PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights

Joe123
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
So here is my 2 week quest, from the competition over at PureZC.
It's been through quite a few bugfixes now by people playing it over there, so I think it should be quite stable.

This is the 'manual' (I say manual rather than guide or .txt file or whatever because when I wrote it, I was using Oracle of Season's game manual for reference, so I tried to write it so it seemed like a real game ^_^) that I wrote to accompany the game. It's in the zip file with it on the link also. Please don't feel too patronised if you read it and already know how to use ZC (well, I assume almost everyone here does), I added in the section about how to load custom quests because I'm trying to get some of my school friends who have no clue to play it also =P, but you know, the L button is action and all that, some parts aren't entirely obvious.
..::The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights::..
By Joe123

.:Story:.
After his experience on the island of Koholint, Link was exploring uncharted areas of Hyrule.
As he came to the prow of a great mountain, he saw in the distance something he thought he would never see again
Flying towards link was a being of great power, an enigma capable of controlling his very dreams...
And once again, Link was greeted by the Windfish.
Before he realised what was happening, A rift opened in the very mountain upon which he was stood
And Hyrule dissapeared, to be replaced with a strange new land.
As Link awoke to see what had become of his wherabouts, the words of the windfish echoed in this head...
'Fear the Fort Knights Link'!

.:Controls:.
Start - Pressing 'start' will bring up the subscreen where Link can equip different Items, and check the quest status and maps.
A && B - When in the subscreen, Link can equip different items to the A and B buttons. Move the cursor to an item, then press 'A' or 'B' to equip the item to that button. The item attributed to that button can then be used in-game.
L - A variety of actions can be performed with the 'L' button. Link can roll, talk to NPCs, read signposts and other area-specific actions with the 'L' button.

.:How to set up The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights:.
Firstly, The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights must be played in Zelda Classic 2.5 build 679, which can be downloaded at www.shardstorm.com
When you have opened Zelda Classic, and reached the name entry screen, register a new name. Place the cursor on this name, and press the 'A' button. Then press it again to browse for a custom quest. When you have selected The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights, press 'OK', then press 'start'.

You will then be displayed with the 'Designer's Note'. Be sure to follow these instructions, otherwise you may have your items removed by a bug in the game. This is not intentional, but no other way around this bug could be found.

.:Items:.
.Initial Items.
Link starts with 8 heart containers, the Level 1 Sword and Shield, an Empty Bottle and 4 Bombs.
From the shop on the first screen of Eyrus Village, Link can buy more Bombs, a Potion to put in the Bottle, or the Level 2 Shield that will block fireballs.

.Weaponry.
As Link progresses through the quest, a variety of extra weapons will become available to him.
Sword - The Sword is Link's key weapon. Used to take down a variety of enemies and trip lever-switches, it is an important and powerful asset. Rumour has it that another, more powerful sword may be hidden in the world of the Fort Knights also...
Bombs - Link starts with 4 bombs, and can carry up to a maximum of 10. Some enemies drop bombs. Bombs can be used to blast through some obstacles, and are also a powerful weapon against many enemies.
Ember Seeds - Link can aquire Ember Seeds, which will unleash a small ball of flame, capable of damaging some enemies and burning small bushes.
Arrows - After Link aquires Arrows, he can buy more from the shop in Eyrus Village. Arrows are a powerful, long-ranged weapon. Link can hold 30 Arrows.
Hookshot - Link can use the Hookshot to latch onto certain rocks, pulling himself across holes. The Hookshot can also be used to freeze almost all enemies - including Darknuts and Wizzrobes!
Hammer - Link's Hammer will smash through all enemy defences, as well as pounding pegs into the ground.
Boomerang - Ralph who lives in Eyrus Village has a Boomerang for sale to Link. With this weapon, Link can paralyze many enemies, making them much easier to defeat!

.Tunics.
Red - The Red Tunic will allow Link to survive in hot areas, which are usually cautioned to him by signs.
Blue - The Blue Tunic will allow Link to swim.
Gold - The Gold Tunic will allow Link to see invisible enemies, aswell as raising his defence!

.Miscellaneous.
Potion - Link can drink a Potion to restore 8 hearts of Life.
Ocarina - The Ocarina can be used to trigger a variety of secrets.
Roc's Cape - When Link aquires the Roc's Cape, he will be able to fly over many obstacles.
Heart Container Piece - There are 20 Heart Container Pieces scattered across the land. When Link aquires four Heart Container Pieces, his maximum hearts will increase by one.
Heart Container - When Link defeats a Fort Knight, he will get one extra Heart Container.

.Quest Items.
The three Medallions held by the Fort Knights in Razmargus, Hersilia and Odentia will allow Link access to where the Commander Knight dwells in Tasmerat Fort.

And now...
For some screen shots:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda013.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda015.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda024.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda016.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda012.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda022.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda017.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda016-1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda021.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda020.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda015-1.jpghttp://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/Joe123ZC/The%20Fort%20Knights/zelda014.jpg

Just to stress again, this is to be played in ZC 2.5 Build 679

Anyway, the file can be found here (http://two.xthost.info/Joe123/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20The%20Fort%20Knights.zip)

It's not the best quest ever, it's quite short and such, but I hope people enjoy it :)
I'll probably upgrade it for the winter quest competition, with larger dungeons and perhaps bomb bag upgrades and other such hidden items, so at that point I'll add it to the database, and hopefully to Pure's if I can do so.

bluedeath
12-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Awsome quest! I found a bug in razmargus, in screenshot where link is playing the ocarina, when the lava turns solid there you can go the the room down and the game freezes.

Gleeok
12-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Ouch, it's hot in here. Say, where might one find the red tunic?

Wait, better yet, uh..which way to level 1? ..I'm lost, and just started playing. I probabnly missed something obvious. That's what usually happens with me and new quests. :googly:

Russ
12-21-2007, 05:03 AM
In the southern area of the lava flows, if you make a mad dash through a hot zone, you can reach the red tunic. Then just go back through hot zones in caves and you will eventually reach level 1.

Gleeok
12-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Bug: I obtained the lava pendant without even going through the lave flows or defeating the boss, Not to mention not having the red tunic. Also at the lv2 boss the ghosted enemy was stuck at 0,0 after dying once and was unable to beat it....which led me to the other thing mentioned just by going north one screen. I guess it's my fault for using b701 though. The enemy pointers must be different in this build.

For quests like this we really need a good stable version.

Russ
12-21-2007, 05:01 PM
The boss bug strikes again! Joe123, do you have any idea whatsoever about what could be causing the bug? And Gleeok, you should use build 679 to play it. At least, I think it is build 679.

Joe123
12-21-2007, 05:29 PM
:(

I have completely run out of ideas as to what to do for that.
Gleeok, would you mind having a look at the .qst file?

Gleeok
12-21-2007, 07:43 PM
:(

I have completely run out of ideas as to what to do for that.
Gleeok, would you mind having a look at the .qst file?

Yeah, sure, no problem. I'd sometimes get odd behavior when two or more scripts were pointing to the same NPC and trying to move it around.(which turned out to be my fault) All those were working great for me in 701, which is one reason I was using it to play this.

Other than that there were no other bugs found, and I never even quit->saved at the begining.

Joe123
12-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Eeeeek!

You can't not do that!

If you don't, when you save and restart it removes all of your items the first time!

It is there for a reason ¬_¬

But if it worked for you, then that's great I suppose :)
Shoelace said it worked fine for him too, just didn't want to take the chance really, quite a crippling bug.

Thanks for having a look. There aren't two scripts pointing at the same NPC though...

Gleeok
12-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Umm, could you point me in the direction of the problem screens in map coordinates please.;)

Joe123
12-21-2007, 08:30 PM
All on map 5;
(1,3)
(2,3)
(3,B)
(7,2)

EDIT: Nice subliminal message by the way.

Gleeok
12-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Why is there cast errors on isSolid!?

anyway I think it's fixed. What are the goto Dmap coordinates for the 4 bosses?

EDIT: OK, one question. were you using Trace at all for any script?

edit2: nevermind, found it.

So here's what happened: The two shooters were (!(isValid)) so it Quit();, leaving them at 0,0. I dont know why though. So for this quest only maybe use this one instead.(since your using enemies->secrets and it's a beta).

ffc script enemy_ghost{
void run(int enemy_id, int other_ffc, int what_enemy){
npc ghost_enemy = Screen->CreateNPC(enemy_id);
int tx = this->X;
int ty = this->Y;
ffc other = Screen->LoadFFC(other_ffc);
int ox = other->X;
int oy = other->Y;
while (true){
if(!(ghost_enemy->isValid())){ npc ghost_enemy = Screen->LoadNPC(what_enemy);}
if (Screen->NumNPCs() >= 1){
if(other_ffc == 0){
ghost_enemy->X = tx+8;
ghost_enemy->Y = ty+8;
tx = this->X;
ty = this->Y;
}else{
ghost_enemy->X = ox+8;
ghost_enemy->Y = oy+8;
ox = other->X;
oy = other->Y;
}
}
Waitframe();
}
}
}

Also the bug where you can roll over the spikes at the lv2 boss is your fault. ;) Make sure all non-walkable combos are layer 0 when using isSolid! Yeah, I've got an entire level where you can run right over trees and get stuck in pits and shit..:mad:

Joe123
12-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Hrm.
I shall try using that script, but sometimes the HP enemy will also stick in the top left hand corner too, and using that won't make any difference.
If you check the buffer, the actual bosses have their movement and NPC attachment done in the same script, that one would just be to attach the attacks.

Ah, I meant to make the top half of those spikes unwalkable but I forgot.
I shall do that.

Gleeok
12-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Damn, I've found the problem. It's a bug with pointers to CreateNPC or isValid. For this quest you can fix the problem by;

Waitframes(4);
npc boss = Screen->LoadNPC(1);

Next time just report it instead. ;)

DarkDeath
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Man the screens look beautiful could you point me in the direction of the tile set?
And the quest, is the bug gone yet? I will play it when you confirm you fixed it or you can't :)

Joe123
12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Right, so what you want me to do is set the enemy in the room as a normal enemy rather than a scripted one, than use LoadNPC instead of CreateNPC?
Correct?

The tileset is Akkabus' new CGBZ (Colour GameBoy Zelda) tileset.
Glenn the Great and Taco_Chopper also have made GB Zelda tilesets, but this is by far the best organised; the way the palettes work is really nice.

However, it's not finished yet. You could use the version he has out now, or just delete everything in my .qst file and use that if you wish, it's unpassworded, or you could wait until the final thing is released.
Although I've made a full game with it, I had to add a hell of a lot of combos and it's really disorganised in there, but you might get some idea of what you want?
I dunno.

Gleeok
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I beat it finally.:D Some of those keys are hard to find.

Oh, and forget about the scripting stuff I posted earlier. Just wait untill a build that's more bug free I guess. But yeah, I've never have a problem with LoadNPC before. I'm pretty certain if you used that instead it would work every time.

Neat quest. Did you win the contest or whatever it was?

Joe123
12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah right, I'll change it to LoadNPC, fix the invisible save bug and the rolling over spikes in level 2 boss bug.

Glad you managed to beat it =P

They're running the contest till March for some reason, so I won't know till then.
Can't really think why it's open for so long.

Would you mind voting over there?
It's in the 1337 D3s1gn P4d QPF.

Crackers
12-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Can someone please tell me how to get the shield and potion in the shop? I dont' know what the "L" key means. I've never made a quest so this is beyond my knowledge. I looked in settings but just don't understand, how to get these items or get people to talk.

Russ
12-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Can someone please tell me how to get the shield and potion in the shop? I dont' know what the "L" key means. I've never made a quest so this is beyond my knowledge. I looked in settings but just don't understand, how to get these items or get people to talk.

You know where you set the controls for ZC? Well you can set the "L" botton with that. Or, by default, "L" is the "z" key on the computer's keyboard.

Joe123
12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Click on the game to bring up the file menu.
Go to Settings->Key Buttons.
There you can set up your keys to be whatever you like.

:)

Good luck Mr.

Crackers
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the help Joe123 and russadwan. I finally figured it out. duh!! I do have another question though. How do I get the boomer from the guy in the house or is there another one somewhere else?

Russ
12-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I am not sure, but I think you have to talk to Ralph (the guy with the boomerang) after level 2 for him to sell you the boomerang.

Joe123
12-31-2007, 09:11 AM
That would be how it works, yes ;)

Crackers
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Okay, got the boomer and finally got to the Commonder. I never found the lv2 sword. My problem is the boss doesn't move. He stays in the same place and there are, or so it looks wizrobes shooting on the sides in the black area. And yes, I am using 679. Is there something I need to do to activate him?

Joe123
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Ugh.

I'm afraid that's a rather nasty bug that I still haven't been able to fix.

I really do apologise, because it does ruin the game.

If you're lucky, it may work if you reset the system and try again a few times.

And I'm not so sure it is a version specific problem anymore, but I'm glad you heeded the warning anyway =P

Crackers
12-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Bummer!!

KCJV
12-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Link seems to be dead (no, not the hero Link, the download link) <insert ba-dum-tss.wav>
https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiovde6hP3JAhVOhhoKHf8dC2cQyCkIIjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6z XDo4dL7SU&usg=AFQjCNGyaXtAE3wiNBf3ftuHQWFFwGMqig&sig2=5-vtjKBLn47-WGQI2ZE_mw