PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize that Easter was being replace too

phattonez
11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, it's called Spring Holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Holiday

So now we have Holiday in December and Spring Holiday in March/April. :laughing: I wish that Bel was here to see what he would say about this.

Trevelyan_06
11-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Actually, not to be a shit disturber, but it's actually closer to it's true origins to call it Spring Holiday than Easter. Many of the so called "Easter" traditions and symbols that many Christians practice/use are in fact from Wiccan holidays and rituals celebrating the coming of Spring.

phattonez
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Well a lot of the things like the Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs have nothing to do with the real Easter, but Easter is a Christian holiday.

Icey
11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, if people want to celebrate the holiday still, but reject Christianity, I guess it makes sense for them to call it something else (as stupid as the name Spring Holiday sounds, that's their right). On the other hand, if the same people get angry at others for continuing to refer to it at Easter, that would be just blatant hypocrisy ("I get to choose what to call it but you don't!")

The Wikipedia article you linked to mentions some Christians getting angry over the perception that this is an attempt to secularize the Easter holiday. Honestly, have they been living under a rock? Secular elements have been added to the Easter holiday long before anyone changed the name... and non-Christian celebrations have been practiced in the spring longer than Christianity has existed.

It's not like someone else shouldn't have the right to go on an egg hunt unless they go to Church, or that someone else calling Easter by another name prevents you from celebrating Easter as a religious holiday. In fact... you'd think it would be preferable to Christians to strip the religious holiday of the commercial elements and categorize those things under a different name.

phattonez
11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
The only problem is that this doesn't strip it of the commercial elements. Maybe it's good that Spring Holiday will be the commercial part and Easter the purely religious part. I hope that if this must happen that it will happen like this. I just don't expect it.

Icey
11-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Well again it's an issue of semantics, compounded by the fact that a lot of the people who deride the secular celebrations involved in the holiday still practice them anyway.

Lilith
11-07-2007, 11:37 PM
---

King Aquamentus
11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
It's true. All we did was have a guy die then revive 3 days later. He didn't dance around like a beagle with bunny ears on and plant eggs all over the place. The term Easter... I don't think that really even has any religious meaning at all. could be wrong though...

Jenny
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
dont forget fall feast! ;)

I dont think they should change the names of holidays for the 3% of people who dont like religious stuff.

Grasshopper
11-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah, perhaps it is all semantics, but if it originally start out as being called one thing, why do people feel they need to change it? Who are they pleasing? If they are trying to be politically correct because not all people are Christians, then why bug out over holidays that were Pagan in origin? (Aka Christmas) It just doesn't make much sense. Although in all practicality, it's not like a mere handful of people will change anything, so its almost useless to complain. I just think its silly.

The term Easter, I don't know what it means, but I'm sure its a word derived from a particular yearly occurance. Even if religiously speaking, the word has nothing to do with, Jesus's resurrection takes place during this period of time (I suppose) so the holiday is conviently named "Easter".

Its not really a big deal if the word itself has religious meaning or not. Its the point of the celebration. If you want to buy chocolate rabbits and hunt eggs, then go do it. Nobody is stopping you, and certainly having a holiday called "Easter" as opposed to "Spring Holiday" isn't going to matter one way or another. So I honestly have no idea why they felt they needed to change it.

phattonez
11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
For the same reason that people can't pray in school.

Archibaldo
11-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Oh boy I can't wait to go looking for Spring Holiday Eggs left by the Spring Holiday Bunny. And all that Spring Holiday Candy. Mmmm.

Breaker
11-08-2007, 12:29 AM
This is outrageous. I'm going to vote for Ron Paul.

I wish Ron Paul was my dad.

rock_nog
11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
For the same reason that people can't pray in school.

Damnit, and now I have to hate you because you said that. And now I hate you for causing me to hate you by saying that. And now I've gone and caught myself in a recursive loop.

Trevelyan, not to get picky, but while I understood what you meant about Easter being a Pagan holiday, Wicca is actually a relatively new religion (some claim it has direct connections to old religions, but those claims are dubious at best).

phattonez
11-08-2007, 01:04 AM
You hate me because I see no problem with people praying in school? The teacher shouldn't lead it, but if someone wants to pray silently on their own, then what's the problem?

Separation of church and state has gone too far.

Lilith
11-08-2007, 01:14 AM
---

Trevelyan_06
11-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Trevelyan, not to get picky, but while I understood what you meant about Easter being a Pagan holiday, Wicca is actually a relatively new religion (some claim it has direct connections to old religions, but those claims are dubious at best).

You are indeed correct. However, that mistake was made by my typing monkey. I clearly remember saying Pagan not Wiccan. Unfortunatly, I've had to let him go. Happy now? You got a monkey fired! =D

But really, I don't care what anyone's beliefs are so long as they don't go about trying to force them on anyone else. And that includes the extreme separation of church and state people. I mean really, if you don't believe Jesus was a savior, that's fine. However, there are historical records of the man, and he was in fact crucified by the Romans. So if a group of people want to get together, call the time he was crucified Easter and make a religion of it, why does it bother you? Saying the word Easter, even in schools, is not going to instantly convert people to Christianity.

rock_nog
11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
You hate me because I see no problem with people praying in school? The teacher shouldn't lead it, but if someone wants to pray silently on their own, then what's the problem?

Separation of church and state has gone too far.

And just who's stopping you, I want to know? It's not like anyone has mind-reading rays. Nobody has banned praying in school - the issue is that it shouldn't be done in such a way as to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Keep it to yourself - there's no such thing as a thought crime, and even if there were, how would anyone know? I'm sorry, but the whole thing just sounds a little paranoid to me (at best - at worst, it's anti-liberal fear-mongering).

At any rate, the Easter business weirds me out, too.

Daarkseid
11-11-2007, 04:42 AM
The teacher shouldn't lead it, but if someone wants to pray silently on their own, then what's the problem?

Theres no problem if a student is to, in a discrete manner, pray by themselves in moments where their attention is not expressly demanded by an instructor or other school attendant.

Where there is a problem is when the school is expected to accommodate any religious practices of its students. For instance, allowing students 5 minutes or their room expressly for praying is a tacit endorsement by the school(a government institution) of any religious practices that take place in those five minutes.

The school prayer ban thats in place in this country only bans mandatory prayer sessions that often took place at the start of class sessions.

e;f,b, could've probably done with reading the topic to its end