PDA

View Full Version : Tonight....I saved a life

biggiy05
11-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I had one of my hospital clinicals today from 4pm-10pm. I was walking with my preceptor to the cath lab to see if anyone was coming in when they paged the doctor and pharmacy to the trauma room.

It was a 42 year old man that was unresponsive when his friend found him. When the paramedics brought him in he was cardiac arrest with no pulse. The tech that was in the room was gonna trade off on compressions with me during CPR. He rolled into the room and she did three compressions and had me get up and do them. I was almost done with my first set when the doctor everyone to hold CPR. His pulse was coming back...weak but there.

I honest to God didn't think I did that much by just doing compressions but the doctor, nurses and my preceptor all told me that because of the tech doing the three compressions and then me doing a set I brought his pulse back and saved his life. They stabilized him and moved him to the ER then to the MICU later that night. I can't say why he was brought in or what's happening but he's in bad shape and probably won't make it.

Tonight was not expected....

Prrkitty
11-11-2007, 03:14 AM
In life, every step forward is a learning experience. :) Thank God you were there to help. Could be it's just not the guys time... only time will tell.

You done good hon :)
<hug>

phattonez
11-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Wow, how does it feel knowing that you can do that and that you did do it?

biggiy05
11-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Wow, how does it feel knowing that you can do that and that you did do it?

I was nervous when we were waiting on the medics then I heard them backing up and got really nervous. When I went to do the compressions it was gone and it felt like an instinct that I knew what to do all along.

Still feels weird though, it's a good feeling.

erm2003
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Congrats on your first save biggiy! I have friends who have been working in the field for years and they talk about how amazing it is when you can save someone. I hope you will have the opportunity to save many more.

biggiy05
11-12-2007, 12:30 AM
My friend had her clinical tonight and my patient is still alive. No change in condition and he's still on the vent.

Aegix Drakan
11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
*raises hands above head and claps loudly*

Congats to you sir, on saving your first life! May you save many more!

(respect for Biggiy + a good amount)

:P Congrats to you sir!

The_Amaster
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Good going man. You just made a difference in the world.

*salutes*