PDA

View Full Version : Two questions concerning water and the string editor.

The_Amaster
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
First...

How exactly does drowning water work? It doesn't seem to be a flag, or a combo type, or a...

Second, and this is more of a minor request, for a way that when Link gets an item given by the new codes he holds it up, or the option to?

EDIT: Okay, third. I know the feature freeze and all, but really, this is just duplicating code. What if the code for drowning was copied, pasted, and rebranded with a different animation (i.e falling) and a different combo. (i.e pit). Five minuites work, really.

Joe123
11-06-2007, 06:00 PM
There's a quest rule 'Link drowns in walkable water'
Check that, then make your water combos walkable.

The_Amaster
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Ah, thank ya Joe.

Gleeok
11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Well actually I couldn't get this to work at all in 635. I turned on the quest rule, pasted the screen with w.water combos, and ziltcho. What's it supposed to do? Kill Link instantly, or slowly drain his hp maybe...I don't know.

The_Amaster
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Your waters walkable, right? When Link is on it, he loses a quarter heart and returns to his start in the room.

Joe123
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
If Link doesn't have the flippers, when he walks onto a walkable water tile he drowns, takes a small amount of damage and respawns...
Where he entered the screen or something.

By the way, you do know the anagram for 'Quest Database' that you have in your signature has one too many 'a's and 't's right?

EDIT: Heh, looks like you just beat me to it Amaster :P

_L_
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
EDIT: Okay, third. I know the feature freeze and all, but really, this is just duplicating code. What if the code for drowning was copied, pasted, and rebranded with a different animation (i.e falling) and a different combo. (i.e pit). Five minuites work, really.

My intention exactly! Unfortunately, making a new combo type just isn't something I ought to do right now.

Russ
11-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Dang, I really wish ZC wasn't on a feature freeze now. I miss all the new features that came in with new builds.

DarkDragon
11-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Well if people stopped begging the devs to sneak in new features, there wouldn't be new bugs pouring in daily, and the stable release might come in a finite amount of time...:mad:

Russ
11-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Got it, don't ask devs to sneak new features in. Hey, _L_, I got this great idea... Just kidding. Sorry, I can't control sarcasm. But seriously people, listen to DarkDragon's advice.

Gleeok
11-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Well if people stopped begging the devs to sneak in new features, there wouldn't be new bugs pouring in daily, and the stable release might come in a finite amount of time...

Wait, what!? There's a few things that should be fixed up for 2.5, but new features, uckfey atthey. People: If we wan't to have new features then A, script them, or B, wait for post 2.5.

By the way, you do know the anagram for 'Quest Database' that you have in your signature has one too many 'a's and 't's right?

Thanks, I fixed it. Plus I think everyone knows it's back up by now.

Joe123
11-07-2007, 03:51 AM

Both me and Matthew have scripted this if you go and look in the script showcase forum...
I'm not entirely sure how his works, because it's meant to be extra options for deep water, so it might not equate to bottomless pits; I haven't tried it, but that's what mine does.

I explained how it works in This Thread (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30769)

And I think I might edit it so it uses a combo type rather than a box, because at the moment you can't hookshot over it properly.

Praethus
11-07-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a perfectly working pitfall script that covers falling in a pit two ways: restarting at the start position taking some damage, or pitwarping to a new screen. It uses falling animation and the sfx from LttP for Link falling. It also correctly handles the Hookshot and Jumping. (The trick to handling hookshot lies in Link's action. When Link is hookshoting his action is "frozen" so just say that if Link is frozen he can't fall in your script.)

Russ
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I have a perfectly working pitfall script that covers falling in a pit two ways: restarting at the start position taking some damage, or pitwarping to a new screen. It uses falling animation and the sfx from LttP for Link falling. It also correctly handles the Hookshot and Jumping. (The trick to handling hookshot lies in Link's action. When Link is hookshoting his action is "frozen" so just say that if Link is frozen he can't fall in your script.)
Well what are you waiting for? Release the script! Please.