PDA

View Full Version : ZC Source Code

Chitation
11-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi. I'm new to ZC and am pretty experienced with programming and I was just wondering if there is any way to view all the source code for the game so I can edit it. Thanks!!

DarkDragon
11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Nope. ZC is closed source.

Russ
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Although there is scripting. Scripting uses the programming language C, and lets you write your own programming codes for your quest. You should check it out.

Revfan9
11-25-2007, 10:25 PM
There was an open source variant of ZC a while back, but it died off. You might be able to find it if you spend enough hours making sweet love to google.

And Quest scripts aren't coded in C. They're coded in a very much raped version of C that only allows you to use certain functions and only allows modification of already built-in mechanics...

In essence, there's a lot you can't do in quest scripts and most of what you can do isn't worth the effort.

DarkDragon
11-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I was able to write a 3D ray casting engine entirely within ZC, so I wouldn't say scripting is entirely useless ;)

C-Dawg
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
You can do pretty much whatever you want with scripts. For everything you can't do directly, you can do a work-around and pull off the effect anyway.

The nay-sayers just don't bother to learn the engine and Zscript in enough depth.

Chitation
11-25-2007, 10:58 PM
How do I use scripts? Is there a certain program I need in order to make them like Visual Studio because I have that but I'm not sure what I have to do to make scripts and put them into ZC.

Russ
11-25-2007, 11:19 PM
First, you type the script on notepad. Then you save it a a .z file type. Then, you get one of the 2.11 alpha builds. Then you import the script.

Nicholas Steel
11-26-2007, 01:02 AM
First, you type the script on notepad. Then you save it as a .z file type. Then, you get one of the 2.11 alpha builds. Then you import the script.

:D this should reduce confusion.

Chitation
11-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Are there any tutorials on writing a zscript that give what to name all the variables and functions and enemies and other things in the game?

Joe123
11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki/ZScript_Language_Reference
See also: ZScript.txt, std.zh. They come with the newest betas.

www.shardstorm.com
Newest betas.

There are a few tutorials around, but they're rather sparse and if you know C already they probably won't be all that useful.

Have you seen Zodiac Revfan? I suggest you go play it if you haven't.

Revfan9
11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I did play Zodiac, it held my attention for a total of 3 minutes before I got bored.

Call me crazy, but I didn't see much fun into it. And I'm not one of those people who will like something just because I know it was hard to pull off, that doesn't cut it. Sorry. In the end of it all, I'm not entertained, so all of his hard work was wasted in my case.

And to go back on topic, there are no decent Zscript tutorials around. Your best bet is to charge through it with trial-and-error and ask questions on the very inactive Zscript board, and pray that someone cares enough to reply.

Gleeok
11-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah, the easiest way to learn it is to ask many stupid questions, then slowly figure it out as you go. It worked for me! ...in fact, I still ask stupid questions.;)

C-Dawg
11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I did play Zodiac, it held my attention for a total of 3 minutes before I got bored.

Call me crazy, but I didn't see much fun into it. And I'm not one of those people who will like something just because I know it was hard to pull off, that doesn't cut it. Sorry. In the end of it all, I'm not entertained, so all of his hard work was wasted in my case.

Work in progress, my cranky friend. There's not even a storyline involved yet. I'll make a believer out of you eventually.

jman2050
11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Work in progress, my cranky friend. There's not even a storyline involved yet. I'll make a believer out of you eventually.

Don't bother, it's Revfan. If he hates your work, that's a surefire sign that you're doing something right.