PDA

View Full Version : Webhosting

MANDRAG GANON
11-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to host a website, I want to put my portfolio up on the web but I'm not sure where a good place is to host. I've looked into things and have found places offering low amounts of space and bandwidth for $10-15 a month and I've found places offering large amounts of gigs with tons of options for $2-3 a month and I'm not sure how trust worthy they are.

So I'm just curious what places people have used if any, any recommendations?

DarkDragon
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I use Dreamhost, which offers ludicrous amounts of space and bandwidth for a reasonable price. Of course, you get what you pay for; their servers tend to be slow at times, and do go down occasionally, which is fine for my purposes, but you may want to look elsewhere if you want to host a business site or something else requiring very high reliability.

MrCow
11-16-2007, 03:25 PM
1and1.com isnt bad, my cousin uses it for his stuff, I never see it going down really.

gdorf
11-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I think anywhere in the $7-15 a month range will be pretty reasonable if you don't expect a gripload of traffic. If they charge less than that you are asking for trouble.

I use bluehost because they let you attach multiple domain names to your account. I also like them because they personally respond to emails and are willing to negotiate reasonable prices for extras (dedicated IP, more domains, extra bandwidth, etc). Also they provide full shell access to your account.

Unfortunately, like any shared hosting plans there are occasional downtimes and they'll temporarily shut down your site (five minutes or so) if you take up too much cpu.

All the sites in my signature are hosted with my bluehost account.

biggiy05
11-16-2007, 07:05 PM
1and1.com isnt bad, my cousin uses it for his stuff, I never see it going down really.

Seconded.