PDA

View Full Version : The New Annual Winter Quest Contest:

Russ
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I hope nobody minds me starting (what I hope to be) an new tradition. AGN has been getting pretty boring. I noticed that at Pure ZC, there is a two week quest contest going on. I figured AGN should have one. So here we have it, the anual Winter Quest Contest.
Here are the rules:

You cannot start until December 1st.
Submissions due December 28th.
Winner announced on New Year's Day (January 1st).
Awards are, best quest, funniest quest, most advanced quest (most neat features), strangest quest, and best storyline.
The quest must have at least 2 dungeons. It can be as many as you like, but 2 is the mimimum.
It must have a decent sized overworld (it can't be four screens, one for each dungeon). 5x5 screens is the minimum.
It must be with 2.10 or higher. You can use alpha builds if you like.
You can use whatever tileset you want.
There will be five judges, each one with vote worth 10%. Judges cannot enter. Current judges are me and DarkDragon.
Everyone else can vote for their favorite in a poll. These combined votes are worth 50%.

So go make a quest. Be creative. Go for 1st.

And because I know Joe123 will be asking, you can substitute dungeons with big belated overworlds.

LostInHyru1e
11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
This looks cool. I don't know about the categories(strangest quest...?) but the idea of the contest sounds awesome. Heh, if I could finish Eternal Winter by then... for the Winter quest contest... heh.

Anyway, what are the limitations of quests that can be entered? When do they have to have been made? Within the past 3 months, or whenever?

Russ
11-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Starting Dec. 1st

I'll change the rule to two or more dungeons

bluedeath
11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Sounds fun but this would take time from my quest :S. unless I made a short but maybe fun winter quest then I may think about it.

LostInHyru1e
11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds fun but this would take time from my quest :S. unless I made a short but maybe fun winter quest then I may think about it.

If I am not mistaken, I think that you may not start building until today. Then you can submit it later, and they will be judged.

Russ
11-30-2007, 10:01 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think that you may not start building until today. Then you can submit it later, and they will be judged.
Yes, you can start building the quest today.

Joe123
11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
And because I know Joe123 will be asking, you can substitute dungeons with big belated overworlds.

Very good :D

I take it this is a new beta version, correct?
You won't catch me making it on 2.10 nowadays.

And can I use the same one as for Pure's competition?
I really don't have the time to make two, with christmas coming up and all.

Gleeok
11-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I really don't have the time to make two, with christmas coming up and all.

No one does. Perhaps extend the date to new years? People go out of town this time of year and all.

I will be judging.

So even if a quest might be a tad on the hard side, you'll finish it and not judge it biasedly on personal preference?

...is biased-ly a word?! ...it is now. :)

Joe123
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh, I'm glad someones trying to do something to get things happening here by the way :D

It's a bit dead around recently :(
Pure gets all the attention.

Russ
11-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Okay, I'll extend the date to January 1st, '08. Yes Joe123, you can use the same quest as the one you are making for Pure ZC. And you can use any version (including alpha builds). And I will not be biased based on personal prefernce. Plus, there will be a pole for people to vote on their favorite.

LostInHyru1e
12-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Good, 'cause I was planning on making the same quest for both. Because of the season, it shall be a very small overworld that will be snowing out the entire time... you know, to keep up with the festivities. :)

I think we should have 5 (Impartial)judges+voters. Perhaps the Judges could each get 10% of the weight and the voters could split the other 50%?

Russ
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I think we should have 5 (Impartial)judges+voters. Perhaps the Judges could each get 10% of the weight and the voters could split the other 50%?
I like that idea. Who wants to be a judge? Of course, you can't vote for your own quest if you are a judge, so it would be better to judge if you are not entering the contest.

DarkDragon
12-01-2007, 04:25 AM
I'll judge if there's a slot that needs to be filled.

LostInHyru1e
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I think that the judges should all not be entering, and anyone who enters can be a voter and share 50%.

DarkDragon, I'm sure you'd be welcome as a judge.

Russ
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I'll judge if there's a slot that needs to be filled.
Sure you can. Now we need three more judges.

LostInHyru1e
12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Wait, Russ, are you going to be adding a quest or just judging?

Russ
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Wait, Russ, are you going to be adding a quest or just judging?
Just judging. I got my hands full with making a quest for the Pure ZC contest, fixing the day and night script, and trying to finish remaking End of Time. There is no way I can make another small quest to submit. Unless, maybe I won't judge and I'll submit the same quest I making for the Pure ZC contest.

DarkDeath
12-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Seems like a splinded idea but the rules still need editing quite a bit lol

-the quote doesn't work
-it tells you to have at least 2 then it says 4 as a minimum <.<

Russ
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Seems like a splinded idea but the rules still need editing quite a bit lol

-the quote doesn't work
-it tells you to have at least 2 then it says 4 as a minimum <.<
Fixed!

SpacemanDan
12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Sound like fun. If I can make something, I'll definately submit it for the contest.
One question. though: How would you define a "decent sized" overworld. I'm just curious.

Russ
12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Just don't make it like this: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=quests&id=168.

I'd say about at least a 7 by 7 overworld.

SpacemanDan
12-02-2007, 03:43 PM
So, almost a BS overworld. That works. I had that in mind when I was thinking about my overworld. Thanks! :D

LostInHyru1e
12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I would suggest that it only NEEDS to be 5x5, 7x7 might be a bit much for some people... mine is going to be that size, I'm just saying is all. :)

Russ
12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Okay, 5x5 it is.

Joe123
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Oooh I'm actually doing dungeons & cave networks you know =P

Albiet very short ones.

Are you entering Russ?

Russ
12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Maybe. I am trying to get a quest done in time to submit it to the Pure ZC two week quest contest. If it gets a good rating there, I might enter it here.

DarkDeath
12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
So those are the final edition of rules :D ?
I might actually try the contest.

LostInHyru1e
12-03-2007, 09:21 PM
You'd better get started!!

Gleeok
12-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Wow, it's hard to get get all this done in a little over three weeks. I should hopefully have three completed 64 screen Dmaps in time.(hopefully)

What i'm shooting for is 3 dungeons:
-Pyramid of Entrapment
-Catacombs
-Moldy Fort
14 custom bosses,
14 custom item classes,
a few npc's, and a half assed storyline and bgm thrown in at the last minute. Time sucks, but i've decided to finish!

Is anyone else still doing this?

Russ
12-18-2007, 03:04 AM
If anyone can't finish by the deadline, I will set it back a little. The truth is, I doubt I'll be able to make the deadline.

And I was thinking of haveing a contest like this every two months, but each time with a different theme (e.g. one month theme is island based quest, another month theme is seoson based, etc.) Anyone like the idea?

DarkDeath
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
It sounds good, You should push it back to around january 15 then I might try again lol :) cause I messed up weeks ago and just stopped but more time might get me doing it again.

Russ
12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
It sounds good, You should push it back to around january 15 then I might try again lol :) cause I messed up weeks ago and just stopped but more time might get me doing it again.
Okay, here is what I have planned. Every other month, I set up a contest like this one, but each one has a theme. It starts on the first of the month, and goes into the fifteenth of the next month. That sound good? So the contest is extended untill the fifteenth of January.

Joe123
12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
ooo, theme sounds interesting :D

Make a themed quest in a month!
That's a great idea :D

What sort of themes did you have in mind?

Russ
12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, I have been playing around with a bunch of themes. Like a quest with a seoson system for a theme, or maybe a theme like must have a huge storyline twist. I think next month is prbably going to be the storyline twist. Mostly because I am pretty sure I have a storyline twist that will top any other.

DarkDeath
12-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Story line twist sounds like the best contest Idea ever! maybe you should do Ideas instead of seasons from now on?

LostInHyru1e
12-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Russ, how do I submit my quest?

Russ
12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Russ, how do I submit my quest?
Just PM a link to the quest to me. And if it is not to much trouble, could you use either media fire or Zshare (most other file upload sites get blocked by my internet security). And just out of curiosity, is anyone still doing this contest? It seems like the Pure ZC two week contest was a lot more popular than this one is.

And only 17 days are left.

Gleeok
12-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Well I'm trying, but my efforts seem to be going towards trying to figure out why stuff doesn't work, rather than actually building a quest. I've done nothing useful in the last two weeks really.

Joe123
12-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I was planning on just resubmitting my game again here.

It'll be pretty much the same, just with lots of bugfixes.
Hopefully including the boss one.

Russ
12-30-2007, 05:00 PM
I was planning on just resubmitting my game again here.

It'll be pretty much the same, just with lots of bugfixes.
Hopefully including the boss one.
Take this advice then. Make level 1 and level 4 bigger. There are still almost three weeks left. You could easily make the first and last level bigger.

LostInHyru1e
12-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I am also just re-submitting. It's already in the database here and there, "The Meaning of Christmas."

Joe123
12-31-2007, 06:13 AM
Take this advice then. Make level 1 and level 4 bigger. There are still almost three weeks left. You could easily make the first and last level bigger.

I'll think about it.
Level 1 I probably could make bigger, but Level 4.
I wanted to have a large multifloor dungeon with lots of puzzles and the like for level 4.

I really can't do that very easily without spending a long time on it; a long time that I don't really have.
I have exams in a few weeks. bleh.

Russ
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I just thought I'd say, four days left. Submissions are due Tuesday, January fifteenth, before midnight Pacific Time.

I think I am scrapping the judges worth 50% idea, since there are only two judges right now.

And before I set up a bunch of polls in the ZC discussion thread, I just want to make sure some administrater aproves of it.

Gleeok
01-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Well, i'm out. Unless I can throw together something in a day or two. I've opened zq just enough to mess with some Ikaruga type scripts. Other than that I'm still trying to figure out why stuff isn't working...:-(

Russ
01-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, i'm out. Unless I can throw together something in a day or two. I've opened zq just enough to mess with some Ikaruga type scripts. Other than that I'm still trying to figure out why stuff isn't working...:-(
Sorry it didn't work. I had to drop out of the Pure ZC two week quest contest for the same reason. Maybe next time.

DarkDragon
01-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I just thought I'd say, four days left. Submissions are due Tuesday, January fifteenth, before midnight Pacific Time.

I think I am scrapping the judges worth 50% idea, since there are only two judges right now.

And before I set up a bunch of polls in the ZC discussion thread, I just want to make sure some administrater aproves of it.

Send me a PM and we can work something out about the voting.

How many submissions are currently in? Maybe you should extend the deadline by a week or so if it looks like some authors will need it?

Russ
01-13-2008, 04:04 PM
How many submissions are currently in? Maybe you should extend the deadline by a week or so if it looks like some authors will need it?
Does anybody need more time? As far as I know, LostInHyru1e, Joe123, Gleeok, and DarkDeath are competing, and LostInHyru1e and Joe123 are just resubmitting their quests from the Pure ZC contest. I'm not sure about DarkDeath, and I know Gleeok needs more time.

So would any of the contestents like me to extend the deadline?

Russ
01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, it appears the day for submission has come, and nobody has requested an extinsion of the due date. So, all submissions are due today, before midnight Pacific Time. So PM me your submissions, and may the best man win.

And sorry for the double post by the way.

Joe123
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=100735

That should be fine for mine.

I never got round to doing up the dungeons in the end, too much scripting and starting new projects =P

Russ
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Okay. I assume you fixed the boss bug. Please tell me you fixed it.

Joe123
01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
It's a system bug :(

I've reported it, but it's not been fixed.

Russ
01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
It's a system bug :(

I've reported it, but it's not been fixed.
Oh. So they may or may not work. Okay.

Joe123
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah, sucks really :(

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon, and then people can just use the beta with the bugfix.

LostInHyru1e
01-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Russ, do I have to PM you mine? It's on the top of the home page.(on the right)

Russ
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Russ, do I have to PM you mine? It's on the top of the home page.(on the right)
You're just resubmitting the Pure ZC two week contest one, right. If that's the case, you don't have to PM it to me.