PDA

View Full Version : Help with dark rooms

RetraRoyale
11-26-2007, 01:33 AM
I am just wondering... All of my dark rooms end up being solid black. I need to find out how the Csets change when the dark room flag is on. I've been looking over different quests and palettes and kind figure out anything obvious. Is it related to the "Fade Cset 5" option? If not, what is it for, anyway.

Thanks.

Pineconn
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, if I'm not mistaken, your room will be solid black if you are using CSet 3 for the tiles in the room. I believe that if you make the tiles in the screen CSet 2, the room will be only darker rather than purely black.

You change the CSet with the [+]/[-] keys.

If this doesn't do anything, go ahead and respond.

LostInHyru1e
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Build your Dark Room in CSet2. Then, change to CSet3 and do a "CSet Fix" - DUNGEON FLOOR ONLY. If you do it for the whole room, it will be all black. But if you do it for just the floor, then the walls will be slightly visible.

---

Now I have a question of my own about Dark Rooms. When I use the Candle in a Dark Room, it becomes not dark anymore. However, the floor CSet remains at 3, and it looks ugly. Is there any way around this, or do I have to live with it?

Joe123
12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
restructure your palettes?

Russ
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Here is my response: Don't make dark rooms. I never copuld figure out how to make them. They always end up looking dim, but not black. Which is actually pretty neat.

Anyways, if I remember correctly from Alphadawg's tutorial, dark rooms must be made with cset 5. Then they change to cset 2 when you use the candle. I think.

Freedom
12-07-2007, 04:29 PM
The way the room looks when it is dark uses the bottom 3 csets in the palette.
You can turn interpolinated fading off and go to your palette and press "dark" and it will darken all the csets except the bottom 2.
You can then take the middle 3 csets, and put them in a "test or temp" palette and hit dark again and grab the 3 bottom (visible) csets and move them back into your original palette giving you a very dark but visible room.
You can make the room as dark as you want it, based on the number of times you run the csets through your "temp" palette, darkening them.

bluedeath
12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
make a screen full of black tiles and layer is transparent, works for me.

ChainLink
12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
New word for the day courtesy of Freedom :D

"Interpolinated", adj.
Definition: to get your pixels mixed up

I love finding little golden nuggets like that. Thanks Freedom.

Pineconn
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM
(I think he meant "interpolated." ;))

Freedom
12-10-2007, 01:05 AM
(I think he meant "interpolated." ;))

Yea! What he said ^ ;)
Silly boy, only kicks are for trids.