PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy = God

Matteo
11-08-2007, 01:35 AM
I have been awaiting this game for quite awhile. Actually, I think we all have been waiting for this game for about 10 years (sorry Sunshine.)

So, I can't believe its finally coming next week. The funny thing it that there doesn't seem like there is as much hype for the game as one would think. Time will tell.

Anyway, to get to my point, I got to play it at a local GS here in the Philadelphia area on Saturday, and wow, I was blown away. I don't want to give any spoilers away (I actually played for about 20 minutes before I forced myself to stop playing and not spoil anymore of the game), but it EXCEEDS expectations. It has that certain flair that Mario games have. Something that NSMB and SMS lacked. Its hard to put a finger on why its so fresh and exciting, but I can go on and say that the level design simply blows away all other current games. Furthermore, I did not truly understand the gravity aspect of this game until playing it. It makes this game so different from all the other 3D platformers out there.

EDIT: I played a saved version of the game, so I got a good look at some of the different galaxies, not just the beginning of the game.

A few other tidbits, (most of them I'm sure you all know)
The EB/GS demo kiosk SMG games are actually the full games.
There was a leak onto the internet of copies of said games last week.
Best Buy in some areas actually started selling them earlier this week by accident, so quite a few people actually have the game.
There are some serious spoilers out there, BIG SPOILERS, so beware.

There are already 7+ reviews at Game Rankings... with an average of 96.5!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Super Mario has returned.

phattonez
11-08-2007, 01:50 AM
I never beat Super Mario Sunshine and I didn't care.

Matteo
11-08-2007, 01:59 AM
I never beat Super Mario Sunshine and I didn't care.

Ditto...

Yeah, there was something about that game, even though it was well polished and controlled great, that didn't appeal to me.

ShadowTiger
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Same with Luigi's Mansion. It seems ... droll? I haven't even touched Mario Sunshine. Don't think I will either, after I "forced" myself to get Luigi's Mansion just so I wouldn't be living under a makeshift rock for the rest of my life. >_O'

I suppose I may as well get it. I'd always rather wait until the price drops, but then again, It WILL drop eventually, as all games do, and by then, Brawl will have stopped getting as interesting in eight or so years.

phattonez
11-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey, I liked Luigi's Mansion, and I played it through a few times. It was the first game I had for Gamecube, but still, I thought it was pretty good, abeit a little repetitive at times.

Warlock
11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I liked Luigi's Mansion but it was 4 hours of gameplay with very little replay value.

Cloral
11-08-2007, 01:30 PM
One thing about SMS was it felt pointless at times. You run around this island doing random tasks with no real goal in sight. The game never tells you what you have to do to unlock the final area, so when it does unlock it feels like what you were doing to that point really had nothing to do with it. At least with Mario64 you knew you needed to collect stars to open the doors that would get you closer to your confrontation with Bowser. It was simple, but it was effective because you always had a clear goal in mind.

punkonjunk1024
11-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I liked luigi's mansion a lot, I wish they'd sequel it with more content, and some actual challenge. That's LM's problem, was the ease of play after you mastered doing crazy stuff with one stick and something different with the other.

Sunshine was fun, too. So maybe SMS will be awesome. NSMB blew rediculous ass chunks. That seriously was less of a mario game than SMB2. at least SMB2 was fucking awesome.

Warlock
11-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm glad I was not the only one disappointed with NSMB. Everyone seems to love it like crazy.

Personally I think it was the level design. It sucked. The game started to get decent in the last world (it almost had a SMB3 vibe to some of the levels, especially with enemies like Sumo Bros. and Fire Bros. returning), but overall it was too little, too late. The rest of the game really felt like a souped-up SMB1 - and frankly, SMB1 has not aged well at all.

If they make a New Super Mario Bros. 2, I'd like to see them work towards something closer to SMB3/SMW feel, or even SMB2 (our version) with a less rediculous plot and more familiar enemies/settings. I'd personally love another game with multiple characters like that (SM64 DS actually did a decent job with that, but it felt too tacked-on.. the game would need to be designed from scratch with that concept in mind).

Yoshiman
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Wii when this game is released. It's looking really good. I'm just kind of concerned that a lot of the gameplay looks like it's taking place on little planetoids, and there's not that many "big" levels like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine had.

I'm also worried about the fact that the game actually has "spoilers." I mean, Mario games have always been known to be "save the princess," and not much else of a plot. I just don't want one of my all-time favorite game series to go down the path of Sonic and add ridiculous plot-lines and characters.

I'm really hoping this game is a lot like SM64. I liked SMS, but it did feel like there was something missing. It wasn't a bad game, but I just had a kind of empty feeling. Keep in mind that I only rented SMS, so I may not have really looked at it.

With NSMB, it kinda did feel half-assed to me. Most of the levels were really plain when compared to SMB3 and SMW. Very few levels were vertical, and there didn't seem to be any real "gimmick" to the worlds. World gimmicks are kind of a good thing in Mario games. I mean, SMB3 had quicksand and the sun in World 2, and all those pipes and piranha plants in World 7. NSMB was just like "there's a few more enemies and holes here than in the previous world."

Russ
11-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm also worried about the fact that the game actually has "spoilers." I mean, Mario games have always been known to be "save the princess," and not much else of a plot. I just don't want one of my all-time favorite game series to go down the path of Sonic and add ridiculous plot-lines and characters.

Lots of spoilers=happy me.:) I like it when they add storyline. I am so d*** tired of save the princess plots. They got old really fast.

Pineconn
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Wii when this game is released. It's looking really good. I'm just kind of concerned that a lot of the gameplay looks like it's taking place on little planetoids, and there's not that many "big" levels like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine had.

There indeed are some bigger worlds as well as the planetoids that you've seen a lot of. I agree, I wouldn't want to play a game going from planetoid to planetoid to planetoid and that's it.

Yeah, there was something about that game [SMS], even though it was well polished and controlled great, that didn't appeal to me.

SMS's graphics were very well-polished, but I found the mechanics were rather glitchy at times. I fell through the ground a few times (especially in the attic or whatever of the hotel), found that obtaining a blue coin every once in a while would crash the game completely, and found that the developers were lazy at times. Like that roller coaster/shooter in Pina (sp?) Park, I hated how you died at the end if you failed to complete the mission.

All in all, though, it was an excellent game.

rock_nog
11-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Uh, I hear that there's really not much of a plot at all. Personally, that makes me happy. I just want to save the princess - I don't want some plot getting in the way. If I wanted a story, I'd play an RPG.

AlexMax
11-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I like how this thread turned into a "Super Mario Sunshine was terrible" thread.

Cloral
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Well people are just talking about what they know. Most haven't gotten to play SMG yet.

AlexMax
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Well people are just talking about what they know. Most haven't gotten to play SMG yet.

Well yeah, I just remember it funny how back in 2003 everyone here was looking forward to SMS and Wind Waker and both turned out to be huge disappointments.

Cloral
11-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't say WW was a huge disappointment. Sure it was a bit light on dungeons and areas to explore, but I still thought it was a lot of fun.

Pineconn
11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
^^WW was excellent. I find WW to be better than OoT. In all, I think OoT was the worst of the 3D Zelda games (but of course was still a classic; I just think the rest of them were better). WW has that charm that you'd expect to go along with the magic of a Zelda game. Though TP lacked this (except for Midna, which made up for some of the magic/mystery), its pure gameplay elements and dungeon designs placed it at #1 for me. MM is at #2.

*reads title of thread* Oops. Super Mario Galaxy looks excellent. Though I don't have a Wii, I'd love to play it. Somehow. I will.

Russ
11-08-2007, 11:14 PM
^^WW was excellent. I find WW to be better than OoT. In all, I think OoT was the worst of the 3D Zelda games (but of course was still a classic; I just think the rest of them were better). WW has that charm that you'd expect to go along with the magic of a Zelda game. Though TP lacked this (except for Midna, which made up for some of the magic/mystery), its pure gameplay elements and dungeon designs placed it at #1 for me. MM is at #2.

MM#1. TP#2.

Getting back to the subject of Super Mario Galaxy, I think this is going to be the best Mario game ever! Although I must admit I am a little iffy on the whole planatoid thing, as everyone else is, I think it will turn out the same way the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass touch screen controls did. Everyone will think it is game ruining, and then they find out the really like it. Some people bought wiis just to play one game. This is that game (well, this and SSBB). This is going to be an awesome game!

Nicholas Steel
11-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Sunshine was fun, too. So maybe SMS will be awesome.

uh, doesn't SMS = Sunshine? o_O you must really like that game :D i found that it felt too fake, nothing felt solid. your character always felt like it was floating around the place... especially with yoshi, yoshi felt absolutely terrible to control.

rock_nog
11-08-2007, 11:43 PM
See, to me, TP was the worst 3D Zelda, due to the feeling of not having much freedom at all (nothing to really explore, no choice in how to reach goals, etc.)

Matteo
11-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Trust me, once you experience the whole "planetoid" thing, you won't be doubting it anymore. It feels so right. There are plenty of huge planets as well.

I think SMG having less story is a good thing. It seems to me that games like Super Mario are meant to be about fun and about innovation/creativity. I feel like developers feel pressure from critics and the gaming media to fabricate and develop storylines. In my opinion, there are certain games, and especially franchises that function better without complex, intricate storylines. The stories can bog these games down, leading to monotony in level design, (See SMS), as well as other examples with cheesy characters and voice work (Modern Sonic Games). For me, Mario games have always been about pick up and play mentality. This game (SMG) seems to fit that bill perfectly.

Now it is beyond me why reviewers have given negative points to this game because it lacks a developed story (or so they say).

Its funny that this thread is already expanding into other Nintendo franchises. (That being said, the only 3D Zelda I truly loved was OOT)

Russ
11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
See, to me, TP was the worst 3D Zelda, due to the feeling of not having much freedom at all (nothing to really explore, no choice in how to reach goals, etc.)
That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula. BTW post 500!

Matteo
11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula.

Agreed. I also feel like it also lacked artistic completion. In other words, like OOT and MM, the world feels bland and empty. (Like most 3D games of any kind) The gameplay is great in TP, but as ironic as this is, I much prefer the artistic style of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. I feel like these games are much more of a spiritual successor in terms of presentation and environment to the older Zelda games than OOT, MM or TP were. In TP I feel like so much of the world is useless and is just there, in older Zelda games, you felt like every screen, every tree, every rock could hide something. I also feel like the world just isn't as vibrant and colorful as a Zelda game should be. If we could just get Wind Waker's artistic intensity with TP's more traditional gameplay and overworld, mixed with ALTTP/LA/LOZ etc's open-ended gameplay, I would be very happy.

EDIT: Heres three different video reviews of SMG if you care to take a look:
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/08/meta-video-review-super-mario-galaxy/ (www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/11/08/meta-video-review-super-mario-galaxy/)

vegeta1215
11-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm glad I was not the only one disappointed with NSMB. Everyone seems to love it like crazy.

You're not alone. I didn't like it either. I borrowed it from a friend and played it for about an hour and was just really bored. For once I'm glad I didn't go out and buy it a game right away.

Ditto on what mattwdr said about WW and TP etc.

I'm excited for Mario Galaxy. I had a feeling it was going to ge good, but the reviews so far have been crazy. I can't wait.

Nicholas Steel
11-09-2007, 06:03 AM
That is because it was really made just to show what the Nintendi Wii was capable of. It just combined good levels, good storyline, and good controls. They just didn't bother putting freedom of how to beat the game into the formula. BTW post 500!
uh it was designed for the gamecube and ported to the wii. how can it show off what the wii is capable of if it wasnt designed for the wii?

Breaker
11-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Mario Galaxy was designed for the gamecube..?

Nicholas Steel
11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
i cant nest the quotes so refer to the actual post i quoted.

Gerudo
11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
-=SPOILER=-

I've played the SMG demo at GameStop, and it seems like it'll be the definitive games of 2007. My cousin pre-ordered it, but I'll probably end up being the one to play it. Sounds like a win-win for me, he buys it, I play it. ;)

Cloral
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I felt like TP's dungeons lacked inspiration in their design. There was just something about them that felt bland and monotonous. I think it may simply be the fact that we've had 3d Zeldas for several games now and their dungeons tend to follow a similar formula: get keys, get the treasure, use the treasure to get the boss key, go to the boss, use the treasure to defeat the boss.

Dechipher
11-09-2007, 03:17 PM
OoT has a very charming feel to it, in my opinion. Nothing makes me feel better than thinking about that first time I stepped out of the Temple of Time seven years later to see Hyrule Market destroyed. It's just a good feeling.

MM was cool because you had a lot of shit you could do, but it could also get kind of tedious, especially the water temple.

WW was a fun game, and the charm factor was really high. It feels like LttP was split into WW and OoT. OoT had the gameplay and story and such, WW had the charm and the open-endedness of it.

Just me.

Warlock
11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I still say they should remake WW on Wii. It was a great game but it had some serious flaws. The problems with the game I feel were:

-Lack of Dungeons (the whole end of the game was one giant fetch quest)
-Too easy (scale it towards TP difficulty at least, or add a "hard" mode where stuff hits for more)
-Sailing sucked. If they could find a way to make this not boring, it wouldn't have bothered me. I thought sailing was ok in Phantom Hourglass because it was very hands-off.

I hear there were a handful of dungeons that got cut from WW due to time issues. They aught to finish them and perhaps add a few more :P Also disappointing that a game composed of 90% ocean was one of the few Zelda games without a fishing minigame -_-

Russ
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I still say they should remake WW on Wii

They should remake MM on the Wii. That one was by far the best. And it has great replay value. I especially like the option of fighting the bosses over again. MM had the time system too. That was awesome. I walked around town so much I could predict exactly what would happen and at what time.

Breaker
11-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I wish they would add Majora's Mask to the Virtual Console... and Super Marior RPG.

Warlock
11-09-2007, 04:31 PM
They should remake MM on the Wii. That one was by far the best. And it has great replay value. I especially like the option of fighting the bosses over again. MM had the time system too. That was awesome. I walked around town so much I could predict exactly what would happen and at what time.

No, they'll never do that. There is a huge difference here - the graphics in Wind Waker (and generally any GameCube title) are not going to get much better on Wii. The hardware difference is not that great (outside of updating a few textures here and there). It's pretty easy to move something like Wind Waker over. On the other hand, Majora's Mask would require a complete overhaul. It's just way more effort than is worth justifying the sales of the game (considering a re-release is not going to do as well as the original release).

Russ
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
One thing I always thought would be nice is this: remake OoT useing Twilight Orincess graphics and overworld, and putting the dungeons in the Twilight Princess overworld in the apropriate places. That way, they could just re-use the overworld and graphics and controls from Twilight Princess.

BTW have you noticed how off subject this thread got?

MottZilla
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
The problem with Twilight Princess is it's completely linear. The original LoZ had an order you should use but it didn't fence you into that. When you fence players into a single path there is no replay value and it gets boring as you feel you're just slowly truckin down the line like everybody else. Linear gameplay and adventure games don't mix well.

In japan Super Mario Galaxy didn't blast off to quite the start people were expecting with the success of the Wii. It's still doing well though I believe. I'll play it someday. I'm in no hurry.

Warlock
11-09-2007, 05:53 PM
The problem with Twilight Princess is it's completely linear. The original LoZ had an order you should use but it didn't fence you into that. When you fence players into a single path there is no replay value and it gets boring as you feel you're just slowly truckin down the line like everybody else. Linear gameplay and adventure games don't mix well.

In japan Super Mario Galaxy didn't blast off to quite the start people were expecting with the success of the Wii. It's still doing well though I believe. I'll play it someday. I'm in no hurry.

???

http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833957p1.html

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but the top game this past week in Japan was Super Mario Galaxy. According to Media Create, the long-awaited Mario 64 sequel sold 251,000 units over the week covering 10/29 to 11/4. The game was released on 11/1.

250k games in 4 days sounds pretty damn good to me.

Cloral
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
I've been hearing that rumor too, but I think it just means that Nintendo made so many copies of the game that places didn't run out of stock.

Matteo
11-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Supposedly NSMB sold 900,000 in its first week and SMS sold 400,000. Now I don't know where they are getting their numbers from (I remember these from thread discussions at gamefaqs), but I'm guessing that Japan's SMG sales are "below" expectations. However, there are a few things to consider. The DS still has at least a 4-1 ratio on the Wii of the number of units sold. SMS was a big let down and perhaps people remember that in their buying decisions. It is the Holiday season and some people are probably waiting to buy it for a Christmas present. Nevertheless, I believe that considering both the namebrand and the scores from across the gaming media, that it will be a huge hit. Its the kind of game that most households with a Wii will buy, whether they buy it now, next year or sometime down the road, I think most will own it. It may not be in that "cool" niche that the younger generation likes, but feel like it appeals to both the casual and hardcore gamer.

AlexMax
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Supposedly NSMB sold 900,000 in its first week and SMS sold 400,000. Now I don't know where they are getting their numbers from (I remember these from thread discussions at gamefaqs), but I'm guessing that Japan's SMG sales are "below" expectations. However, there are a few things to consider....

New Super Mario Bros: 900,000
Super Mario Sunshine: 400,000
Super Mario Galaxy: 251,000

I don't really see how you can spin those numbers. You can make all the excuses you like, but at the end of the day "Super Mario Galaxy sold a little more than half Super Mario Sunshine's first week sales, and a little more than a quarter of New Super Mario Bros' first week sales" would be a completely accurate statement.

MottZilla
11-10-2007, 01:59 PM
If it makes you guys feel any better, it is November when all sorts of great games come out. So Mario has alot of competition. Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4 are what I'll be playing. I would also be playing Gears of War on PC if I had a decent videocard and such. Mario is waaaay down the list these days.

Cloral
11-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah I have to agree. 251,000 units sold in the first week isn't a bad number for most franchises, but when you're Mario you would expect it to be a bit higher.

mottZilla, you have to remember that the games your citing are games that are going to be popular in the US and not so much in Japan. So they shouldn't be affecting the sales numbers there that much.
It will be interesting to see how the US release numbers compare to these.

MottZilla
11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
True, I didn't think about that. In japan I'm not sure what competition Mario Galaxy is up against. It seems like in Japan lately it's ruled by the Nintendo DS.

Warlock
11-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Couple things:
-SMG's numbers only represent 4 days, not a full week. I don't know if this matters, or how many days the other two represent. But worth pointing out.
-Wii's install base is probably a bit smaller given the shortage of systems. That may have an impact. There are also probably a large amount of Wiis out there in the hands of more casual people who might not consider this a title they want. In any case, I'm sure the install base is quite a bit smaller than GC's was, and especially DS which is just crazy.

I'm curious though, what were Zelda's first week numbers? Were they higher? (possibly, since it was a launch title)

Cloral
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Actually, I might have to correct myself a bit. It seems that at the most recent games convention they had in Japan, Assassin's Creed was drawing some pretty long lines. So that might be a game that Japanese players are looking forward to after all. Though it still doesn't come out there for another couple of weeks.

I'll be picking up my copy of Galaxy today at lunch. I made the mistake of pre-ordering a copy a couple weeks ago when I went in to pick up Zack and Wiki, and so yesterday I got this annoying phone call of someone at Gamestop doing a bad Mario impression telling me that the game would be ready to pickup today.

Breaker
11-12-2007, 02:35 PM
It's not being released anywhere near me until tomorrow. :(

Warlock
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
It's not being released anywhere near me until tomorrow. :(

Same, it's the same crap they do all the time. West coast gets it Monday, midwest gets it Tuesday. Same for almost every game :(

DarkDragoonX
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm on the west coast, and I can't find anyplace near me selling it until tomorrow, either. Bugger.

Cloral
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
You may have heard that people who preordered the game at Gamestop got a annoying phone call in Mario's voice saying that the game would be available for pickup today. Well, I got the call, then went over today at lunch to pick up my copy, only to find out they didn't have any in stock. What's more, it wasn't a shipping mixup. They had the games in the back room in boxes, but they guy working there wasn't allowed to open them.
So that's the last God damn time I ever shop at Gamestop. I'm thinking at this point I'm going to just eat my $5 preorder and buy the game at Target. They never have any problems keeping plenty of copies of popular games in stock. It's pretty sad when a specialty retailer could stand to learn about customer satisfaction from a superstore.

War Lord
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not excited about this at all for some reason.

Like Mott, there's just too many other games out or coming out that I feel are worth it. Not to mention I'm still playing Halo 3 ridiculously. I'd rather use my $50 to get the Amazon Bioshock/The Darkness deal going on even.

Then you throw in Call Of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Rock Band, etc.. I really have no money to even worry about Mario right now.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could explain or link a video showing me why this a must have when all these other better games are here or coming in a week or two.

[EDIT]
Just watched the IGN video review. Still don't feel like going to get it. I'm not sure of the space theme has anything to do with it as I'm not a huge space game/tv/movie fan. How does selecting levels work? How many stars per level and such? Does it all work like Mario 64?

I'm sure getting burned on wasting $50 on Sunshine ties into all this as I preordered that and played it, ready for this? Twice.

Warlock
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not excited about this at all for some reason.

Like Mott, there's just too many other games out or coming out that I feel are worth it. Not to mention I'm still playing Halo 3 ridiculously. I'd rather use my $50 to get the Amazon Bioshock/The Darkness deal going on even.

Then you throw in Call Of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Rock Band, etc.. I really have no money to even worry about Mario right now.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could explain or link a video showing me why this a must have when all these other better games are here or coming in a week or two.

[EDIT]
Just watched the IGN video review. Still don't feel like going to get it. I'm not sure of the space theme has anything to do with it as I'm not a huge space game/tv/movie fan. How does selecting levels work? How many stars per level and such? Does it all work like Mario 64?

I'm sure getting burned on wasting $50 on Sunshine ties into all this as I preordered that and played it, ready for this? Twice.

I hear from several reviews that Assassin's Creed is pretty mediocre (sounds typical Ubisoft to me :P)

And yeah, honestly, Sunshine was crap. Don't base your opinion on this off that crap game. Every review has basically said this blows Sunshine & 64 out of the water. It's also not 100% space-themed (IGN's Video review covers that too).

As far as selecting levels, this is what I understand. There is a small hub "space ship". You enter various levels through doorways (or something) on that. You can also apparently unlock levels, and there is supposed to be something like 40 galaxies (that is, full blown stages). I don't know about stars, but I know there is 120 like SM64. Given that there are more levels, I imagine there are fewer per stage (maybe they finally did away with red coin collecting :D haha).

In any case, pickin this up later today. Yay

Cloral
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
I went to Target after work yesterday, and they didn't have it either. Considering that I also read that many people weren't able to find it, I think this was a case of Nintendo screwing up and forgetting that yesterday was a holiday. I just wish that the people at Gamestop had called me before I wasted my lunch break to go over there and pick it up.

Breaker
11-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I just picked my copy up at EBGames. There was a Nintendo rep there with a Wii Zapper. It looked kinda lame...

MottZilla
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I hear from several reviews that Assassin's Creed is pretty mediocre (sounds typical Ubisoft to me :P)

Ubisoft did R6 Vegas, so they aren't incapable of making a good game. Don't think all they make is Red Steel. ;p Alot of complaints about AC sound like those complaining are just fucktards.

Matteo
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Update: 22 Stars in, and it exceeds all expectations. WL, and whomever else has a Wii and hasn't picked this up, do yourself a favor and go get it now!!

The level design is better than ANY game I have ever played.

Yoshiman
11-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I still need to find a Wii first before I can buy the game. Everywhere close I've looked doesn't have the systems in stock. Of course the Wal-Mart that's 3 miles away has the game, but not the system. Tomorrow I'm going to call GameStop up by the mall and check. If they, Circuit City or Best Buy doesn't have it, I'm pretty much Mario-less.

However, I'm glad it's getting decent reviews, and there's people on the board who like it. Hopefully the game really justifies getting the system.

DarkDragoonX
11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm only 5 stars in so far, but if the game can keep this level of quality throughout, the only question will be whether to describe it as awesome or fucking awesome.

rock_nog
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Ugh, Gamestop's copies are all reserved, and Target apparently won't release until tomorrow. ARGH! My only concern now is that by the end of it, I'll still want more. I hate when that happens.

Warlock
11-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Ugh, Gamestop's copies are all reserved, and Target apparently won't release until tomorrow. ARGH! My only concern now is that by the end of it, I'll still want more. I hate when that happens.

LOL, that's what they tell you to "teach you a lesson about reserving." Three days from now they will have buttloads. That's why Gamestop sucks.

Anyways, I only had a little time to play it but so far it's awesome. I like that most levels only have a max of 3 stars. It lets you replay the level without feeling sick of it, and without throwing in filler stars like "collect 5 red coins" or "chase shadow mario" or "collect 100 coins" :P

I also like how the first few worlds kind of remind me of classic opening levels in some of the original Mario platformers like SMB3 and SMW. I don't know why, they just have that similar vibe to me. Moreso than friggin' 64 or Sunshine did. It also isn't a cakewalk like those games - you only get 3 HPs instead of 5 (though you can get a Super Mushroom and get 6), and there seems to overall be waaaay fewer coins to heal you (especially during boss fights, etc). Overall I really like it - it's fairly challenging compared to the other 3d Marios.

Also, collecting Star Bits is fun :D

rock_nog
11-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Ah freak, and now Target apparently isn't getting their shipment in until noonish. It's like some vast conspiracy to force me to preorder games in the future if I want a copy on the day they're actually released. I mean, I can understand Gamestop's role in the plot, but WTF is up with Target?

Damnit I want that game!

Warlock
11-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Get it at Best Buy :P Or really anywhere besides Target or Gamestop :P

Target sucks too. They once advertised Final Fantasy IV Advance as coming on a Wednesday (even though every other ad said Tuesday). Theirs was the cheapest price so I waited. Wed. comes, no FF4A. On top of that, Sin City which also came out that day was completely sold out there. Took the ad to Best Buy and got both (of which there were MANY copies).

Grasshopper
11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Reserving games is just their way to make sure you keep coming back to shop there. Although, I don't see how thats relevant. If I like the store, I'll come back regardless of a pre-order. Its a corperation. They all have their scams, even Best Buy. Personally, I say learn the quirks and deal with it because we'll have to buy if from somewhere regardless of where.

Cloral
11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
What I like so far is that each star is like a level instead of some random task you have to do within a larger area. Like Warlock said, no red coin bullshit.

And man, running around on those planetoids is trippy. Unlike anything I've played in a game before.

Warlock
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Few more comments:

The camera can sometimes be wonky but is otherwise ok I guess. People are saying it's "amazing" but it seems like typical 3d Mario camera to me. Maybe not as bad as Sunshine's, but it can get annoying at times. In particular, it loves to hide 1ups so I have to basically get them on a tiny ledge next to a pit, but I can't see where the ledge ends or where I am jumping, and it's really picky about when you can re-center the camera. Also, free look (Up on D-pad) is like 150-160 degrees left/right only, which is annoying as hell and makes me wonder why they included it at all.

My only other real complaint was that the intro where Bowser kidnaps Peach was pre-rendered On my 50" Plasma HDTV it was PAINFULLY obvious because it was compressed and looked shitty compared to the rest of the game

But one other thing I like - the fact that you do not have to stop and press "A" to talk to everyone. Only the people with important and/or long-winded stuff require you to stop. The rest just say stuff when you get close. Not only is this really nice (as I generally like to talk to everyone in case they say something important) but it's a great way of filtering out who has something important to say, and who is going to say something like "Hi Mario!"

Edit: I also enjoyed the Manta Ray level. That was a cool change of pace. It was a little difficult, but I only died once :) It actually made me really want to see a Wave Race game on Wii now :D

Modus Ponens
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I love this game! For one thing, its soundtrack is beautiful. It's chock-full of orchestrated goodness and really gives the game an "I'm really happy to be playing this right now" feel. And I love that it's more of a challenge, what with only having three life points (unless you get a power-up). I really love how when you first fly up to a galaxy, on your way there you can try to collect any star bits you see even before you land. I'm really looking forward to playing this game with a second player helping me out.

So...I got it at Fred Meyer on its release date. I have to give a huge endorsement to Freddy's because they've had almost every game I've wanted on its release date instead of the day after like GameStop/EB. Plus, I think they're not really viewed as a "game store," so they tend not to sell out right away--I think I was the first person to buy a copy from my local Fred Meyer, and I know I was the first person to buy a copy of Phantom Hourglass from there.

What's on your list today?™

Matteo
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm now 35 stars in and this game keeps getting better. The plot actually isn't bad, plus it seems optional, another feature I like. There are tons of secrets and stuff that I keep finding that make it ever more exciting. I feel like theres stiil so much more to do and I'm already around 10 hours in. This game has plenty of gameplay. I don't understand the people who said it had 15-20 hours of gameplay. Its got twice that, easy.

Some of the music will leave you smiling with nostalgic joy. I realize after playing this how few truly AAA titles there have been in the last 5-10 years.

Go... play..... now ...........!

Breaker
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm at 60 stars and about 7-10 hours in. There are a lot of secret stars throughout the levels, including the special Comet levels. I'm willing to bet to play as Luigi you have to beat Bowser with the daredevil comet w/ only 1 heart.

Pineconn
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Wait, the game is out?

I need to come out of Internet exile.

I personally love the franticness of buying these big games as soon as possible. Going around to store after store after store in disappointment... I love it! Except when it happened to me with Twilight Princess.

rock_nog
11-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, my ordeal is finally over. The thing was, Target and Gamestop are the only places nearby (though a Best Buy is coming soon - but I won't shop at Best Buy, not after I bought a defective graphics card and they tried to convince me it was fine). Anyway, I ended up having to go across town to Toys'R Us. Didn't turn out too bad, though, because not only was I able to get the game, but I got a $25 gift card, which I was really not expecting at all.

Anyway, OH MY FREAKING GOD THIS GAME IS SWEET! There are two things that pissed me off about Mario 64 - the camera controls and the fact that guessing what you're supposed to be doing was apparently half the challenge. Thankfully, Mario Galaxy has fixed both of those problems. My only real complaint so far is the Manta Ray level. That pissed me off so much - it was like a one-level flashback to the worst of Mario Sunshine. Only took a couple of tries to beat it, but still... Other than that, the game has basically been flawless.

Revfan9
11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
I got the game yesterday and played it all the way through. If anything, it's Mario 64 with linear worlds and cheesy gimmicks.

Not to mention that movement feels extremely lose and strange. Am I the only person who hates running with Mario upside down for half the game?

Game's also extremely easy. Aside from the "Not my fault" deaths like falling into a bottomless pit that the camera won't let you see, or annoyingly falling off the edge over and over again in the Ray Surfing game and that ball-spinning one, I think I died like, twice. Bosses don't take much effort to defeat at all. They usually die after 3-4 button presses, even later in the game.

Didn't live up to the hype, but then again, what does? At least it wasn't as awful as Twilight Princess.

Breaker
11-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Did you play the game all the way through, or just get 64 stars and kill bowser? =/

Warlock
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1269&cs=1

What a loser. Is that a review for SMG or Ratchet and Clank? Because it sure as hell reads like the later.

Even if he didn't like the game, this has got to be one of the worst reviews I've read in a long while. Most of it just spends time bitching about the Wii's hardware and how it's not as good as PS3.

Petoe
11-15-2007, 02:21 PM

What a loser. Is that a review for SMG or Ratchet and Clank? Because it sure as hell reads like the later.

Even if he didn't like the game, this has got to be one of the worst reviews I've read in a long while. Most of it just spends time bitching about the Wii's hardware and how it's not as good as PS3.

Yeah, what an asshole.
Even though SMG's graphics aren't the best technically, I'd say it is one of the most gorgeous looking games of this generation so far.

Dechipher
11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I thought Bowser was a turtle, Yoshi the dragon. Maybe I'm mistaken....

Also, it irritates me when people bitch about the motion sensing not being used to its potential. No one wants to play a game like that. It would be terrible if you had to move mario around by flicking your wrist everywhere.

Warlock
11-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I thought Bowser was a turtle, Yoshi the dragon. Maybe I'm mistaken....

No, you're not.. he's just an idiot.

Matteo
11-15-2007, 11:48 PM

That review is sponsored by Sony... it says it on the top right of the review.

Revfan9: Are we even talking about the same game? Seriously, I respect your opinion, but your comments don't make any sense. The controls are spot-on! The game itself is not very linear, while the levels might be a little, I found myself picking up hidden stars etc when I was going for the listed star. Easy? I guess your more hardcore than I am, because I have died many, many times already on various levels, bosses etc. The game gives you plenty of 1-ups but the gameplay itself isn't easy.

Yeah, its similar to SM64, but wasn't SMB3 and SMW similar to SMB1? This game is to SM64 what SMB3 was to SMB1, a continuation of a great formula, with diversity in level design, more of a fleshed out story, and innovative controls and power-ups.

Kairyu
11-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Just got to Ray surfing. Controls certainly take some getting used to, and I'm finding myself less than satisfied with the camera at least thrice a level, generally more, but if nothing else I'm impressed by the sheer insanity involved in just walking around on some gravity-bending planetoids. Stage design certainly seems to have picked up quickly as well. I'm enjoying it so far.

AlexMax
11-16-2007, 01:46 AM
The Mario games have been around for over twenty years, and as such have developed quite a legacy, as well as a standard to live up to. The first 3d entry in the series, Super Mario 64, threw conventionality out the window and completely shocked and awed the video game industry with its innovation and style. The second 3d installment, Super Mario Sunshine, took Mario 64 to the next level, introducing a more cohesive environment, even better controls, and a completely innovative new game play mechanic which made the game really feel like something different. Super Mario Galaxy had quite a lot of hype to live up to, indeed. Yet it turns out that Mario Galaxy completely ignores the series' progress achieved with Super Mario Sunshine, and instead harkens back to 1996 gaming.

Mario 64 was one of the first games to utilize the "central hub" concept. Sunshine built upon the castle in 64 by presenting an entire beautiful tropical island to explore. Mario Galaxy simply copies the castle from 64, and puts it into outer space in the form of a space station, while making it much smaller . From this space station, you access different worlds to collect stars, which open up new worlds. After a certain amount of stars collected, you can fight the final boss. Sound familiar? There is one difference here though; fun side missions, such as collecting blue and red coins, are either greatly reduced or gone. These missions in SMS provided different ways to experience familiar levels, and the blue coins added a strong sense of exploration. The lack of this mission variety is a surprising step backward for the series.

The story is nonsense. The premise is that there is a 100 year festival to celebrate a star, but during this festival Bowser interrupts and literally rips the Princess's castle into space. In a completely random stroke of luck (read; amateurish plot device) Mario is transported into space and begins his quest. After the original and excellent story of Mario Sunshine, this story, filled with video game cliches and amateur story telling, is very disappointing. The story isn't all important in a Mario game, but that's still excuse for Nintendo to take the easy way out in regards to plot in 2007, when we expect our games to have better, more epic, stories.

The entire game takes place in outer space. While this had the potential to result in a cohesive environment laced with immersion that makes the player feel like part of the game, what we have with Super Mario Galaxy is a disjointed mish-mash of different themes. It seems as if the development crew simply tried to come up with as weird themes as possible, without giving much effort to immersion or cohesion. You'll find lots of variety, but that's not always a good thing. Sunshine proved that a Mario game could have a common theme and make you fall in love with the world, but Mario Galaxy is truly out-of-this-world in this regard; you cannot fall in love with these environments, because they are so random. Another step back from Sunshine.

The controls offer another way for the game to kill any sense of immersion. One of Mario's power ups is ridiculously hard to control, and certain missions, like the Sting Ray ride and the Ball, are equally as wonky. This is more due to the Wii's primitive motion controls than the game itself, but the problems still can't be ignored. The game also includes pointer functionality. You can use the IR on the Wiimote to collect power ups around Mario and interact with the environment. Interacting with the environment is a great idea, but ultimately remains undeveloped. Making power up collecting easier by pointing is a gimmicky idea that is done better in certain games without motion control. Thus, the controls are another step back from the perfect ones of Sunshine.

The game takes place on a multitude of spherical worlds, as well as some larger planets with a more traditional playing field. However, due to the lack of buttons on the Wii controllers, camera control has been taken away from the player. Instead, an automatic camera tracks player movement through the game. This works fine, even great, on the small spherical worlds. But on larger terrain, it feels archaic not to be able to move the camera with something akin to the C-Stick on the Gamecube controller, because it felt so great there. The camera is another surprising step back from Sunshine.

The gravity concept is fun at first, and is used in some interesting ways in the middle of the game, but towards the end it loses its appeal and becomes a gimmick. It seems like there was a lot of potential here, but cleverly designed puzzles and environments are almost non existent. The game makes you feel, the whole time, like you are about to uncover some truly great game play moments, but never delivers.

The visuals are pretty good for a Wii game, but the environments are usually very tiny and bland, and the game is displayed in a disappointing standard resolution. The framerate is rock solid 60 fps, but the sacrifice to make it SD aren't worth it and make the game look worse because of it. The game is easily outclassed by games on competing systems; in fact, it doesn't even come close. The music is great, but the lack of quality voice acting really hurts this 2007 game. The core game play is solid, but the vast majority of it has already been done in Super Mario 64.

In Super Mario Galaxy, an otherwise decent effort is ruined by some poor design choices, unintuitive controls, a poor camera system, and a total lack of game play innovation. The best way to describe Galaxy is that it is a complete step backwards from Sunshine, back to Mario 64. What worked well in 1996 is stale now, and the progress made in regards to control and camera were thrown out the window. The game does have its fun moments, despite its problems, and is quite playable, so the final score is a 5/10.

haha someone actually spent the effort to type this out holy shit

Breaker
11-16-2007, 01:59 AM
I found Galaxy to be a pretty fun game and had very little trouble with the camera angles. I've beaten it with 106 stars, but I'm still playing to unlock and replay as Luigi. As far as it not living up to Super Mario Sunshine..? I'm glad it's nothing like it.

Warlock
11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
haha someone actually spent the effort to type this out holy shit

When he hyped up Sunshine as "next level", that's when I knew he was full of crap :D

P.S. - I agree with mattwdr, Revfan9's post seemed really off.

Cloral
11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
In response to the ray surfing comments: It definitely takes some getting used to. I know I overturned on some of the corners more than once. But then again, it wasn't THAT hard. Really you shouldn't expect to go into a new type of area and be able to beat it on your first life. The fact that I died 3-4 times before getting it right is a good sign. It means there was actually some challenge to it.

As for the main game, I do find myself missing the camera controls at times. But then again, I probably used the camera controls more than most people. Like on Wind Waker, I would frequently use the camera controls to do my turning instead of pressing left or right on the movement stick. But the lack of proper camera controls certainly isn't a deal breaker.

Warlock
11-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Honestly, I did the manta ray level on my second try and beat the timer (which I hear you don't technically need to do). It wasn't really hard at all (the first time I almost beat it, I just overshot one of the turns near the end). You just need to realize you can't hold down the gas (A) the whole time. You need to let off it on some turns (but not excessively).

Breaker
11-16-2007, 03:54 PM
There are two manta ray levels. The second is quite a bit of fun when you get the hang of the controls. You need to grab the green stars to get to it.

Warlock
11-16-2007, 04:02 PM
There are two manta ray levels. The second is quite a bit of fun when you get the hang of the controls. You need to grab the green stars to get to it.

Ah ok, I am not that far yet. I've been sort of busy w/ WoW 2.3 :) But I have all next week off so I'll be able to beat it then :D

But yeah, the first thing I thought playing that manta ray level - damn I want to see a Wave Race on Wii... The water physics were very similar to that game and it was actually a lot of fun. I mean, baring "falling off the stage" which wouldn't really be in Wave Race, that could be awesome.

Breaker
11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Wave Race and Pilot Wings would be awesome.

rock_nog
11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Oddly enough, one of the more brilliant uses for the motion controls for me was the throwing shells/fireballs mechanic. Yeah, it was unnecessary, it could've been handled by a button press, yeah, it was just shaking the remote, but something about it just felt damn satisfying.

Matteo
11-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Oddly enough, one of the more brilliant uses for the motion controls for me was the throwing shells/fireballs mechanic. Yeah, it was unnecessary, it could've been handled by a button press, yeah, it was just shaking the remote, but something about it just felt damn satisfying.

Yeah, I agree. I have the opinion that this game has some of the greatest controls to ever grace a videogame.

Also, that Gamefaqs review is just ridiculous. The reviewer obviously has some sort of sick fantasy about getting stuck on an island with the Delfino people. Super Mario Sushine is in no way comparable to this game.

AlexMax
11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Whelp... (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y)

Imprisoned
11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I feel bad now. I've already used quite a bit of my 50€ monthly allowance, and next month is... err, what? December? Arrgh! Der stinkee rismach spoiling mi gaming fun! Have to buy some gifts for my family, and I'm already getting some sort of a gift card to a store to get a computer.

So I guess Galaxy has to wait for me... and I have to wait for it. Damn. I've watched the beginning of the game, then I closed the computer, hit myself to my head with a mallet, had some sleep, watched more of the video, got crazy and started shouting "I NEED THIS GAME!"

MottZilla
11-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, what an asshole.
Even though SMG's graphics aren't the best technically, I'd say it is one of the most gorgeous looking games of this generation so far.

Have you SEEN Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty 4? There are much more graphically stunning games than Mario Galaxy.

Rijuhn
11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
To be honest....anyone who doesn't enjoy Super Mario Galaxy should be killed. Yep, and that's why I don't hold any position of power, hehe. Anyway, bye. Hope this thread turns into a flame war and someone ends up dead on the street somewhere, that'd make great headline news.

MottZilla
11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
That's quite an endorsement there. I guess you can feel free to buy me a Wii with Mario Galaxy then so I can enjoy it. If you don't then it's your fault I'm not enjoying it. :p

vegeta1215
11-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm up to around 19 stars. The game is pretty fun, but I'm not sure if I like it better than SM64 or SMS yet. It's been very easy and very linear so far, which I'm not all that crazy about. Plus some of the levels/planetoids are very disorienting to play.

Petoe
11-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Have you SEEN Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty 4? There are much more graphically stunning games than Mario Galaxy.

Yeah, seen some of those games and I still say Mario Galaxy has just as good graphics, if not better than those games. Again, Wii graphics aren't technically as good as Xbox graphics, that's obvious, but still some Wii games like Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy are more pleasent to look at than PS3 or Xbox titles because of the great architecture and level design and all the small details etc. Every time I stop in Galaxy and take a look around, I go WOAH! Mario Galaxy just looks stunning.

MottZilla
11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Seen some of? I doubt it. The amount of detail in games like Gears of War and Assassin's Creed far exceeds what is possible on the Wii. I'm not saying you can't appreciate Mario Galaxy or like it better. I'm just required to give a reality check. The Wii has fun games but it can't compare to modern games graphically. Yes they can put some cool details in games, but so can games on PS3 or 360, and a hell of alot more of them.

Breaker
11-18-2007, 01:07 AM
I have a 360 and a Wii... there's no way the Wii can produce the kind of graphics that the 360 can. Ever. SMG is fun and worth every penny I spent on it, but the graphics are comparable to the gamecube. I hardly even consider the Wii a next gen console.

Gerudo
11-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Why do people continue to bitch about graphical comparisions between the 360/PS3 and Wii? I thought it was common knowledge that the Wii is pretty much a family console, whereas the 360 and PS3 catered to more hardcore-ish gamers, thus which there's not an emphasis on graphics, but gameplay. Sure almost all of the shit out on 360/PS3 is dead sexy on the eyes, but i'd probably find myself playing alot more Wii games than anything.

On topic here, I absolutely love this game. The two player mode brings in a sense of duty and actual help from the person holding the second wiimote. They can help collect star bits and stun enemies, making it a very fun experience. Alot of the textures and the music combined with the gameplay itself are just an enjoyable experience.

Breaker
11-18-2007, 02:37 AM
Calm down. Who's bitching? Mottzilla and I both admitted the Wii had very fun games, and SMG is probably one of the best platforming games to be released across all current systems IMO, mainly because of the gameplay.

Gerudo
11-18-2007, 02:40 AM
I may have not worded my reply properly to be understood as I intended it to be.

It was a general comment about the differences between the high end consoles and Wii. I hear nothing but good things about all systems, but I can't really say anything about the 360/PS3 because i've only played demos.

Grasshopper
11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Mott, don't you dare mention Gears of War in absence of Unreal Tournament 3. Its blashpemy...its madness.

MottZilla
11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
GoW uses the Unreal 3 Engine, thus why would I need to mention UT3? Everyone should just know if they haven't been in a cave. :p

As Breaker said, no one is saying Wii sucks or anything like that. But we won't let you fool yourselves into thinking the Wii is more than an overclocked GameCube.

Russ
11-19-2007, 05:01 PM
As Breaker said, no one is saying Wii sucks or anything like that. But we won't let you fool yourselves into thinking the Wii is more than an overclocked GameCube.

Overclocked GameCube!? Wii is so much more than that! It is 10,000 times better than any other system!

AlexMax
11-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Overclocked GameCube!? Wii is so much more than that! It is 10,000 times better than any other system!

Subjectively.

Objectively, it's an overclocked gamecube with a waggle controler.

Aegix Drakan
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Subjectively.

Objectively, it's an overclocked gamecube with a waggle controler.

...and that's a problem because...?

AlexMax
11-19-2007, 05:13 PM
...and that's a problem because...?

It is?

Aegix Drakan
11-19-2007, 05:15 PM
..I was asking you if you thought that was a problem...>_>

MottZilla
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
No, it's a fact. The Wii is the GameCube overclocked, more memory, built in flash, wifi, and the wireless controllers. You can either like it or not, I don't care. I like it for what it is. But I don't bullshit myself into believing it's cutting edge technology or anything.

Grasshopper
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
GoW uses the Unreal 3 Engine, thus why would I need to mention UT3? Everyone should just know if they haven't been in a cave. :p

Of course. :) But sadly, not everyone can be graced with our intelligence, so me must speak of such things to them. And we must exalt the Tournament for its eminence.

Actually, I know its off topic, but I would like to know exactly how IBM's Broadway compares to their Gekko processor. How fast does the next-generation chip have to be over the past generation in order to not simply be classified as 'over-clocked'? Because, its very apparent that Broadway is drastically underpowered compared to the other CPUs. Is it only marginally better than Gekko?

Edit: let me try and pull in an edit before someone else posts. I've read posts or comments to news articles about the 'Revolution' that already stated it was a suped-up Gamecube, and this was almost 2 years ago. Has anything changed? Or does it really matter? Maybe so, but the last year hasn't really given us a clear indication on whether it has or not. If it wasnt' for that darn 'shortage' of systems maybe things would settle down better. On the other hand, at least Mario seems to be a really cool game. :)

with a waggle controler.

LOOK MA! I got a waggle!
Aaahhhh!

The_Amaster
11-19-2007, 06:35 PM
But I don't bullshit myself into believing it's cutting edge technology or anything.
I have to object here. No other company has achieved near the Wii's level of accuracy in motion sensing on a commercial console. PS3 has that stupid little tilt thing, but thats about it. Thats cutting edge to me. Basicly, what your saying is that you define "cutting edge" by graphical capability alone.

vegeta1215
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
If you guys want to argue about consoles, do it in another thread. Get back on topic (namely Super Mario Galaxy)

I'm up to like 43 stars or so now. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and I am eager to unlock each new galaxy to see what they come up with next, but the game is pitifully easy, very linear, and just doesn't feel the same as M64 or SMS, possibly due to the much lesser sense of exploration and discovery compared to the other two 3D Marios. Again, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I am not convinced it is better than either of the other two yet. (yes even Sunshine)

DarkDragoonX
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
You know what I want? I want a chart that measures the increase of absurdity in this thread from start to current.

EDIT: It is an extremely easy game, and rather linear, to be sure. It's still a lot of fun, though. One thing I actually like is the almost wario-warish nature of some of the stages, where each small planetoid is it's own challenge to overcome, then on to the next one. While I do wish there were some levels that used the old SM64 formula, I think the gameplay flow in SMG is successful for the most part.

Cloral
11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah. I'm finding myself wishing that the main-sequence galaxies (namely the ones with 3+ stars on them) were a bit more challenging. I don't like that the main challenge comes from minigame-esque levels that I could completely skip if I wanted to.

vegeta1215
11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Alright, the game has redeemed itself somewhat:

-=SPOILER=-

Petoe
11-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I have 45 stars at the moment and I love the game more and more the further I get!

My favorite galaxy so far has been the Sling Pod Galaxy because it was damn tough, and I love a good challenge. :)

And why the heck some certain people have to always ruin these topics with their "Wii is archaic" bullshit...

Breaker
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
And why the heck some certain people have to always ruin these topics with their "Wii is archaic" bullshit...

Nobody has said the Wii was archaic, or were we putting the system down in terms of gameplay. It's an innovative system, but technically not very different from the Gamecube. Nobody is putting it down. Stop being a fanboy, it's a fact. I own a Wii and I'm very satisfied with it.

If you've been following the topic, you'd see several criticisms that it resembled Mario 64 and SMS. We were responding to that. Let the moderators decide if topics are being ruined, k?

Grasshopper
11-20-2007, 12:16 AM
I'll more than likely be waiting until Christmas before I get my Mario fix.

MottZilla
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Grasshopper, it was confirmed that nothing has changed from the GameCube to the Wii other than the chips were made more efficant that they could run faster/cooler I believe. But the end effect is just GC but with more horse power and memory. But no where near the increases PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to 360 made. That is the increase needed to be "next-gen".

Also I've heard the motion sensing technology in the SixAxis actually is more advanced than what's in the Wii. Also remember there are limitations to both and motion controls aren't all what they are cracked up to be.

If SMG plays like Mario 64 I'd be happy. ;p But still that's no longer enough for me to buy stuff. Nowdays it must be multiplayer to warrent purchasing just about.

rock_nog
11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
It could do worse, in terms of linearity. I actually like the fact that once you have few stars, you can pick and choose which levels you want to do in the order you want to do them. Also, it makes sense to me that the challenging galaxies are optional. Skilled players need a challenge, but you don't want to make it impossible for less-skilled players, either.

Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of Mario 64, and was a little worried by the comparisons? It's not that I didn't like the idea, it was just the execution that bothered me. Between the sometimes fickle controls, the wonky camera, and the fact that every stage seemed like "Wander around aimlessly until by sheer luck you just happen to activate whatever event gives you a star," I just did not enjoy it all that much.

Oh, and who cares that the Wii is an overpowered Gamecube? Personally, I'd be posting from an Apple II if I could, as I've always been more of a fan of doing the most you can with what you've got, in terms of hardware. I have always felt that new hardware breeds lazy programming.

Cloral
11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh, and who cares that the Wii is an overpowered Gamecube? Personally, I'd be posting from an Apple II if I could, as I've always been more of a fan of doing the most you can with what you've got, in terms of hardware. I have always felt that new hardware breeds lazy programming.

...which just proves that you're not a programmer.

MottZilla
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
rock_nog, you can be lazy on any platform. You can write inefficant code for anything. Newer hardware often is pushed very hard by well coded software and it isn't going to waste. Also, very few developers will put much effort into getting every last drop of performance from the Wii. There are few developers like that. Rare, Factor 5, um... well that's about all I could think of and both aren't likely to work on the Wii.

It's good to get the most out of the hardware but actually wanting to have less power at your disposal makes no sense to me. :p

rock_nog
11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I was just making a commentary on the state of computing. Seems like with each generation of hardware/software, we need more and more power to do the same damn thing. I mean things like web browsing, word processing, etc. Those things should boot up and run instantly on a modern system, and yet they don't.

And yes, you can be lazy on any platform, but different platforms put different limits on how much laziness you can get away with before the program just doesn't run. I mean, say, for example, I'm designing a word processor on a low-end system vs. a high-end system. There's a much lower threshold before feature-creep chokes the program on the low-end system. Oh sure, it's nice to have that extra power, especially if you're just writing the application for yourself, but personally, I think it's better when the application can run on a larger variety of systems.

Besides, half the point in getting a new system is not just so you can do more things, but so that you can do the things you already do faster.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Quick question. Anyone else having this problem?

-=SPOILER=-

DarkDragoonX
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
That's completely normal. The number of lives you have resets to the default every time you load the game. The letter acts as a sort of permanent increase to the number of lives you start with after you load, once you start getting it.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Annoying. I kind of figured it was something like that. Thanks.

Breaker
11-21-2007, 01:01 AM
anybody else beat the game yet? I'm almost at 120 stars. It'll be interesting playing the game as Luigi.

vegeta1215
11-21-2007, 02:17 PM
anybody else beat the game yet? I'm almost at 120 stars. It'll be interesting playing the game as Luigi.

I just beat the game with 60 stars. I really breezed through it though, so I'm glad there are 60 left to get. I'll be working to get the rest slowly over the next few weeks.

ctrl-alt-delete
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Completely off-topic:
Vegeta, I see you are currently playing through Zack and Wiki. What do you think? I was thinking about picking it up, and your impressions are usually pretty reliable.

I love Super Mario Galaxy. It is amazing.

If this post makes no sense, it is because I am drunk.

On Wednesday night. Happy Thanksgiving.

vegeta1215
11-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Completely off-topic:
Vegeta, I see you are currently playing through Zack and Wiki. What do you think? I was thinking about picking it up, and your impressions are usually pretty reliable.

http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99977 ;)

Warlock
11-22-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm up to 95 stars right now. Anyone who says this game is easy obviously hasn't tried to get all the stars. Most of the comet levels in particular can be a bitch (1HP boss battles are fun :D) and if you get get the three green stars, those new levels you unlock are crazy challenging (except the bubble one, I thought that was decently easy)

Petoe
11-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm up to 95 stars right now. Anyone who says this game is easy obviously hasn't tried to get all the stars. Most of the comet levels in particular can be a bitch (1HP boss battles are fun :D) and if you get get the three green stars, those new levels you unlock are crazy challenging (except the bubble one, I thought that was decently easy)

This is oh so true.
I see people moaning and whining everywhere how this game is way too easy. Well those people obviously haven't tried to get all 120 stars. ;)

Warlock
11-22-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it's actually good what Nintendo did - they didn't make the game rediculously hard, so the casual crowd can still beat it without a huge amount of trouble. But then they have optional difficult levels for the more hardcore crowd so the game is not a joke either.

I think one thing also that I've liked about it is that each star really feels like its own level. There are some cases where you revisit the same parts of the level, but it seems like in most cases each star takes you to a completely different area. So honestly, it makes it feel fresh. I mean, look at the first world in Mario 64 for example. All the stars were in that same exact area. It was really boring trudging through that 6 different times. Sunshine was sort of the same way as well, but they sort of "blocked off" the other areas of the level in some cases.

I'd even say some of the comet challenges which resemble some of the more tedious stars in previous games (purple coins = red coins, cosmic mario chase = shadow mario chase) are done way better. All the purple coin stages are really varied - some timed, some not - and very, very challenging (except for a handful.. Good Egg Galaxy's is rediculously easy). The Cosmic Mario chase is usually at least a somewhat different path through the level. I think one of my favorites was when I had to do an ice-skating race against him across several icy block platforms. That was cool :) I also like that most levels have a hidden star... some of them are easy to find (i.e. hungry luma) but others require some thought and a little venturing off the beaten path which is cool.

I will say though, the camera has really pissed me off at times. IGN is full of crap if they think it's better than Sunshine's. If anything, it's worse. There have been so many situations where the camera is not pointing at a good location it's not even funny. Particularly there are some points where you can go underneath platforms and the camera will not follow you. Which basically leaves you completely blind as to where you are going. Other times I've had blocks and trees and crap blocking my view. And the camera is REDICULOUSLY stubbern about when you can center your view, and when you can't. I mean, it doesn't even make sense. The 2d-ish parts, yes, I get that. But you should be able to center your view any other time. But it's really picky about when you can do that. And the free-look is worthless due to the short radius you can turn (seriously, why can't I turn 360 degrees? You're telling me Mario can't turn around while he's looking up? He has to first look down, turn around, then look up again?)

But the camera gripes are only minor I guess. The game is still pretty great :)

DarkDragoonX
11-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, the camera controls really aggravated me. The vast majority of the time, you have no control of the camera at all. It's retarded, and there's no reason for it.

Cloral
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I was thinking about how they could've made the camera controls better, and I think the best way to handle it on the Wii would be to make it so holding down C you can use the analog stick to control the camera. Sure you have to stop to do this, but you have to stop to move your thumb up to the DPad anyway. It's not an optimal solution (which would be to have a second analog stick like on the GCN controller), but it would certainly be a whole lot better than what they put in there.

Warlock
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
If they allowed you to re-center the camera anytime (except during the 2d parts, I understand that), and if the freelook was 360 degrees, that alone would help a ton.

Edit: Up to 111 stars! Almost there! I just have to do the Garden - I have everything else 100% complete. Yay :D

I wonder if there is a pattern to getting the comets to show up though. I'd hate to complete all the normal stars only to need the comets and not have them show. But then again, maybe if all you need is comets it will give you comets.

Oh yeah, and Toy Time purple coin level can GO TO HELL. Ugg. I'm glad I beat that. It only took maybe.. I dunno, 5 or 6 tries, but still.. yuck.

Warlock
11-23-2007, 02:43 AM
BTW, regarding sales:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164524

At least in the US, it's the fastest selling Mario game. So screw Japan :P

DarkDragoonX
11-23-2007, 04:07 AM
The thing about Japan is... it's Japan. They're crazy over there. Japan is the country that invented game shows involving being hit in the junk. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAkOhH9eek)

vegeta1215
11-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Oh yeah, and Toy Time purple coin level can GO TO HELL. Ugg. I'm glad I beat that. It only took maybe.. I dunno, 5 or 6 tries, but still.. yuck.

You mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfQmBbzvcc

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I still haven't beaten that level yet - I'll get it though. I'm up to like 92 stars right now. The levels are getting harder, like you said, but still not as hard as the FLUDD-less levels in Super Mario Sunshine. Those levels were tough.

Warlock
11-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Why on earth would that guy bother getting every purple coin in that level? :P

DarkDragoonX
11-23-2007, 11:14 PM
...but still not as hard as the FLUDD-less levels in Super Mario Sunshine. Those levels were tough.

On a related note, FUCK that godforsaken pachinko level.

Warlock
11-24-2007, 05:12 AM
On a related note, FUCK that godforsaken pachinko level.

See, that's exactly it. Sunshine's were harder, only because they were friggin' rediculous and cheap (and hampered by the bad camera). There are a couple levels like that in this (some of the purple coin ones for example - like the ones where you have to ride the moving platform and if you miss just one coin you lose), but they are not nearly as bad. Overall, I think the spin-jump really saves this game in terms of controls. It gives just the right amount of percision for landing on small platforms and the like - something the Hover Nozzle did, but obviously you had to have that stupid gimmick and when it was taken away, you lost that (and I swear jumping was broken in that game.. it was missing jumps from M64 like the Z-backflip I think).

Anyways, yay 120 stars! Luigi is kind of fun to play. I only did the first level with him but I think he moves faster (but he is slippery) and he does jump a bit higher which is nice.

I heard someone say though in the level where you have to rescue Luigi, you still rescue Luigi.. hahahaha.. so there are two Luigis :D I will have to check that out.

Imprisoned
11-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Hah, Luigi hasn't changed a bit he still has bad traction... can he walk on water for a bit like in SM64DS? And can you change to Mario anytime you want?

Anthus
11-25-2007, 03:53 PM
This post contains spoilers. Read at your own risk.

Hmm. It's hard to say this game sucked because it didn't, but it is far from
perfect, and it is slightly overrated (but not nearly to the extent of TP). I got this game hoping it would be awesome, and I even got one of those coins for pre-ordering it. The game is good, and it feels Mario-esque, but it lacks the same magic and true Mario feeling that SMB3 and SM64 had. The whole space thing isn't even all that great. They advertised that gimmick to hell, and in reality, only maybe 5-10 of the games 40+ galaxies use it extensively. This is probably a good thing though. It almost feels like they are running out of gimmicks so they pulled this space motif out of their asses because they are afraid to go backwards and make the same thing twice, even if it was awesome. I wanted a true Mario 64 sequel and this is close, but far from perfect, similar to SMS.

Onto the subject of planetoid walking, am I the only one who thought it felt awkward and hard to control? Especially considering the camera is automatic, and flips around a lot, especially in the first galaxy. When you walked to the underside of a planet, the controls would sometimes invert, and it felt awkward and not very smooth as I found myself walking in tight circles while trying to get the direction right.

The game does have some redeeming factors though. It does offer a fair share of "massive" galaxies to explore. All of them follow classic Mario set up too. You have you dessert land, grass land (sort of), lava land (personal favorite), ghost land, and some others. There are even a few tropical areas. Even though these areas are nice, the objectives feel short and easy. Even up through the end. In particular the last area, and final battle are pretty anti-climactic. You only need half of the game's stars to complete it, and it is not too terribly difficult to get them all. SMS was difficult in a challenging way. This game seems very easy in an almost boring way. I have 72 right now. There is also very little room for exploration. Most of the stages are pretty linear. At least in SMS (which was great) you could explore the large stages and find the shine at your own leisure. This time around you're stuck on a path. Occasionally though, you can feed a certain character a certain number of plot related items and find a secret planetoid and get a secret star. I still miss the sense of freedom and exploration SM64 and SMS had. SM64 was still the best in this aspect since you could get stars out of order.

Oh, and one more thing: I am so fucking sick of Luigi being made into this reluctant panzy sissy character. No. What ever happened to the old days where Luigi was just as competent as Mario? I can't stand his new character.

So, that's pretty mush it. It is pretty awesome, but it has some flaws. But what game doesn't?

MottZilla
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Luigi was originally a palette swap of Mario. Then in SMB2 (japan) they made him jump higher but slippy I believe. Then in SMB3 he was back to a clone but with his own graphics. Same with SMB4 (World). But I mean come on, they have to make him different really. Do you really just want to play Mario but with Luigi's face/green colors? The whole point is for him to be different, atleast in single player games. Maybe if you are playing 2 player you want it the same to be fair.

Which makes me remember, after SMB4, they completely dumped 2 player from Mario. That's kinda gay.

rock_nog
11-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree, I hate how Luigi is always made out to be a bumbling buffoon. They're the Super Mario Bros., not Super Mario and Loser Luigi.

Aegix Drakan
11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
I agree, I hate how Luigi is always made out to be a bumbling buffoon. They're the Super Mario Bros., not Super Mario and Loser Luigi.

Me too! I like luigi!

But I find that there is one game where he can clean the floor with mario. Mairo hoops 3 on 3. His special is the easiest one to pull off. Instead of trying to tap out an M, an awkward, B, or a triangle, it's a nice simple L, turning his back to the enemy, making him harder to steal from. ^_^

Anywaaay...just tried this out at a friend's. Oh my gosh...It's incredible. It just feels surreal, that's how awesome it is. I am getting it when I pick up my Wii, that's for sure.

DarkDragoonX
11-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Got all 120 stars, and I'll likely slowly get through it again as Luigi over the next couple weeks. One thing I have to say is that I really, really like the purple coin stages. Some have you ride on rails without missing a coin, some are tests of speed, others have you explore every nook and cranny of a stage, but all of them are a blast. For the first time ever in a platformer, I wish there were even more stages devoted these type of collection levels.

Warlock
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Luigi was originally a palette swap of Mario. Then in SMB2 (japan) they made him jump higher but slippy I believe. Then in SMB3 he was back to a clone but with his own graphics. Same with SMB4 (World). But I mean come on, they have to make him different really. Do you really just want to play Mario but with Luigi's face/green colors? The whole point is for him to be different, atleast in single player games. Maybe if you are playing 2 player you want it the same to be fair.

Which makes me remember, after SMB4, they completely dumped 2 player from Mario. That's kinda gay.

He was a palette swap in both SMB3 and SMW... unless you are playing the GBA versions of those games (or the All-Stars version of SMB3) where they gave him the All-Stars graphics

Dechipher
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I wish there were even more stages devoted these type of collection levels.

They're not collection based levels, they're objective based.

:P

bluedeath
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
This game rocks! My friend and I beat in on multi, I basicly beat bowser myself on his second part, I was player two and I was bouncing him everywheres and it was funny. It is possible to destroy Bowsers fireballs as second player.

MottZilla
11-26-2007, 04:59 PM
He was a palette swap in both SMB3 and SMW... unless you are playing the GBA versions of those games (or the All-Stars version of SMB3) where they gave him the All-Stars graphics

I was probably thinking of Allstars SMB3. Doesn't matter. My point is making him play different is GOOD, not bad. Unless it's 2 player where one player has strengths the other doesn't, as then it could be unfair.