PDA

View Full Version : The First Sign of the Apocalypse is Here

Warlock
12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
http://kotaku.com/335467/duke-nuke-em-forever-trailer-hits-tomorrow

Duke Nuke Em Forever Trailer Hits Tomorrow
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/12/DNF_Teaser_Shot.jpg
This just in from George Broussard over on the 3D Realms Forums:

"Last Saturday we had our annual company Christmas party. It was a lot of fun as usual but it featured one special surprise. It turns out that several people had been secretly working late nights and into the wee hours of the morning preparing a special video for those at the party. They created a short teaser for Duke Nukem Forever.
After seeing the teaser we thought it was something we should share with all of you and while it's just a teaser, rest assured more is coming.

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th, around noon CST, we will release the first teaser trailer from Duke Nukem Forever. To tide you over until then, here is a screen shot taken from the teaser.

Thank you for being fans of the game and for your continued patience.

I'd like to thank the people on the team that worked so hard to create this teaser and the friends of 3DR that helped create it (Jeremy Soule and Julian Soule, Frank Bry, Jason Evigan and of course, Jon St. John)."
That's right, it's the end of times. Now translating that from 3D Realms Central Time that means we should be checking out the video around 2 p.m. Mountain, 2027.What? Duke Nukem Forever might actually be released? BLASPHEMY!

Cloral
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Don't forget that they also released a trailer back in 2001, so this may not mean anything.

Warlock
12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Don't forget that they also released a trailer back in 2001, so this may not mean anything.

Yeah but they've been pressured to finish the game. At the very least they've been doing something on it :P But yeah, we'll see.

Archibaldo
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Lol, awesome.

Masamune
12-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm ready to kickass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all out of gum.

Dechipher
12-19-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm all out of ass.

rock_nog
12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
And I looked as he open the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sackcloth, and the moon became as blood.

Aegix Drakan
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
:o But...if this game comes out...

Then we cna no longer make jokes like: "It's called duke nukem forever because it's in development Forever!"

Nooooooooooooo!

Modus Ponens
12-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Jeremy and Julian Soule! They were the composers for Secret of Evermore. So, I guess they probably composed the music for the trailer, and maybe for the game.

I always liked the music in Evermore.

Grasshopper
12-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Then we cna no longer make jokes like: "It's called duke nukem forever because it's in development Forever!"

On a serious note, I thought it was a pun on the word "four" since its 'officially' the 4th game in the series. Much like the 4th Hot Shots golf game being called "Hot Shots Golf: Fore!" Of course, there has been so many Duke Nukem games released since Duke Nukem 3D and now, I guess the title doesn't really have that meaning anymore, or I'm just mistaken. :shrug:

The visuals looks surprisingly good though for a game in development for 10 or more years. Its doesnt' look as dated as say Call of Cthulhu or S.T.A.L.K.E.R., although the latter wasn't that bad. Even though it has switched game engines 3 times or more, I figured time would have still caught up with it more. It is just an image though, so maybe it does look worse.

I wonder if that cigar smoke we see is volumetric smoke like Hell Gate: London was suppose to have.

Warlock
12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
http://duke.a-13.net/

Ok, this is hilarious. It's basically a summary of stuff that has happened since DNF was announced. 75 Mega Man games - lol.

These also crack me up:
"When Duke Nukem Forever was announced, the fastest processor available to consumers was a 233Mhz Pentium. Since then the clock speed of consumer processors has increased over 16 times (32 times counting dual cores), and the fabrication process has decreased from 250nm to 65nm."
"Britney Spears' entire musical career as a pop star has taken place during Duke Nukem Forever's development."
"The concept of Bullet Time has been developed, pioneered, and completely run in to the ground."

mikeron
12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
http://duke.a-13.net/

Ok, this is hilarious. It's basically a summary of stuff that has happened since DNF was announced. 75 Mega Man games - lol.

These also crack me up:
"When Duke Nukem Forever was announced, the fastest processor available to consumers was a 233Mhz Pentium. Since then the clock speed of consumer processors has increased over 16 times (32 times counting dual cores), and the fabrication process has decreased from 250nm to 65nm."
"Britney Spears' entire musical career as a pop star has taken place during Duke Nukem Forever's development."
"The concept of Bullet Time has been developed, pioneered, and completely run in to the ground."

The section on "Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development" was fantastic.

Warlock
12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Trailer is out:
http://kotaku.com/335793/duke-nukem-forever-teaser-trailer?autoplay=true
http://www.primotechnology.com/video/1207/DNF_Teaser_720p_HD.mov (high res)

Grasshopper
12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Looks like the Doom 3 engine.

Yoshiman
12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Now that they released a new trailer, it'll be another six years before we actually hear anything of it again. :p

I'd actually be quite surprised if this game came out sometime in 2008.

rock_nog
12-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I wonder, is there any chance whatsoever that this game won't suck? I just can't think of anything new or original it could possibly offer at this point.

Grasshopper
12-20-2007, 12:21 PM
But that is only amplified by the fact its been in development for more than 10 years, right? I don't see how many game could offer anything new or original. Most games that have scored big this holiday season are a sequel and don't provide anything new either, yet they still sell. Mainly because the name backing them up. They game doesn't have to offer anything new or original, but the name alone doesn't stand too well now as it did back then. I imagine that the marketing for that game has to big enough to push Duke's name out to the public who don't know of him. If the game is good, then it can do the rest.

Just my $.02

Warlock
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
If it actually manages to be good, it doesn't have to be new or original. And in any case, the "originality" comes out of the game's style more than anything else. Duke 3d wasn't particularly original either, except it let you shoot pig cops and rescue strippers. It was full of jokes and one-liners. The style is really what made it shine.

Really, I *am* rooting for this game. I really do want it to be good. I loved Duke 3d. I'm not stupid of course - I won't buy this unconditionally. But I'm not ready to completely dismiss it as well. I'll wait on reviews and see what people think. There's still a chance it might be great, but we'll see.

MottZilla
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
It's funny to me as it seems like Duke Nukem Forever is sorta like a fangame now. Because of the long gap, I think the only people that care are fans of Duke3D.

Warlock
12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
It's funny to me as it seems like Duke Nukem Forever is sorta like a fangame now. Because of the long gap, I think the only people that care are fans of Duke3D.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe right now it is. If the thing ever gets released, and by some miracle the game is *good*, I don't think the asinine development cycle will stop people from buying it.

Course, then there are always the people who know absolutely nothing about it but see strippers on the back of the box and buy it for that :P

rock_nog
12-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm just saying, even though Duke Nukem 3D will forever be remembered for gratuitous violence and strippers, it was actually an innovative game at the time. The engine was one of the most advanced out there until Quake was released, and one of its notable features was the interactive environments, which was definitely a big deal at the time. And there was the Build level editor, which I've never used but I understand it was really much more intuitive and easy to use than most FPS level editors at the time.

Plus, back when DNF was first announced, it, too, promised major innovations, such as drivable vehicles and destructible environments, that weren't a staple of the genre at the time. I know that the humor of the game is one of its major drawing points, but I'm just kinda curious about the fact that it no longer has the edge on innovation.

Warlock
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm just saying, even though Duke Nukem 3D will forever be remembered for gratuitous violence and strippers, it was actually an innovative game at the time. The engine was one of the most advanced out there until Quake was released, and one of its notable features was the interactive environments, which was definitely a big deal at the time. And there was the Build level editor, which I've never used but I understand it was really much more intuitive and easy to use than most FPS level editors at the time.

Plus, back when DNF was first announced, it, too, promised major innovations, such as drivable vehicles and destructible environments, that weren't a staple of the genre at the time. I know that the humor of the game is one of its major drawing points, but I'm just kinda curious about the fact that it no longer has the edge on innovation.

Ya never know. It's been 10 years - they could have come up with SOMETHING :P

But I still don't think it needs to be super innovative (though it shouldn't be mundane either.. at least use the latest innovations from other games to the betterment of this one). The appeal of the franchise has always been its style.

In any case, Halo was never really innovative, but it's popular for some reason :P

rock_nog
12-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Eh, that's my problem, I can't come up with anything, gameplay-wise, that DNF could possibly do that hasn't been done to death already. Hey, maybe if they tone up the gore. You don't see too much of guts and giblets these days - that's actually one of the things I miss about old-school FPS games - you had games like Duke Nukem and Blood and Rise of the Triad where half the fun was having creative ways to splatter your enemies' guts all over the room. Heck, even Doom had enemies turning inside out with a hit from your rocket launcher or BFG, and the bigger enemies always had gory deaths. Now everything's all ragdoll physics - don't get me wrong, I love watching corpses do backflips when hit with rockets, but damnit, sometimes I want to see a spray of bloody chunks.

Oh, and don't get me started on Halo - the reason it sold so well was that it was one of the first halfway decent modern FPS games to come out for consoles. Other than that, it's one of the most bland games I've ever played.

vegeta1215
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Seriously, who cares about Duke Nukem anymore? I was a fan of Duke Nukem 3D, and I don't even care. With all the huge, high profile, innovative shooters out nowadays, I really don't think it even has a chance. All the one liners and grade school humor in the world can't help Duke.

DarkFlameWolf
12-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Well regardless, I'm looking forward to this. Was a big fan of Duke3D, and hope this promises to be just as good.

Grasshopper
12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
:glare:

I made a couple maps for Blood. I wouldn't touch that editor with a 10ft pole now.

Warlock
12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20071221.jpg

hahahaha

King Aquamentus
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
You guys forgot to mention Jack Thompson.

mikeron
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I would've expected Duke to be too hardcore for concentration curls. Oh well, the sound bites alone should make this game worthwhile.