PDA

View Full Version : Help with metal work?

MasterSwordUltima
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Alright, what I simply need to know is, what exactly can I use thats CHEAP to take a piece of square brass and round off the edges, thus making it as circular as possible?

Anything other than some freakin' machine that I'd pay tons of money for. Is there some kind of file or something I can buy for $10 or so that I could just spend an hour or so with?

Yoshiman
01-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Well, it depends on what exactly you're trying to file down.

If it's something small, a metal file (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3254) should do the trick. I've done some metalry projects in one of my Art Major classes, and I basically used them to soften the edges of some of my work. I believe they're relatively cheap, and they could probably be found at home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Don't quote me on that though.
Keep in mind though that manually filing down something takes a crapload of energy and time. You'd probably need a C-clamp as well if you plan on keeping your project from moving all over the place.

In the class I took, we also used some really fine sandpaper to smooth out the edges even more and get the brushed metal look. It may not be a necessity, but that sandpaper really gets it smooth.

As for something larger, I don't know what to recommend. You could use a file, but that would take forever. They come in different sizes, but even the biggest are still too much work.

MasterSwordUltima
01-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Nevermind about all this...got it all figured out, and I don't wanna spoil anything.

The_Amaster
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Well, it depends how rounded are we talking. Like, severley to the point where the end resembles a semicircle? Because if so instead of filing down all that tedious work, one technique we used in Art was to use a specialized thin metal hacksaw type thing for the rough shape and then file it down to perfection. Mush faster.
Not sure how much they cost though.
EDIT: Found one (http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Metal-Wood-Blades-Tool/dp/B000RB5R6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1199506298&sr=8-2) on Amazon for 16 bucks. Not sure if you can find one cheaper but that's what you should look for. Come to think of it, Hobby Lobby would almost certainly carry something like that.

MasterSwordUltima
01-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh I don't mind Dremeling it at all. Other than it being friggin' cold out lately [I suppose this sort of thing happens in december, especially in Pennsylvania -_-] and I don't really want to dremel inside.

Why didnt' I think to dremel before?