PDA

View Full Version : Room State Carryovers, NES Dungeon DMAPS, Doors, and Secrets

Exdeath
12-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I've read many posts about these subjects and have come to the following conclusions:

There needs to be a Screen Flag "Secrets are Permanent" that can be applied to NES Dungeon Dmaps (just as there is a Screen Flag "Secrets are Temporary" that can be applied to all other types of DMAPS). Why not just use an "Interior" type DMAP or the "Treat as Interior Room" flag? Well, that makes doors not work (shutters, etc.) as well as Link not walking out 2 tiles when entering the screen.

Why has this not been implemented yet? I can definitely understand if it will cause too much difficulty from a programming standpoint. I know that I can't be the only one who likes to use NES Dungeon dmaps, and doesn't like the idea of having to build totaly custom rooms in order to use permanent secrets and Room State Carryovers in dungeons. Also, there is no way that I know of to custom-build "shutters" that function in quite the same way.

I have a quest, for example, where I would like (among other things) to have a room where you must defeat all the enemies in order for the doors to open, but I also want the same room to have a switch that lowers blocks in a different room. For now, I've had to go without the shutters in favor of the room-state carryover feature.

Any thoughts from the devs on the difficulty or willingness to implement a "Secrets are Permanent" screen flag that can be used on "NES Dungeon" rooms/DMAPS?

Alternately, could there be a screen flag for non "NES Dungeon" dmaps that enables the doors to work on a particular screen?

Thanks.

pkmnfrk
12-23-2007, 02:23 AM
I vote for this 100%, although I suspect that DD's going to say "Post 2.5".

Freedom
12-23-2007, 05:01 AM
I vote for this 100%, although I suspect that DD's going to say "Post 2.5".

As well they should, DN closed the suggestions forum only to have some try and move it in here.

Exdeath,
You can design around that problem with a little thought and almost no effort. ;)

EDIT;
Ok, why make ya think right?
Set it up so when all enemies are killed, enemies=secrets places warp tiles under links feet taking him to an identical room with the doors set but the room screen flag set to "treat as interior.
That will make the doors sound as if they opened, but they will already BE open because doors don't work in interior, right.
Set up like this the player has to kill all the enemies before he can switch the switch or push the block or trigger it however.
In the second room he warped to is the switch to active the carry over secret
So then he can hit that switch, or just leave through a door, and since you can have 4 different side warps, then you can send him back where he should be.
In the first room you could use the screen flag "enemies always return" so no matter how many times he goes through the "loop" he will have to continue to trigger the temp secret and doors in the "dungeon type" room.

DarkDragon
12-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Post 2.50.

Exdeath
12-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the answer DD, although I would have liked to have seen such a screen flag implemented long ago.

As well they should, DN closed the suggestions forum only to have some try and move it in here.

Exdeath,
You can design around that problem with a little thought and almost no effort. ;)

EDIT;
Ok, why make ya think right?
Set it up so when all enemies are killed, enemies=secrets places warp tiles under links feet taking him to an identical room with the doors set but the room screen flag set to "treat as interior.
That will make the doors sound as if they opened, but they will already BE open because doors don't work in interior, right.
Set up like this the player has to kill all the enemies before he can switch the switch or push the block or trigger it however.
In the second room he warped to is the switch to active the carry over secret
So then he can hit that switch, or just leave through a door, and since you can have 4 different side warps, then you can send him back where he should be.
In the first room you could use the screen flag "enemies always return" so no matter how many times he goes through the "loop" he will have to continue to trigger the temp secret and doors in the "dungeon type" room.

Alright Freedom, this brings up a lot more questions now. The first thing that comes to mind is: How do I do what you suggested and have the dungeon map screen not be adversely affected (e.g, have the map display still show that you are in the correct room, and the dungeon map still show the rooms you have already visited)?

_L_
12-24-2007, 05:20 AM
I've read many posts about these subjects and have come to the following conclusions:

There needs to be a Screen Flag "Secrets are Permanent" that can be applied to NES Dungeon Dmaps (just as there is a Screen Flag "Secrets are Temporary" that can be applied to all other types of DMAPS). Why not just use an "Interior" type DMAP or the "Treat as Interior Room" flag? Well, that makes doors not work (shutters, etc.) as well as Link not walking out 2 tiles when entering the screen.Better idea: a DMap flag, "Use Door Combo Sets". Link's two-tile walk is a function of Door Combo Sets (in particular, Shutters) and would be entailed by that flag.

Remind me about this later.

Exdeath
12-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Better idea: a DMap flag, "Use Door Combo Sets". Link's two-tile walk is a function of Door Combo Sets (in particular, Shutters) and would be entailed by that flag.

Remind me about this later.

Thanks _L_. That would work as well (Did you mean Dmap flag, screen flag, or both?). I also suggested the door idea above. Is that type of flag also unlikely before 2.5 as DD said above?

Either of those 2 ideas being implemented would unlock so many more possibilities. Shutters in particular are hard to implement manually while still having separate secrets.

DarkDragon
12-24-2007, 05:57 AM
Is that type of flag also unlikely before 2.5 as DD said above?

With only 26 unresolved reported bugs left, and since each new feature can quite easily add a dozen more, I trust that's *exactly* what he had in mind. :sb:

Exdeath
12-24-2007, 06:01 AM
With only 26 unresolved reported bugs left, and since each new feature can quite easily add a dozen more, I trust that's *exactly* what he had in mind. :sb:

Aaight. Didn't realize we were so close to an official release. Haven't had as much time to keep up with things here the past year since I've gotten a job :P.

DarkDragon
12-24-2007, 06:17 AM
I very much hope we're close, but the key is that there are 26 *reported* bugs. Sometimes I could swear that the beta testers have stockpiled a large pool of bugs, to be used when a release draws near in some kind of Sisyphean challenge ;)