PDA

View Full Version : a layer problem

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Well, im using layers in my dungeon for things like trees and such, but then when im done on that screen and go to the next one to do some more layering, all the layering is exactly the same as the screen before. And if you go over them, the first screens layering goes too, how can i stop this?:newbie::confuse2:?

ChainLink
12-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Can you be a little more specific about what's going on? What I'm getting from you is that you're making changes to layers on a second screen and the changes you're making to those layers are appearing on the layers from the first screen. Am I understanding the problem correctly?

Russ
12-08-2007, 03:19 AM
If you make changes to a screen being used as a layer, the screen that uses the layer will be affected.

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 03:39 AM
im using layers for say, clouds and things like that, and when i move to the next screen to do some more, it has the same clouds and things as the screen before, and when i go over them, the first screens modified too.

ChainLink
12-08-2007, 04:20 AM
What Editor version are you using?

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 04:33 AM
v2.10w

Freedom
12-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Each layer must use it's own screen.
SO...
If you have a map with .... 64 screens and you want layers 1, 3 and 6 on each of those screens in that map, then you need a total of 4 maps with 64 screens each, your base layer 0, and the other 3 maps for your layers.

Layering is simply putting one screen on top of the other, like with the old overhead projection units you saw in school as a kid.

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 05:20 AM
hmmm......il try..

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 05:21 AM
seems, complicated...

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 05:37 AM
does it make anything harder then building normaly?

ChainLink
12-08-2007, 05:39 AM
I get the feeling that while you're learning more about how layers work from the other posts here, you're still not getting your question answered. I'm trying to narrow down what's going on. Let me ask you this. When you say you are "switching screens" do you mean you are switching screens on different maps (i.e. different layers) or are you switching screens on the same map? (my guess is the same map, so...)

Hmmm...you're not using the 4 screens laid out horizontally in the far lower left part of the map are you? (the row that doesn't reach all the way across the map?).

Have you been using / applying templates? I suppose accidentally applying a template could cause all kinds of chaos depending on what you've done.

Are you using the Auto feature in layers? I hope not. Let me know.

RESPONSE: it just means placing more combos per "tile" per layer. If you want to see layering done right, just open up the 210.test.qst and go look at The Lost Woods area. Play around with it.

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Yes, I mean switching screens on the same map,
No, im not using them, I never do.
Nope im not using any templates, and im not using the auto feature.

The_Amaster
12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Freedom has it right here. Your trying to use the same layer screen for more than one base screen. Like he said, imagine an overhead projector. If you have the same second sheet over the two base sheets, it looks like what your getting, am I right. Each base screen has a corsosponding screen for each of it's layers. You can't use one for all of them.

Imprisoned
12-08-2007, 11:12 AM
I know it's answered many times here, but the problem exists.
I'll make it simple:

Choice One

Use the auto feature. Go to the layers menu, and select the layer you want to create, and press the auto button. Then just select the DMap to be the layermap for that DMap.
Don't touch the fields "DMap" and "Screen" in the layer menu, outside the autolayer menu.

Choice Two

Use the "DMap" and "Screen" fields on the layer menu. For example if you are on Map 1 and your layermap is Map 2, put to the DMap field "2". Then to the screen field, the same number than what screen you are viewing now.

In a nutshell:
You are viewing DMap 1, Screen 1.
Layers are: DMap 2, Screen 1.

ChainLink
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Way to pin down a good explanation of it, Imprisoned. You're right, this has got to be what's going on because I can't think of anything else weird that might be tripping him up. Good call.

zeldanerd
12-08-2007, 05:49 PM
ohhhhhhhhh, right so your saying that each screens layering needs another screen, so every screen is more then one screen?

ChainLink
12-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes. I think you're grasping it now. It's like Freedom said, each layer has it's own screen. Let's say your going to use Imprisoned's second method to create an overworld screen. If you have a screen for 1. what's below Link (for say the bottom of a transparent pond), then 2. the screen Link stands on (which you might as well consider a layer now since there are other layers present), then 3. a layer above Link (usually for say treetops and building tops) and 4. a layer on top of that (for clouds), then you'd have 4 screens "layered" to make 1 screen.

For the way you were wanting to use it, you'd have at least 2 or here's an idea for 3:

1. The clouds causing precipitation (with breaks in it or with transparency to show what's below)
2. The precipitation (snow, rain, whatever)
3. The ground Link is standing on

Remember, you've actually got 7 layers to work with. Link stands on Layer 3. But for me, 7 layers would be just an insane amount of work. Love to try it but don't have THAT kind of time.