PDA

View Full Version : Save screens, Save/save-quit point, spinning tiles.?

Gleeok
12-19-2007, 01:11 AM
So these are fully working, right? There isn't alot of documentation on these at all, if any. For save screens do you need only that combo type on screen, or the screen data "save screen(sp)(auto)" checked also...something tells me thats for something completely different. Anyone use these at all? And spinning tiles, immediate/random, how are these supposed to work?

pkmnfrk
12-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Judging by its use in NeoFirst, you use save combos by standing on them, and pressing start. That brings up a Save/Don't Save screen. I believe the Save Screen (SP) is like having the Save combo plastered everywhere (that is, anywhere Link presses start, he can save), and (auto) means that he can save as soon has he walks on the screen (this is just conjecture, as I haven't actually tried it).

The spinning tiles are just like those annoying tiles in most zelda games which rise up and then fly towards you. Immediate is just that: As soon as the screen starts, it'll rise up and attack you (all immediate ones go at once). As for Random ones, they don't seem to do anything. Bug or unimplemented feature? I don't know.

Also note that spinning tiles are invisible in build 701 (bug).

Gleeok
12-19-2007, 01:51 AM
The spinning tiles are just like those annoying tiles in most zelda games which rise up and then fly towards you. Immediate is just that: As soon as the screen starts, it'll rise up and attack you (all immediate ones go at once). As for Random ones, they don't seem to do anything. Bug or unimplemented feature? I don't know.

Also note that spinning tiles are invisible in build 701 (bug).

Ah, yes. Hahaha! Using save screens I never pressed start, and never messed with spinning tiles untill 701. That's the reason. Thanks!

So does anyone know if spinning tiles(random) actually works somehow?

Joe123
12-19-2007, 03:58 AM
It doesn't, but you can just have a few different combos that cycle to the immediate ones at random intervals, that seems to wok quite nicely.

EDIT: You could even scipt some ones that only change to the immediate ones when Link walks up to them =P

Nimono
12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Actually, the "Save Screen" Screen Flags are more like Metroid games. They have no effect on the save point thing at all. In fact, they actually USE them!

Save Screen (SP) makes that screen the continue screen if you save on a Save Point combo there. And likewise, Save Screen (Auto) makes the screen the save screen the minute you walk in. Great for Metroid-style "save" cutscenes, like the ones in Exate's Metroid XL-75 Remake (Gosh, it'd be awesome if he remade that for 2.5....)....or the ones in my own quest, Metroid: The Chozo Prophecy.

As far as I know, Spinning Tile (Random) hasn't worked yet. The last time I tried to use it, I was told I HAD to use Spinning Tile (Immediate) instead. D:
Edit: Oh, (Immediate) makes the tile spin the instant you enter the screen. I forgot how to set it up on the tile page, though...

Russ
12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Actually, the "Save Screen" Screen Flags are more like Metroid games. They have no effect on the save point thing at all. In fact, they actually USE them!

Save Screen (SP) makes that screen the continue screen if you save on a Save Point combo there. And likewise, Save Screen (Auto) makes the screen the save screen the minute you walk in. Great for Metroid-style "save" cutscenes, like the ones in Exate's Metroid XL-75 Remake (Gosh, it'd be awesome if he remade that for 2.5....)....or the ones in my own quest, Metroid: The Chozo Prophecy.
Awesome! Time to take advantage of these. On a side note, I never really liked the spin tiles. Mainly because: A. They go through solid walls and stuff and B. They can't be killed with the sword like in other Zelda games.

ShadowTiger
12-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Here's my explanation of Immediate Spinning Tiles. I've obviously never used Random Spinning Tiles before, so don't ask.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/BH4/ZC/ShadowTigerSpinningTilesComboPage1.gif

Basically, to use them, you'll generally want to use them in conjunction with Combo Cycling so that normal (As in, normal-looking.) floors can eventually combo cycle into the Spinning Tile combo that spawns said tile. Then, the actual spinning tile is also a combo, but the one that appears directly to the right of the Immediate Spinning Tile combo. Then, I believe that the tile to its right is the result of the spinning tile having spent its ammunition. Take a look at the following diagram: This seems to be what worked for me. Look at the second column. You'll see some sort of crude white L on a cyan background with an X and infinity sign on it. To the right of that combo are three combos:
The Spinning Tile Immediate combo. The Tile that is flung at you. The floor tile (Or whatever) without the thing it flings.The infinity part underneath it represents an elaborate system of Combo Cycling I had strung up in which that third piece (From the list just above.) actually eventually combo cycles right back into the first piece so that it can fling another piece right back at you. I've drawn some tiles here for you all.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/BH4/ZC/ShadowTigerSpinningTiles1.gif

Here, this should help quite a bit with the tiles page setup. You can just import that right into the DoR Dungeon Palette without a problem, I believe.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/BH4/ZC/SpinningTileSetup.gif

Gleeok
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
OOh 2_6, good show. I'd like one ticket please. I'll be sure to rip those, Thanks.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/BH4/ZC/SpinningTileSetup.gif

I would also like to take a minute to point out the "crazy straw" looking lines that ST has drawn. @_@ Your boredom and artisticiness has not gone unnoticed.

hmm, apparently artisticiness isn't actually a word. I am outraged by this.