PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Silver Members - f@#$ you!

Warlock
12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/12/04/fyi-free-xbox-live-marketplace-content-and-silver-accounts.aspx

Just a reminder that if you have a Silver account, you won’t have access to free content on the the Marketplace (like demos) when they are first posted. That content will be available to Gold level exclusively for one week, after which Silver members will have access to the free content.

The Fall update has a special message (above) to reflect this as well. If you have a Silver account and you see a piece of content that has a red circle with a slash through it (like the ‘Ryan Industries Plasmids and Gene Tonics’ content above) you’ll have to wait until a week after the content is released to access it.

This is not done to annoy our Silver members—limited time exclusive access to content is just one of the many benefits of having a Gold Xbox Live account.

Thanks a friggin' lot Microsoft. So because I don't own any online games you are going to screw me out of DLC? Real nice move there.

And yes, this is absolutely done to annoy Silver members (into paying for Gold). As Tycho put it, " if there were a museum devoted exclusively to terrible ideas, this one would feature prominently on the brochure."

MasterSwordUltima
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I suppose if I had an XBox, this would be discerning. But I don't, so its not.

However, this is blatantly obvious that they want the sheltered kids of america to get their parents to get them a gold account. Also money.

vegeta1215
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Wow, so you have to wait a week. Boo hoo hoo. :rolleyes: Seriously, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. Of course MS wants everyone to get a Gold account, but lessening the load on their servers for a week is certainly appealing to them too.

MottZilla
12-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Besides it being a perk, it also would help with server load when big demos come out. Bandwidth isn't free. If you don't have gold account, what's wrong with you? You need it for multiplayer.

Cloral
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
So that explains why you would never respond when I invited you to play online games with me.

Breaker
12-05-2007, 10:32 PM
What's a silver account? wtf, upgrade to gold.

AlexMax
12-06-2007, 01:05 AM
What's a silver account?

A miserable little pile of secrets.

MottZilla
12-06-2007, 01:25 AM
A miserable little pile of secrets.

Ownage.

So that explains why you would never respond when I invited you to play online games with me.

Did you mean me? All I ever see you on is Halo 3 and I only rented that. :p

Warlock
12-06-2007, 01:34 AM
The only online game I have is Crackdown. Why would I want to pay to play that online?

Cloral
12-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Did you mean me? All I ever see you on is Halo 3 and I only rented that. :p

Nope.

The only online game I have is Crackdown. Why would I want to pay to play that online?

You also have Contra which can be played 2 player online. I've done this several times with WarLord. And you seem to be forgetting Bomberman. I don't see the point in owning that if you're not going to play online.

Warlock
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Nope.

You also have Contra which can be played 2 player online. I've done this several times with WarLord. And you seem to be forgetting Bomberman. I don't see the point in owning that if you're not going to play online.

Yeah but XBLA titles aren't really worth it either. Bomberman is maybe the only thing close to being worth it.

Anyways, to answer your other question, I've never seen an invite except that one first time I was playing Crackdown when I still had my free gold subscription. But my little brother likes to play sometimes too (mostly GH2 and Crackdown, or demos.. he loves the NCAA Football demo :P), so maybe you sent them when he was on.