PDA

View Full Version : Age Discrimination

MrCow
01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Has anyone ever experienced age discrimination by doctors? I've been having some hereditary problems, mostly with my neck, and because I'm only 20 I've had three doctors already say, WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO YOUNG! Now I'd love to believe that, but when you have MRI films and X-Rays with reports for both that say otherwise.. it gets rather annoying.
Share your experiences.

Prrkitty
01-05-2008, 01:49 AM
The more doctors I meet... the more I hate 'em. Age ain't the only discrimination card they like to play.

*IF* you know that you need something... don't let doctors tell YOU what is best for you and your body. If you don't stand up for you... who else is gonna do it?

Don't take any crap off 'em hon. Even cyberkitten will tell ya that :)

MrCow
01-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Oh I don't, Unfortunately copays suck and destroy the wallet. I get what I need to across and if they don't listen I find someone who will and therefore, by listening before forming opinions, will give me proper advice and treatment.

Rijuhn
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I haven't had too much descrimination from doctors, aside from them thinking I'm just a typical stupid, err...I mean average American college student. I've only liked about 30% of the doctors I've ever had. I don't have any sort of insurance. People tell me that I should, but apparently there is a big health-care crisis going on, so I don't feel like it's even worth it to get insurance. When I have a family of my own I'll think differently right now, but being a poor college student doesn't allow me to have all that I should.

Anyway, I seem to be more in tune with what's going on than half of the doctors I've ever had. Second opinions suck because it costs more time, money, and travel, but it's worth it when it comes to something potentionally life-threatening.

moocow
01-05-2008, 08:32 PM
My last doctor asked me if I've had a lot of "sexual partners" after he diagnosed me with ADHD.

I get a lot of age discrimination at work. Most of my customers are old, so that automatically makes me the typical, stupid little girl. Or if I come into work tired or not feeling well, my coworkers assume it's because I was out drinking. Not because I was up late with my sick child or something, you know? Retarded.

Dechipher
01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't go to the doctor often, but when I do I alwyas take what they say at face value, in hopes that they fuck up and I get money for it.
*shrug*

MasterSwordUltima
01-06-2008, 02:22 AM
So this pretty much supports the anti-baby boomers, eh?

I'm down.

Breaker
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
They won't prescribe you painkillers because of the high probability that you might get addicted, in which case they'd be liable and possibly sued for malpractice. They're saving their own asses, not descriminating against you. Also, some doctors of certain ethnic groups don't believe in prescribing narcotic opiates at all, as the use of them is against their religion. You just need to be assertive and persistant, but try not to act like an addict. Explain your symptoms thoroughly... Worst case scenario, go to a pain management.

Lilith
01-06-2008, 03:16 PM
---

MrCow
01-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm not looking for pain medicine, I'm looking for answers about what is going on in my body. If it was a pain med issue I'd understand, but when doctors completely ignore results from previous tests because "your too young for that" then I get a little pissed. I had one otho completely ignore over half of my symptoms I was complaining about because he made up his mind before he even met me. I had another flat out tell me that the problem that an mri clearly showed was not there. I had another doctor basically tell me another problem I have isn't happening because it only really occurs in older males, not 20 year olds. I wish they could live my life for a day and deal withs ome of the annoyances that "aren't there"