PDA

View Full Version : A killer cold? Even the healthy may be vulnerable

Prrkitty
12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/12/19/killer.cold/index.html

Quote: The bug causing the serious disease is called "adenovirus 14," one of the 51-odd strains of adenovirus that typically cause anything from colds to conjunctivitis and gastroenteritis. While adenovirus isn't a new bug on the block -- it was first identified in 1955 -- researchers believe it has mutated into a more virulent form, first identified in 2005.

------------

This is an FYI for everyone (but especially those in Oregon and surrounding parts). The bug has already killed 7 people in Oregon. So if you have what you think is a cold and all of a sudden it goes crazy (symptoms) ... make sure someone you know has your doctor test you for this virus.

Ultimately there isn't a cure for a virus - all the doctors can do is handle the symptoms as they happen... but still. Take care... please... :)

Aegix Drakan
12-19-2007, 10:51 PM
/me washes hands

I'm already a bit of a clean freak, so Washing hands often is no biggy.

but man...a deadly common cold...

>_> this is further proof that the planet is trying to kill of the humans, to restore balance to nature....

phattonez
12-19-2007, 11:15 PM
^^This has been going on ever since the planet has existed.

So if you have it, get tested, and you'll die anyway? I'm guessing that this is sensationalism, where are the real statistics on this?

DarkDragoonX
12-21-2007, 02:10 AM
So if you have it, get tested, and you'll die anyway? I'm guessing that this is sensationalism, where are the real statistics on this?

According to the article, they can treat the symptoms, but have no treatment for the virus itself. It appears to have roughly a 20% mortality rate.

Prrkitty
12-21-2007, 02:54 AM
All the docs can ever do for a virus is to treat symptoms. Antibiotics only tackle bacteria... not virus.

phattonez
12-21-2007, 03:12 AM
Well I guess that's true now that I think about it, haha.

20% of all infected? That's pretty good. Maybe this is a disease that I should actually be worried about, or is it not easily contagious?

Brasel
12-21-2007, 06:52 AM
And here's the start of that pandemic everyone's been worried about for the last couple of years.

AlexMax
12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
we're all gonna die, nice knowing ya'll

peace

Rakshiba
12-23-2007, 12:56 AM
Another thing about the ad14 virus is that it's a double-stranded DNA virus, which means it's capable of reproducing without host cells. And an even more startling fact is that, unlike most viruses in the adenovirus family, the 14 strand reproduces through the lysogenic cycle, as in it reproduce in a latent non-agressive state then by the time theres too many viruses for your body to fight off they all attack simultaneously.

Russ
12-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh my gosh. A killer common cold. In oregon. That's only one state away from me! *Goes out and buys tons of anti cold products* And it's capable of reproducing without host cells!? And it can reproduce in a non agressive state!? We're all going to die! :cry::cry: Why?

Rakshiba
12-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Thats probably a good idea. Ad 14 has only been seen since '05 so it's quite likely that you havn't developed any antibodies for it.

Shyvus
12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Uhh, guys?

"We are asking physicians is to be alert, not to panic -- but be alert," says the CDC's Erdman, who stresses that influenza remains a much larger public health concern, killing and causing far more serious illness annually than adenovirus."

MasterSwordUltima
12-24-2007, 01:22 AM
About time we all start dying. Seriously. You guys fucked up big time, having sex all the time like that.

Mother Nature is like, slooooowwww dooowwwn, and you're all like, fuck you, and kick her in the face with your energy legs. Or however the powerthirst commercial goes.

So now mother nature is killing you all. And by you all, I mean all of us.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove here, other than that I ramble when I'm tired.

Rakshiba
12-24-2007, 01:33 AM
About time we all start dying. Seriously. You guys fucked up big time, having sex all the time like that.[/size]

400 BABIES!!!

I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove here, other than that I ramble when I'm tired.[/size]

No, you're right. Were fucked basicly.

Pineconn
12-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Uhh, guys?

"We are asking physicians is to be alert, not to panic -- but be alert," says the CDC's Erdman, who stresses that influenza remains a much larger public health concern, killing and causing far more serious illness annually than adenovirus."

Seriously, though. The media can really blow things out of proportion, especially the War on Terrorism.

You NW Americans keep that virus over there, you here? No need to bring it to the Midwest/NE part of the States. :)

Russ
12-24-2007, 03:27 AM
You NW Americans keep that virus over there, you here? No need to bring it to the Midwest/NE part of the States. :)
There's no need not to. :evil: Just kidding. Ot am I? :sly: