PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 Must Sell 1 Million Copies on Day One

Warlock
11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164636

Calling Metal Gear Solid 4 an anticipated title is like calling Solid Snake "gruff" -- an understatement. Many Sony faithful are hinging their hopes for a console breakout through the stealth action title, and the game's producer is no different.

Reuters reports that Ryan Payton, assistant producer for MGS4, said the game needs to sell over one million copies on the first day to help recoup the cost of production. This could be problematic for any game, but particularly given the PS3's limited install base. Currently, the console has sold about 6 million units worldwide. Though the PS3 is sure to increase its install base over the holiday season and before MGS4 launches, a 1/10 attach rate for a game is generally seen as a godsend -- and day one?

Don't lick your chops just yet, though, 360 owners. Payton insists that the game is staying exclusive. "We're telling our fans that if you want to play 'Metal Gear Solid 4', you have to buy a PS3," he said. "The PlayStation brand has always been good to us, and we're pretty bullish on the PS3." Still, with the sentiment that the game must sell a million on its first day, it does raise the question of what will happen if it doesn't.

So uhh... yeah.. 360 port pretty much confirmed there I'd say :P

phattonez
11-29-2007, 06:28 PM
So what happens if it doesn't? Then the game is an automatic failure? Uhhh, doesn't make much business sense right there. There must be more to this.

Breaker
11-30-2007, 01:55 AM
PS3 still isn't worth it. I'd rather just buy the HD DVD add-on for the 360.

MasterSwordUltima
12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I think about two or three months after MGS4 comes out, there'll be talk of a 360/PC ports for it. Or the super version, with a sub-title starting with S, and 500 VR Missions.

DarkDragoonX
12-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Or the super version, with a sub-title starting with S, and 500 VR Missions.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Suckers!

Cloral
12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't give two shits about the MGS franchise as a whole?

Sony can keep this one for all I care. Even if it gets ported to the 360 I'm not going to buy it.

Imprisoned
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't give two shits about the MGS franchise as a whole?

Sony can keep this one for all I care. Even if it gets ported to the 360 I'm not going to buy it.
I completely agree... I've played many MGS games but I've never been interested in them... but, if it's a success, people will have ½ reasons to buy a PS3

mikeron
12-05-2007, 03:27 PM
This reminds me of the dick waving/lies that went on before the GCN release of RE4. Then BLAMMO, PS2 exclusives out the wazoo.

"We swear on our children's souls, this is it!"

Yoshiman
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Who knows, MGS4 could be a system-seller for some. There were several people who didn't buy an Xbox 360 until Halo 3 was released. But it seems to me that the MGS franchise isn't nearly as popular as the behemoth known as Halo.

Thirded. I've played Metal Gear Solid both on the PSX and I own the GCN version. It just doesn't seem to hold my interest as much as it does to some other people. Probably because I like to actually play my games instead of watching 15 minute cutscenes every couple steps. For me, MGS4 just isn't a console seller. Maybe if Final Fantasy XIII looked good I'd think seriously about buying a PS3.

Seriously, Final Fantasy XII had a smaller cutscene to gameplay ratio than MGS did. Or at least it felt like it. It was that damn communicator ringing every few minutes that pissed me off.

Warlock
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Honestly, I tried to play the first one on my roommate's PSX back in college and could never get into it. It seems like the kind of game I'd usually like but I dunno, just didn't do it for me. Maybe if I gave it more of a chance I'd change my opinion, I don't know.

But yeah, I don't really care. I'd just like to see it come to 360 to spite Sony to be honest :P And maybe shut up some of the Sony fanboys for a bit :)

DarkDragoonX
12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I rather like the MGS gameplay, however, I find the plot and characters insipid. People always go on and on about how goddamn "deep" the plot is and how "badass" Snake is. Well, Snake can go fuck himself and take the other 416 Generic Badass Guy characters with him, and the plot is only deep if you enjoy pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

It's not a bad game by any means. In fact, it's quite good. But for fuck's sake, people pop a goddamn boner over characters and plot points that aren't that fucking great. Oh, and while I'm at it, taking a gritty stealth game in a near-future setting and then adding vampires and ghosts is just fucking retarded.

MasterSwordUltima
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
*MSU wonders what this thread would be like if TSA were still here...*

MottZilla
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Given the cost of making the game, I think they are stupid not to port it to 360. I'd like to play MGS4, but at 400$ I'm not buying a PS3 for MGS4. I agree, I don't think the story has been decent since MGS1. But I'm more concerned with if it's fun to play. MGS3 wasn't. Atleast what I played of it.

vegeta1215
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I thought about checking out MGS: Twin Snakes on the cube, but people kept telling me it's like playing a movie - as in lots and lots of cut scenes. That didn't sound too appealing to me. I may still try it, I don't know. I haven't played hardly any stealth games, but the little bit of stealth in Wind Waker and Beyond Good and Evil is enough for me. Anything more complicated might be too much.

AlexMax
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
I rather like the MGS gameplay, however, I find the plot and characters insipid. People always go on and on about how goddamn "deep" the plot is and how "badass" Snake is. Well, Snake can go fuck himself and take the other 416 Generic Badass Guy characters with him, and the plot is only deep if you enjoy pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

It's not a bad game by any means. In fact, it's quite good. But for fuck's sake, people pop a goddamn boner over characters and plot points that aren't that fucking great. Oh, and while I'm at it, taking a gritty stealth game in a near-future setting and then adding vampires and ghosts is just fucking retarded.

You have no soul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--YiJma6xI)

MottZilla
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I thought about checking out MGS: Twin Snakes on the cube, but people kept telling me it's like playing a movie - as in lots and lots of cut scenes. That didn't sound too appealing to me. I may still try it, I don't know. I haven't played hardly any stealth games, but the little bit of stealth in Wind Waker and Beyond Good and Evil is enough for me. Anything more complicated might be too much.

There are alot of cutscenes to tell the story in MGS, but they don't get in the way of the fun really. I highly recommend playing Twin Snakes on GC. Very good game.

punkonjunk1024
12-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Honestly, I tried to play the first one on my roommate's PSX back in college and could never get into it. It seems like the kind of game I'd usually like but I dunno, just didn't do it for me. Maybe if I gave it more of a chance I'd change my opinion, I don't know.

But yeah, I don't really care. I'd just like to see it come to 360 to spite Sony to be honest :P And maybe shut up some of the Sony fanboys for a bit :)

Sony has fanboys?

Warlock
12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Sony has fanboys?

You would be surprised. They are more rabid than ever now that their console is in 3rd place. Anytime a negative Sony story comes out, look for them in the comments underneath, usually criticising the author of being an "Xbot" or "Wiitard". I've even heard "Circle lover" as gay as that sounds.

Aegix Drakan
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I've even heard "Circle lover" as gay as that sounds.

...Circle lover? Just what is that supposed to represent?

Warlock
12-06-2007, 03:31 PM
...Circle lover? Just what is that supposed to represent?

360 = a circle. Like I said, it's an extremely gay "insult." The guy who said it even thought he was cleaver for coming up with that.

Aegix Drakan
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
360 = a circle.

:ooh: Oooooooohhh...now I get it...

Man that's dumb...