PDA

View Full Version : Cancel Warp?

Joe123
12-14-2007, 04:13 AM
There are few features from 2.10 that I don't now have a grasp of, Palette Cycling was always one, but I never really saw much need to learn it.

Anyway. What is cancel warp? I've always wondered this, I just saw _L_ making changes to it at shardstorm.

_L_
12-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Let's check the wiki:
Cancel warp: Warp combo types have no effect on this screen. Can be used in demos and betas to stop a player from progressing farther than is intended.Well, there it is. Certainly, it's a feature I wouldn't have thought to add.

Joe123
12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Interesting...

So it's for the lazy questmaker who doesn't want to make new combos for doorways on screens that don't go anywhere?

ScaryBinary
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
One thing I've used the Cancel warp for is to define a boundary for enemies. Enemies won't walk on a Combo that is a Direct Warp type, so by enclosing enemies in walkable Direct Warp type combos, Link is free to move around but the enemies won't cross the boundary. Set the Tile Warp for the screen to Cancel so Link won't actually warp anywhere when he steps on the tiles.

It might seem sort of stupid to keep enemies off parts of the screen that Link can walk on but I've done it for the following reasons:

(1) Shallow Water Combos: Enemies can walk on these (at least some of them can) but they don't make the "splash" that Link does when he walks on them, so it looks a little awkward. I put a Cancel Warp boundary to keep the enemies from walking in shallow water.

(2) I've made a few screens with fences and so on, and instead of having to figure out how to make a gate than can be opened and closed, I just left a "space" and put a Cancel Warp combo there to keep the enemies from crossing it. Chalk that one up to laziness.

There are a few drawbacks to this method. The biggie is that you can't have a Tile Warp on the same screen, since you either have to set it to Cancel or a real warp....As far as I know, you can't have two different types of Tile Warps on the same screen (in 2.10, at least), but I could be wrong.

The other is an oddity that I just found (don't know if anyone else has found it yet) but if you have a Cancel Warp combo and a Side Warp defined on the same screen, it seems to screw up Link's exit warp .... he won't always appear where he's supposed to when he side-warps to another DMap.

Joe123
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I suppose that's a viable use for it, but with 'No Enemies' flag in 2.5 it looses it's usefulness really.