PDA

View Full Version : Quake-64

Patrick Spulock
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't know if any of you ever played quake before. But I played it from beginning to end, it was a very scary game at the time when it was released for the N64. I sometime still have nightmares of being cut in half by a chainsaw wielding orge, or being electrify to death by a shambeler. And even being killed by the zombies or the dark knight with the black armor.

Flash Man
11-29-2007, 01:24 AM
I used to play Quake a lot, although I played it on the PC. I own it, and I also purchased the X-Men Apocalypse Total Conversion for it too. I did a little bit of mapping and editing for it as well. I had some pretty good times on Heat.net.

MottZilla
11-29-2007, 04:12 AM
I didn't play Quake very much. I guess after Doom, it wasn't very impressive. The game didn't have any music on the PC I don't think, or if it did it sucked. Doom may not have looked as great but the music was awesome.

I fixed your post, it was awful to read before.

AlexMax
11-29-2007, 04:18 AM
http://xs121.xs.to/xs121/07484/qwwarmup.PNG (http://xs.to)

http://xs121.xs.to/xs121/07484/multi.PNG (http://xs.to)

Quake is a pretty OK single player game, but the multiplayer is simply sublime. In fact, I was rocking some Duel and 3v3 tonight. I suck at it compared to other people, but it's still hella fun.

If this video doesn't convince you to give Quake a second go-round then just stop playing games now, because you're broken (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5601478447440818364)

Buy Quake on Steam (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=2310)

Play Quake online with this awesome all-in-one client (http://nquake.com/)

Add me to your steam friends list (http://steamcommunity.com/id/alexmax)

(I'm willing to bet that this thread won't get any more replies, since AGN seems to have a phobia of good games that aren't on a Nintendo system)

Patrick Spulock
11-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the music for the N64 version of quake was cool in a
spooky way,my dad described the music as sorta like haunted
house music but only 20 times scarier and more evil sounding

rock_nog
11-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Heh, Quake... Never could get into it, or at least the singleplayer portion. I remember back in high school, though, setting up a server on the school network after school. We'd get 16-player games going on "House of Cthon" with low gravity. Oh, that was beautiful. I just wish that Quake had a decent built-in server browser. Finding servers with people playing was always my biggest pet peeve. For some reason, I could never get any third-party server browsers to work, so I was always stuck copying down IP addresses from websites and hoping that a game was going on at the time.

Patrick Spulock
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
well I only played the N64 version of Quake,and
did you know that all the music for the N64 version
of Quake was made by the rock band know as
Nine Inch Nails.their logo is pasted on the nailgun
ammo box.just look and see[and hear]for youself

vegeta1215
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Quake was the first FPS I played (sorry all you Doom fans out there), and it remains my favorite. Q3A is a blast too. I haven't played it in a while, but I still jump into some deathmatches occasionally.

In terms of the music, I always enjoyed the NIN soundtrack.

Masamune
11-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Have you ever listened to NIN? It's not exactly rock. And it's basically only one guy (Trent Reznor).

AlexMax
11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I just wish that Quake had a decent built-in server browser. Finding servers with people playing was always my biggest pet peeve. For some reason, I could never get any third-party server browsers to work, so I was always stuck copying down IP addresses from websites and hoping that a game was going on at the time.

ezQuake (which is included with the nQuake package) has an excillent built in server browser. You can even use the mouse to browse with it.

Patrick Spulock
11-29-2007, 10:58 PM
I always thought that quake for the N64 did not have
enough levels.that is,until I downloaded the PC version
from www.dosgames.com and then I realize I was right
about my opinion.and I wish ID software would remake
Quake for the PS3 and for the Wii {Even thought I am
still not trusting wireless technology}

mikeron
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I used Soundgarden for all of my soundtrack needs in Quake. Actually, pretty much any rock CD worked just fine. Of course, I never used music in multiplayer, as it was too much of a hindrance - around 90% of good 1v1 was based on sound effects, since there were only so many of any given item. Comparing Quake1 to most modern shooters is like comparing Chess to Checkers, only the Checkers players are more likely to BFG your ass, instead of the ballet of rocket-timing and nade-juggling that is Quake.

I should mention that I'm heavily biased in this area.

Also, when ThreeWave first released CTF, I blacked out for 30-40 days.

rock_nog
11-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Well, you've got me sold. Man, I could go for some of that good old-fashioned DM (preferably, though, without any of that rune crap or anything like that). *off to go download nQuake* Now if I can just pull myself away from TF2...

Nicholas Steel
11-30-2007, 01:17 AM
why does nquake download the shareware version of quake after asking where the full version is? yes it detected the correct path to my installation.

AlexMax
11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Something that might be of interest to you guys is that a quakeworld tournament with a quite sizable cash payout over in sweeden has just started at a sweedish LAN party called Dreamhack. Some of the best Quakeworld players the world over have come to play in the tournament, so the action ought to be pretty hot. If you have nquake installed, you can spectate the matches live using QTV (http://87.76.246.151:25000/nowplaying/). Simply click "Watch Now!" and nQuake will automatically open and you can spectate the match live. Or, if there aren't any games going on at the moment (or if you're too late for this post), you can also spectate matches going on elsewhere in europe (http://qw.suomicom.fi:28000/nowplaying/). More info here (http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1475540).

why does nquake download the shareware version of quake after asking where the full version is? yes it detected the correct path to my installation.

Quake needs two files to run. pak0.pak and pak1.pak. It downloads the shareware version, gets pak0.pak, and throws away the rest. Then, it grabs pak1.pak from your registered/retail installation of Quake, and ignores everything else.

It is true that pak0.pak comes with registered/retail quake as well. However, this installer is a holdover from the days when nquake actually had a link that did a google search for pak1.pak on open apache directories, under the pretenses that the link was only to be used by people who lost ther installation CD's or already had legal claim to the game. It's a lot easier to find one particular data file that has a particular name and file size than it is to find a legit 'warez' copy of the game. However, with the release on Steam, the link was removed. The functionality remains, however, for people who prefer to save their pak1.pak somewhere instead of backing up the whole CD.

I always thought that quake for the N64 did not have
enough levels.that is,until I downloaded the PC version
from -- LINK REMOVED -- and then I realize I was right
about my opinion.and I wish ID software would remake

As I have demonstrated earlier in this thread by showing you that you can purchase Quake off of Steam for 10 dollars, Quake is not "abandonware".

Patrick Spulock
11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
well anyways I alway thought that Quake
was cool for a FPS game.My opinion is simply
that we should make a petition for getting Quake
remake for the PS3 and the Wii{Beside didn't ID
software remade the original Doom as Doom 3}

Patrick Spulock
11-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I think I accidently killed this topic
with my last reply.

Modus Ponens
12-01-2007, 08:17 AM
A six-hour period of no new posts does not a dead thread make, new friend.

MasterSwordUltima
12-01-2007, 03:00 PM
The only FPS I've really played was Jedi Knight 2 on the PC. HOWEVER, my pal Heito tells me that once I get Half-Life 2 on my new laptop, we'll be playing Deathmatches for ever. So is Quake anything like Half-life? [yeah, I should know this, I know...]

Patrick Spulock
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't know,I think you may have to find out for youself
because I only played the N64 Version of Quake,so You
might consider asking Alexman about the Multiplayer
system on The PC Version of Quake

vegeta1215
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
I wish ID software would remake

I read somewhere that they might be making Quake for the Nintendo DS, either officially or as a fan project. Not sure if it's true or just a rumor though.

Patrick Spulock
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Then in that case if they are remaking
Quake for the Nintendo DS I would
take that as good news and a good
reason to celebrate.

Masamune
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
I read somewhere that they might be making Quake for the Nintendo DS, either officially or as a fan project. Not sure if it's true or just a rumor though.

http://quake.drunkencoders.com/

It plays alright, the controls are sort of awkward, and it gets a bit of video lag. But the cool thing is, if you have a wireless router in your home, you can play local multiplayer on a dedicated server hosted by a computer with a PSP or another computer. Pretty nifty stuff in the works.

Patrick Spulock
12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Now that I think about it,
I don't Think that a PSP version of Quake
does the game any justice at all and now
more than ever I still wish they make a
remake of Quake for the Wii Or The PS3

Nicholas Steel
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
how on earth do i play quake online? what ports need forwarding? i can watch others play (which is cool) but can't seem to find any servers/games for me to play on >.>

i have a router in case you didnt know and thats why i ask what ports need to be forwarded.

AlexMax
12-04-2007, 02:13 AM
how on earth do i play quake online? what ports need forwarding? i can watch others play (which is cool) but can't seem to find any servers/games for me to play on >.>

i have a router in case you didnt know and thats why i ask what ports need to be forwarded.

the reason you're not seeing any servers is because you dont have any server lists enabled.

look carefully at the server screen in ezquake, you'll see that it's actually mutlitabbed, go over to the "sources" tab and click (or press enter) on "Worldwide Servers". Then go back to the server list and press space, and you should have a list of servers. I suggest "NOBODY'S ALTERNATIVE FFA", it's a pretty popular FFA server.

If that still doesn't work for you for some reason, you can get a list of populated quake servers here:

http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/pl=1/

Be warned that your configuration does NOT automatically save. You must go to the options menu, then the far right tab and 'save config', otherwise it reverts back to your old config. This is so you can play around with options while having the luxury of being able to rever to known good settings.

A CRASH COURSE ON USING THE SERVER TO ITS FULLEST

when you're not playing FFA, the types of servers you want to join are "KTPro" or "KTX" servers. these are servers that allow you to basically do whatever you want on them, or cordinate with other people to pick maps, pick settings, and so on.

to change a map, simply drop to the console and type in its name.

dm2, dm4, dm6, aerowalk and ztndm3 are "the big five" of duel,

dm2, dm3 and e1m2 are the big three of 4v4.

good dmm4 (deathmatch mode 4, you get all weapons and a full tank of health and ammo, backpacks give you a small amount of health back, these are usually played for 3 minutes at a time instead of the usual 10) maps are povdmm4 and amphi, and endif is the best 'midair' map (a map where you only get a rocket launcher and can only hit your opponent in midair).

to set up the settings to be appropriate for a duel, drop to the console and type in 1on1, for 4v4 type 4on4, and to pick random teams for team games type rpickup.

to get a full list of commands, drop to the console and type commands.

if you want to hang out with other quake newbies and get help for learning to improve your game, I highly suggest grabbing an IRC client and hanging out on #qwrookie on irc.quakenet.org (irc://irc.quakenet.org/qwrookie)

Nicholas Steel
12-04-2007, 04:12 AM
the reason you're not seeing any servers is because you dont have any server lists enabled.

look carefully at the server screen in ezquake, you'll see that it's actually mutlitabbed, go over to the "sources" tab and click (or press enter) on "Worldwide Servers". Then go back to the server list and press space, and you should have a list of servers.

yep, it pings the servers for less then a second then says nothing (doesnt matter if any server is orange or white in the next tab)

AlexMax
12-05-2007, 04:10 AM
yep, it pings the servers for less then a second then says nothing (doesnt matter if any server is orange or white in the next tab)

can you join any servers using the IP's you get from quakeservers.net?