PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

skaarj[warrior]
12-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi!
I'm doing my first quest and I have a few troubles implementing following things:

first: I would like the music to change in different parts of the world (e.g. link enters a wood). Is that possible?

second: for that question I have to explain a little what I want to do. I'm redesigning the item room so it seems like a normal item room, but link can walk right to the (secret) right room after climbing the stairs to the item. I managed to do that but when I try to put a black warp tile above the stairs of the exit, link is unable to move (although the area is marked as walkable when pressing 'w'). So now the secret is kind of giving itself away since the secret path is the only exit. (If what I'm writing is not understandable I can make a screenshot).

third: when I put bubbles in a room, they disappear when killing some of the enemies after returning. How do I make them stay and stay the exact number?

fourth: I wanna make a guy in the triforce room who says "he took the triforce and you don't really need it", something like that. I would like a certain amount of damage dealt to the guy (or the tile the guy is on) to trigger the appearance of the triforce. Is that possible and how?

fifth: am I blind or is there no search-function in this forum? That would be SO helpful!

Thank you very much!

skaarj[warrior]
12-28-2007, 09:38 PM
ok nevermind question three, I found out you have to put the bubbles before the other enemies.

Rakshiba
12-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Question 1: what music format do you want(ex. MIDI,MP3,WAV?)
2:I'll need a screen shot to help with that one.
4:You can create an enemy in the form af a "Guy" the set the "Enemies <- Item" option in the screen data so that the triforce appears where ever you want after you kill him.
5: I'm afraid the is no search function in the forum, but it's perfectly fine to make as much posts as you need to figure out all your questions. you may get to know people on the forum better doing so.

skaarj[warrior]
12-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Question 1: what music format do you want(ex. MIDI,MP3,WAV?)

My main overworld theme is an s3m-file, the alternate music file I want to add is Midi (more formats might come up).

2:I'll need a screen shot to help with that one.

How can I attach an image here?
If not can I send it to you per mail? :)

4:You can create an enemy in the form af a "Guy" the set the "Enemies <- Item" option in the screen data so that the triforce appears where ever you want after you kill him.

Ok thats cool but I have no idea how to do that. Is there a guide how to make custom enemies or can you explain? Can I make the enemy static?

5: I'm afraid the is no search function in the forum, but it's perfectly fine to make as much posts as you need to figure out all your questions. you may get to know people on the forum better doing so.[/QUOTE]

hehe allright I will flood the forum with questions.

Thank you for helping out Rakshiba!

Rakshiba
12-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Here's a link to the ZQ Wiki article.

http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki/Main_Page

In there you'll see an enemy editor link. Creating enemies isn't something you learn over night. But it's extremely useful and I'll help you with it. If you need any help just PM me.

Freedom
12-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Idontknow tutorial (http://www.geocities.com/idontknowtutorial/contents.html?1048292445858)

The Ultimate ZQuest Tutorial By Happyman (http://happyman.purezc.com/uzqt/index.php?page=index)

download Alphadawgs tutorial (http://members.toast.net/mfreedom/zqtutorial.zip)

Rakshiba
12-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Damn... One-uped again:glare: I'm gonna jump in a river of lava to cleanse my depression:angry: :laughing:

skaarj[warrior]
12-29-2007, 11:55 AM
wow thanks, couldn't find any other tutorials than alphadawgs, these seem pretty good - working through them right now :)

Nicholas Steel
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
you don't need to download alphadawgs tutorial...

Russ
12-30-2007, 12:57 AM
you don't need to download alphadawgs tutorial...
Yes, Erm2003 is hosting it on his site. That makes it a lot easier.

skaarj[warrior]
01-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a problem with the music; when I make a warp from one dungeon level to another the music sounds weird, I think it overlaps, but I'm not sure. Can I prevent that problem somehow? (one of the tracks is s3m, the other is midi, maybe that's a problem too)

skaarj[warrior]
01-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I have another problem.
So I started reading the enemy editor tutorial, but my problem is there is simply no "enemies" option in my Quest Menu. I have the options Header, Rules, Strings, Cheats, DMaps and Init Data but not "Enemies"! I'm using version 2.10.

pkmnfrk
01-03-2008, 11:31 PM
The enemy editor is only in the beta versions (2.5).

skaarj[warrior]
01-04-2008, 01:02 AM
ok thanks, oh my god I thought .10 is higher than .5 :banghead:

skaarj[warrior]
01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi, new questions from me:

(version 2.10)

I have a strange bug with the "whistle --> stairs" feature on one screen: link is suddenly able to walk on water after using the whistle, and so are enemies (everywhere, not just on this screen). Any clues/ideas?

And another thing: when I use flag 4 (burn any) on a tree in combination with "room type: shop", a grey tile replaces the tree after exiting the shop, although my under combo is set to stairs. On a different screen this works just fine with "room type: heart container". But maybe I mixed something up with the secret combos, anyway I can't figure it out.

Thank you :) !

erm2003
01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
OK, good news, neither is a bug!

The whistle also makes water disappear. If you have ever played the first quest think of the entrance to level 7. If this is something you don't want to have happen on that screen, either move the secret to another screen or simply get rid of the water if possible. You could also put the secret stairs in the water so they appear once the water is drained, as in Zelda 1.

As for the flag for burning, make sure you are setting the stairs to the secret combo for burn, not the under combo. Under combo is reserved for when you do things like push a rock, a block, or move an armos statue. Take a look through the secret combo menu so you can see what you can control from there.

skaarj[warrior]
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow thanks erm for the ultrafast response :)

OK do I get this right, that the water that is on that screen and every water tile that is connected to it will get walkable? That would make sense because my rivers and all are walkable too after using the whistle in that screen.

So I get the problem, but theoretically, could I make a stair appear with the whistle at the beach of an ocean (because that's where I'd like to have it) without having the problem that other screens are waterwalkable too? Maybe by making custom non-water tiles that look like water?

#2: I set the secret combo for blue and red candle to stairs, but I still have the problem.

edit: ok problem #2 solved, I had the yellow stairs tile where I wanted the stairs to appear, apparantly that caused a problem in combination with the secret combo. Got it right now, but I'm confused. When do I need to set a stair position and when is it unnecessary, is there an underlying concept?

erm2003
01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Making a tile that looks like water without the actual water combo assigned to it would be a work around for your whistle issue.

As for the burn issue, setting the secret combo should get it to work. I am not really too sure why that's not working for you.

Russ
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Actually, for the whistle problem, just do this:

Put the whistle flag on every walkable combo. Then put flag 16 on where you want the stairs to appear, and set the secret combo for flag 16 to be a staicase.

erm2003
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Or what about just using the numbered secret combos to keep the water on the screen after the whistle triggers the secret? Will that work too?

skaarj[warrior]
01-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Woohoo it works. Thanks both of you!

I hope I'm not getting annoying with all my questions, but I have another (more general) one. I'm now writing my quest with version 2.10, would you suggest that I use 2.5 instead? The question for me is, will 2.5 be compatible with a quest written in 2.10 (and vice versa) and will 2.5 alpha be finished soon enough, so that my quest can be played without bugs? (I guess I'll need a few months for the quest)

Pineconn
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
2.5 is supposed to be compatible with 2.10 quests, but there are likely still some compatibility bugs that haven't been found yet. I guarantee that the official release of 2.5 will be fully compatible with 2.10 quests, though. However, you can't play a 2.5 quest in Zelda Classic 2.10.

For the second part, 2.5 won't be officially released for a while, at least not until all bugs have been exterminated. I'd assume at least two months (then again, this has been being said for a year, now).

erm2003
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
One of the focuses of 2.5 has been making it so 2.10 quests can be played bug free when it's released. You can stick with 2.10 until you feel more comfortable with the program or until there is a full release. Remember, 2.5 is in development so it's not always the best option unless you have to.