PDA

View Full Version : Billions of jellyfish wipe out N. Irish salmon farm

Prrkitty
11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11/21/salmon.jellyfish.ap/index.html

Quote: The only salmon farm in Northern Ireland has lost its entire population of more than 100,000 fish, worth $2 million, to a spectacular jellyfish attack, its owners said Wednesday.

The Northern Salmon Co. Ltd. said billions of jellyfish -- in a dense pack of about 10 square miles and 35 feet deep -- overwhelmed the fish last week in two net pens about a mile off the coast of the Glens of Antrim, north of Belfast.

------------------------------------------------
Holy crap that's an *ungodly* lota jellyfish. Think about the numbers... 10 square miles and 35 feet deep - of jellyfish!!!! I knew they swam in packs... but not THAT huge'a pack.

And from the sounds of the article the owner did not have insurance. Now THAT fact is just stupidity (assuming the fact is true).

I'm just in awe of the visual in my head of the numbers of jellyfish... it's almost unfathomable.

mikeron
11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Burning Question: Were those jellyfish Catholics or Protestants?

DarkDragoonX
11-21-2007, 10:19 PM
This might help you fathom it. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SxD5eRVtuHE)

algam86
11-21-2007, 10:31 PM
10 square miles and 35 feet deep? That is a HUGE amount of jellyfish. All I'm getting is a large Jell-O-like surface in my head...I wonder why they swarmed like that.

I also wonder if they'll think about making more than one salmon farm next time. Always good to have a backup, you know.

The_Amaster
11-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Wow. That's a lot of jellyfish. I dont like jelly fish. I probably would have died of fright if I was there.

Wow...

Anyway, the biologist in me is burining to know why they swarmed like this.

phattonez
11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Jellyfish bug me. I went swimming in the ocean in Cuba they kept stinging me, and I couldn't even see them. Over there, they call them "Agua Mala," or translated "Bad Water."

Well remember what the girl who owned the pet store in Family Guy said? "Animals don't war" or something like that. Yeah, apparently she was wrong.

Lilith
11-22-2007, 03:39 AM
---

MottZilla
11-22-2007, 04:01 AM
They could have blown them up, zapped them, shredded them, lots of things. They just weren't prepared with Jellyfish slaughtering weapons like they should have been. ;o That sucks though, I like salmon, and jellyfish can go fuck themselves.

Aegix Drakan
11-22-2007, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Amaster42;1151640]Wow. That's a lot of jellyfish. I dont like jelly fish. I probably would have died of fright if I was there.
[QUOTE]

:P Same here. When I was a kid, I was scared out of my wits by them. Now, not so much, but If there's even a slight warning for them in the area, I don't go into the ocean. >_> 'Sides I go to florida for the sun, not the ocean. Too cold.

:P But man...a mass of jellies that big? That's just scary. If I'd see a mass like that, and then run for the hills, away from any and all water.

copsgotguns
11-24-2007, 10:45 PM
do we eat the jellyfish's natural predator?

Breaker
11-24-2007, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=Amaster42;1151640]Wow. That's a lot of jellyfish. I dont like jelly fish. I probably would have died of fright if I was there.
[QUOTE]

:P Same here. When I was a kid, I was scared out of my wits by them. Now, not so much, but If there's even a slight warning for them in the area, I don't go into the ocean. >_> 'Sides I go to florida for the sun, not the ocean. Too cold.

:P But man...a mass of jellies that big? That's just scary. If I'd see a mass like that, and then run for the hills, away from any and all water.

Florida.. cold? What part of the year do you come here? =/

Russ
11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Billions of jellyfish? I would die of fright if I were there. I hate jellyfish. Little stinging devils.

Aegix Drakan
11-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Florida.. cold? What part of the year do you come here? =/

1: I'm talking about the sea water.
2: It's in december/january
3: ...I'm the kind of guy who'd rather sit in the jacussi than swim in the pool.

there.

oh, and...

0_o You live in Florida? cool.

punkonjunk1024
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
thats so ridiculously cool. Jellyfish are sweet. Salmon suck. Jellyfish win.

*b*
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
This might help you fathom it. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SxD5eRVtuHE)

Holy crap, those look like baby Metroids. Those farmers should have called in Samus

</nerd>

Yeah, that's amazing. I'd have liked to have seen it (Preferably from the safety of the shore), despite how much jellyfish creep me out