PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with component cables. (Wii)

ctrl-alt-delete
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Quick, and to the point.

Got a new TV on Black Friday. (42" LCD, 1080p)

Got Nintendo brand component cables.

On the channel menu, there are random vertical and horizontal lines(not very big...maybe an inch at most.) that appear as rainbows...they randomly appear and then disappear.

Once I enter a game, they seemingly go away for good...might still be there in some instances, but I have not really noticed them.

So, I traded out my cables thinking they were defective. Same problem arose. Traded them out for some third party cables. Same problem arose.

My questions...Why do I not have this problem with composite? (Making me believe the video out port on the wii is just fine.)
Why do they seemingly go away in game? (Making me believe it is just a problem with the channel menu.)

I am hoping it is not a problem with the component ports on my TV, but what are the chances that both sets would be bad, and why would it go away in game?

Anybody else having any problems like that?

In other news, if you actually read through all of that, and kept up with what I was saying, I commend you.

MasterSwordUltima
11-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Hmm, I've never experienced anything weird like that, even on my awesome projector TV. Are you sure the screen isn't all messed up with fingerprints? Also, is it one of those annoying ones where you have to be at the right angle to see the screen?

MottZilla
11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
It's probably your TV. Also does your TV do 480P? If so maybe it's related to that.

Mak-X
11-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Make sure the component cables are connected directly to the TV and not through a switch box.

Try turning off any "enhancement" features on your TV, and activate a "Game Mode" if there is one.

Try setting your Wii between 480i and 480p in the system menu and see if there's a change.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
It's probably your TV. Also does your TV do 480P? If so maybe it's related to that.

Absolutely. 1080p.

Hmm, I've never experienced anything weird like that, even on my awesome projector TV. Are you sure the screen isn't all messed up with fingerprints? Also, is it one of those annoying ones where you have to be at the right angle to see the screen?

No. 178 degree viewing angle.

Make sure the component cables are connected directly to the TV and not through a switch box.

Try turning off any "enhancement" features on your TV, and activate a "Game Mode" if there is one.

Try setting your Wii between 480i and 480p in the system menu and see if there's a change.

Check.
Check, no change.
Check, no change.

Couple things:

The little lines are not rainbows. They are actually little lines that are black and white pixels(all vertical and horizontal.) I have also now begun to notice them in game, mainly when light colors are displayed...

Update Edit: I tried another device on component cables, and it seemed to run fine. I googled problems with the Wii in 480p and it seems many other Wii owners are having similar issues. Unfortunately, since Nintendo's forums are down, I cannot get the full extent of the information.

It looks like Nintendo does have a replacement plan for this problem, so I will sit on it until I make a decision.

Thanks for all of the help, guys.

Vagla
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Although the 'horizontal line' description makes me slightly unsure about this, I'm still pretty positive that your problem is unrelated to the component cables; rather, your Wii's GPU has likely overheated and sustained damage. This typically manifests itself as columns of flickering pixels. They can appear both in-game and on the channel menu. The game I've seen it most prevalent in is Resident Evil 4 (probably because of all the fog effects), but it'll appear in others, as well.

Call up Nintendo and get your system replaced. If you live anywhere near NOA, I recommend driving it over to their customer service department, as they'll replace it on the spot (could take as long as an hour).

ctrl-alt-delete
11-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Interesting. I just purchased Resident Evil 4 today, but I have not had a chance to boot it up yet. I will do so, and see what happens.

Also, just wanted to point out that I believe most of the lines are vertical, if not all of them. So your theory seems absolutely on the spot.

What happens to my virtual console games if I get the system replaced? I know that there was some kind of plan, but I have never heard anything extensively.

Edit: I looked up some more information, and found some videos on youtube. It is exactly what I am experiencing. Have you guys all been leaving Wiiconnect24 on all the time? When I get a replacement, I will be scared to do so unless I hear that a few other people leave it on and have experienced no problems.

Warlock
11-25-2007, 04:33 AM
Yes, this sounds like a classic case of the GPU overheating. It seems to be a semi-common issue with the Wii from what I've heard (mostly due to the fact it's always running in "Wii24Connect" mode). I personally have not had problems, but I imagine it has a lot to do with how you store your Wii (cool, well-ventilated area, etc etc)

Anyways, yes, get Nintendo to replace your system. They will do it for free since it's still under warrenty. And if you want to prevent this in the future, you may also want to disable Standby mode (there is an option in there somewhere). Though you lose some of the 24Connect features this way :(

ctrl-alt-delete
11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Called them. Getting it replaced. "Should take 8-10 days."

Looks like Galaxy is going to have to wait a little longer.

Do they always "try to repair it and decide if it needs to replace?" I have no problem with the repair, but I would prefer a brand new console, if possible, damn it.

Want to know the cool thing? I never extended my warranty. But they are going to fix it anyways.

So basically, if I ever have any more problems, I can just extend my warranty then and call them to get it fixed.

Unless of course getting it fixed or replaced automatically renews the warranty or something.

MottZilla
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
You don't repair damaged ICs. Really they are just going to make sure it's fucked up before they give you a refurbished or new unit. It would take awfully long if they really took your unit and fixed it. I imagine you'll get a refurb. Make sure you ask them about getting your VC games back if they give you aother unit.