all the things that suck, and whatnot? Advice would be handy right now. Thanks!

moocow
01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
You'll have to pull your hair up/back in a pony tail and probably wear a hairnet or hat...

Mitsukara
01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
You'll have to pull your hair up/back in a pony tail and probably wear a hairnet or hat...

Yeah, I had figured on that; I guess I didn't word it very well. What I was wondering about that bit particularly is, how likely are they to be okay with it being there in the first place, and what's the best way to present myself for the application/interview/etc., like, ponytail versus bun, should I wear some kind of generic hat to apply to make the hair less obvious in the first place (especially if they wear hats so I look like one of their employees off the bat, as it were), or is that a bad idea, etc.

Sorry if it's all kinda badly worded on my part though :X

Lilith
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
---

Glitch
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
If you actually dress up as a female for work/interview you're going to have a hard time getting a job anywhere.

MasterSwordUltima
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
lmao, go to FedEx Ground, and apply for the 2am shift. For $10 an hour starting, for five or six hours a night [usually from 2am - 7:30am]. The only thing you can't wear is jewelery, necklaces, because it can get caught in the machinery [yet our ID's are supposed to be worn on necklace thing, retarded].

People come in drunk all the time, and as long as you do your work, you can do whatever [listen to obnoxious music, throw boxes, go on smoke breaks, go and heat up a sandwich and eat it, draw dinosaurs on large sheets of cardboard, anything].

Mitsukara
01-08-2008, 03:08 AM
I suppose I could've mentioned for clarification that I'm not dumb enough to try to pass as female at a job before I have any physical changes/therapy/boobs and a reliable lack of facial hair to back it up. Another reason why I'm looking for something temporary and throwaway.

I've never used any kind of ironing thingies :X my hair doesn't frizz quit as bad as it did since I use good conditioner now, though.

What sort of work does FedEx ground do on a night shift like that? I don't have a driver's license yet, pathetically, which limits my options quite a bit.

MasterSwordUltima
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
One of two things. Either throw boxes out of large trailers, or load those very same boxes onto the various trucks. One requires 0 intelligence, the other requires more.

Oh wait, you could also be a splitter. A splitter "splits" the boxes onto seperate belts when the belt splits are certain points [i.e. a fork in the road/belt, a Y]. Its seriously simple work, and some drivers are nice and pay you if you load their truck the way they want [I'll make $10 or $20 just for the hell of it from my one driver].

However, I myself don't plan on staying there for the rest of the year. Its a good way to make a reputation to help you get into another job [for instance, I was asked to work for Miller-Plumbing because of how well I work at FedEx, and since its $15 an hour starting, full time, I'm obviously going for that].