PDA

View Full Version : Is the window on the Left or the Right?

MrCow
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Is the window on the Left or the Right? (http://www.ukimagehost.com/uploads/86d72083ff.jpg)
Thoughts.. IT IS SO FRIGGEN TRIPPY

Russ
12-16-2007, 12:41 AM
It's on the left. You can tell by the top of the window.

Pineconn
12-16-2007, 12:41 AM
It depends. If you're looking near the top of the window, it looks like it's on the right. If you're looking near the bottom, it looks like it's on the left. Next.

MrCow
12-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Obviously that is the case but it is a well drawn picture that I thought I'd share my finding with you guys.

Pineconn
12-16-2007, 12:45 AM
I agree, that was done pretty well. There are a few videos that are like that, but I've never seen a picture like that specifically.

I love optical illusions.

Which way is she spinning? (http://science-community.sciam.com/thread.jspa?threadID=300001077)

Russ
12-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Optical illusions are neat. But often times they make my head hurt. :scared:. I used to know a really good optical illusion website. I'll see if I can find it, and if I can, I'll post a link to it here.

punkonjunk1024
12-16-2007, 12:55 AM
The spinning one is stupid. The black and white to color castle thing is great.

rock_nog
12-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Ha! I finally figured out how to make the spinning woman change directions. Damn, that was tricky, though, and it still takes a helluva lot of concentration, even once you figure it out.

erm2003
12-16-2007, 01:28 AM
The first time I looked at the spinning woman I saw her going clockwise. Then I saw rock nog's post so I thought I would try it again. I was able to get her to go counter-clockwise, which is what I expected I would have seen in the first place since I am more left-brained. Now I am having trouble trying to get the direction changed again. Very interesting.

EDIT: OK, I finally got it. Very cool.

Russ
12-16-2007, 01:42 AM
That spinning lady is creepy. I saw her spinning counter-clockwise. But as soon as I started reading the article, she started spinnning in the opposite direction. Strange.

Edot: Oh my gosh! I can make her change directions easily. When I do math problems, she starts spinning counter-clockwise. But when I start thinking creativly (like planning out my ZC quest) she spins the other way. That is so creepy.

Masamune
12-16-2007, 02:11 AM
It's in the middle.

Gleeok
12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Holy shit. That's pretty neat. Notice the shadow of her elevated leg, it seems the lighting only really makes sense when she is rotating counterclockwise....or does it, hrm, man that's weird.

..Aah! You can make her switch directions halfway through every loop...ok, that's all for me, I'm done.

Also the window is upside-down. ;)

Mitsukara
12-16-2007, 09:06 AM
The glass panels/shutters on the window overlap the arch on top, making the right impossible and both directions somewhat awkward looking; I can sort of twist it, seeing parts of it face one way and parts the other.

At least to me in close inspection. But I can otherwise see the optical illusion at work.

MasterSwordUltima
12-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Spinning Lady is dangerous.

Nicholas Steel
12-16-2007, 06:25 PM
isnt the spinning lady just timed well? IE: you have no real control over it, after x time has past it changes direction?

holy f*ck, scrolling rapidly over the lady makes it change directions very early >.>

Modus Ponens
12-17-2007, 03:45 AM
You know, when I first read russadwan's post--specifically his "edot"--I will admit that I thought he was just saying that to make himself sound cool, but I wanted to try it out. So I reopened the page with the spinning girl, who, as usual when I first load up that image, appeared to be spinning clockwise. Then I closed my eyes. I began to improvise a melody and try to picture a chord progression beneath it, and I attached to this melody a set of interpretive arm movements (I must have looked pretty stupid, but I was alone in my room). After a little while, I reopened my eyes, and there she was, spinning counter-clockwise. Then I closed them again and began to compute the derivatives of mathematical formulas in my head. When I opened my eyes she spun clockwise again.

Based on this evidence, it seems likely that the harder one tries to mentally plan a logical way to get her to spin counter-clockwise, the harder one will find it to get her to do anything but spin clockwise.

Fascinating.

Icey
12-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think the spinning lady is an illusion at all? I think it's just an image that after a certain time changes direction, and bases the starting direction on some criteria I'm not sure of. The only times it ever changes its rotational direction for me are when a) I wait a while or b) I refresh the page and sometimes then it will be going the other way. Also it appears to be animating faster during the clockwise spin than during the counter-clockwise one.

I dunno, I just don't trust it...

At any rate, it moves counter clockwise for me ~80% of the time, although I doubt that means anything.

Edit: I'm pretty convinced this is a fake. Anyone with me on that?

Nicholas Steel
12-17-2007, 05:01 AM
nope, can see it change by staring between it and its shadow and defocussing my eyes.

my question is, does it spin at all?

Grasshopper
12-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think the spinning lady is an illusion at all? I think it's just an image that after a certain time changes direction, and bases the starting direction on some criteria I'm not sure of. ...

Edit: I'm pretty convinced this is a fake. Anyone with me on that?

I'll have to disagree. Its just an animated gif with 34 frames. It doesn't change direction.

I'm able to can get it to spin any direction I want whenever I want, so I'm confident its not just changing directions.

Modus Ponens
12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
fake

EDIT: Wait, no, no, not fake! Not fake.

Too much YouTube...

Icey
12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I think the only fair way for me to find out if it's fake or not is to watch it with someone else on the same computer at the same time. If we see it moving in different directions at the same time, then it will clearly be a genuine illusion. Otherwise, I'll consider it fake.

Yeah, I guess I may be a little overly skeptical. But you never know with the internet... Plus I am terrible with optical illusions, and was suprised this one worked for me at all. That's probably what set off the suspicion in the first place.

Breaker
12-17-2007, 09:27 PM
I can also get it to spin directions at will by focusing on the shadow at the bottom.

Nicholas Steel
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
no one has answered my question yet =) does the lady spin at all? if yes then what direction? im after the direction she really is spinning and not the direction we perceive her to spin at.

Pineconn
12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I really have no idea she really is "spinning." I wonder how the people made this.

But! I guarantee you guys that it is not fake. I was the same way at first, but I can change her direction at will now. It's pretty sweet.

Prrkitty
12-18-2007, 12:56 AM
With the spinning lady - she didn't change rotation until Paul scrolled the window to where all I could see was her foot. After that ... I could change her rotation.

The window... eh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistable_perception <-- The arrows on the right side of the article - keep changing direction every time I look at them.

Here's another one: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/col_lilacChaser/index.html

Grasshopper
12-18-2007, 11:32 AM
no one has answered my question yet =) does the lady spin at all? if yes then what direction? im after the direction she really is spinning and not the direction we perceive her to spin at.

No, she does not spin at all. The image rotates left to right and back again. Due to the angle at which the silhouette is positioned, it tricks our mind into thinking its rotating.

Its similar to the rotating window illusion (http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/trapezoidal_window/trap_window.html). You have a trapezoidal object that resembles a window seen from an angle. You stick it on a rotating shaft that rotates at 360 degrees. This creates an optical illusion that the window is just moving back and forth 180 degrees.

The spinning lady does the same thing except vice versa. The image is only rotating at 180 degrees and back, not 360.

Modus Ponens
12-18-2007, 05:36 PM
In Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, when I view the 3-D map of the planet and rotate it toward and away from the camera, I often inadvertently experience multistable perception of which way the map is tipping. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't see it as much in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, supposedly because you can't tip the map all the way to horizontal.

Pineconn
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
With the spinning lady - she didn't change rotation until Paul scrolled the window to where all I could see was her foot. After that ... I could change her rotation.

The window... eh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistable_perception <-- The arrows on the right side of the article - keep changing direction every time I look at them.

Here's another one: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/col_lilacChaser/index.html

That second one has to be the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life. I can get just a rotating green circle.

In Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, when I view the 3-D map of the planet and rotate it toward and away from the camera, I often inadvertently experience multistable perception of which way the map is tipping. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't see it as much in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, supposedly because you can't tip the map all the way to horizontal.

Y'know, I noticed that too once or twice. I actually thought that the game rendered the map incorrectly until I shifted my focus.

Nicholas Steel
12-18-2007, 11:19 PM
I agree, that was done pretty well. There are a few videos that are like that, but I've never seen a picture like that specifically.

I love optical illusions.

Which way is she spinning? (http://science-community.sciam.com/thread.jspa?threadID=300001077)
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27

the answer is given :P