PDA

View Full Version : *cries*

moocow
11-02-2007, 07:09 PM
http://a967.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_324661769c963f5ecca0c96f2dcc320e.jpg

That's my dog, Tasha (picture was taken in May). She's a German Shepard/Collie mix, and she turns 19 years old this month.

Despite her age, she was always pretty spunky. Like most people, she would have her off days, but that's normal.

We got her 13 years ago, shortly after Thanksgiving. Our dog, Curly, had died the morning of Thanksgiving, so we went out to get another dog to try and fill the empty hole in our hearts from the passing of our family friend. I was 10 years old, my sister was 3.

Around the beginning of summer, my mom talked to her vet to see what we should do with her. Her vet said that if she wasn't having accidents, growling or biting at people, to just give her some Tylenol or ibuprofen for her arthritis. Things were looking up and we were hoping she would die peacefully here at home, that's what we all wanted. Unfortunately, for the past week or so, she hasn't been doing well. Tasha has been having accidents on the back porch, and this morning my mom found her laying in a puddle of urine and feces. Mom tried to clean her up and help her outside, but Tasha growled and bared her teeth at her attempts. So we've decided that it's time to have her put to sleep.

It may be ridiculous, I don't know, but I've been crying about this all day. It's embarrassing to be sitting at work and just randomly burst into tears, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't control it. Tasha is my puppy, she is like my best friend. I don't want her to go, but I don't want her to suffer, either. This is the hardest thing I've ever gone through. It feels like she's been around forever, and now by the time I get off work at noon tomorrow, she'll be gone forever... I can't stop thinking about it, trying to imagine what my life will be like without her. She's always been there. She used to sleep with me when I was sad. The night I found out I was pregnant, she laid in bed with me all night, not moving at all, with her nose under my chin while I cried myself to sleep. She'd sleep with me when it stormed (she was scared). She loves the snow.

It hurts. It's like losing your best friend. My dog is leaving and there's nothing I can do about it. All I can do is cry...

I love you Tasha.

The_Amaster
11-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow. Yeah, I hate that feeling. They put my cat to sleep when I was 8, and the whole day at school I just stared blankly at the wall. It really sucks losing a pet. Best wishes Moocow.

vegeta1215
11-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Really sorry to hear about your dog mooie. It's a really sad time when you lose a pet who's been so close to you for so many years. There is something you can do though, you can remember all the good times and be happy about all the experiences you shared. :)

Russ
11-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I am so sorry. This happened to my friend once. My mom went through the same thing. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Prrkitty
11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
It does hurt honey... like the sharpest knife to ever touch and pierce your heart and soul. Two of my previous dogs were put to sleep within my arms... Foxy (my Pomeranian) and Lancelot (my Wire-haired Terrier/Poodle mix).

It sounds like Tasha had a most wonderful life. And what will help you thru this is to realize that she's not in pain anymore. At her age arthritis is one of the hardest problems that a dog lives with and y'all did the best you could for her. :)

You know how to find me if you need someone hon. Crying helps water the flowers in heaven for our loved ones... no matter the flavor.

<hug>

edit: Keep that picture of her close. That's a beautiful picture. :)

biggiy05
11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
I know how you feel. I've lost two dogs so far. Sam was around before I was even born but from the first day I came home all the way until the end he was around me all the time and always looked out for me.

We've had scares with Lucky and almost had to put her to sleep twice now and it's scared me to death. I don't know what I'll do if I ever lose my puppy Roxy because I've had her since she was born.

The pain sucks and it's never really gonna go away but the best thing to do is remind your self of the memories you have.

I saw this in the paper a few weeks after I lost Sam.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Aegix Drakan
11-02-2007, 10:57 PM
...I'm sorry to hear about This, Moocow...

:( I've lost pets before, but...I never had much of a chance to get close to them. But from what I've heard from friends, losing a close pet (especially a dog or cat) is like losing a good friend.

Well, all I can really do is share my sympathies with you, Moo.

And biggiy, that Rainbow bridge thingy is really beautiful. :) Kupos to whever wrote that.

moocow
11-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks, everyone. I just spent a little time with her... so hard to do. Trying to figure out how to explain to Bladen that Tasha is leaving and not coming back... Thank you.

erm2003
11-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear about Tasha. It's really hard to lose a pet. They really are another member of the family. One of the dogs I have at my parent's is already 10 years old and starting to show her age. I don't even want to think about losing her.

moocow
11-03-2007, 12:56 PM
She's gone. I did fairly good at work, not crying at all until my dad called on his way to the vet. He wanted to bring her by work for me to see her before... I told him there was no way I could handle it. He sat with her the whole time, he wanted her to be comfortable. He's a wreck. We all are.

Modus Ponens
11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
This is really sad. Dogs are so completely wonderful. They can be the most loyal, unconditionally loving creature you'll ever meet. It's terrific that Tasha did make it to 19--all the more love and great memories, you know? And what a beautiful dog.

Ughh. I'd just like to share in your grief in the tiniest way that a stranger on the internet can. I'm very sorry.

Lilith
11-03-2007, 08:25 PM
---

vegeta1215
11-03-2007, 08:44 PM
We had a golden retriever for 9 years and one day he collapsed and fell down the stairs. This came out of no where, and he acted funny the rest of the day. Later that night he was having trouble breathing and we had a feeling something was going to happen. He couldn't even lift his head. We called my Dad and he rushed home from work to see him, and upon hearing my Dad come in the door our dog lifted his head up to see him one last time. We all sat with him as he passed - I listened to his heart stop beating. To this day I get choked up thinking about it. It was so sad. We never found out what really happened to him since we cremated him the next day. Our dog's name was Kody.

A few months later we got another golden, we named him Rudy. He is a very mischievous dog, (the opposite of Kody) but he is very lovable. He will never be a replacement for Kody - you can never really replace a loved pet, but he has brought a lot of happiness to our house again. He turned 3 this past October.

*b*
11-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Sucks, moocow. Just take comfort in the fact that you gave her a good life for so many years, and gained a friend in doing so. There's not much more I can offer other than that I know how you feel. It's always hard to lose someone, animal or not, that you've been close to for so long

moocow
11-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Right now, our dog Heaven (golden retriever) is all curled up on the floor with Tasha's blanket. I did a really good job about blocking her absence out of my head until Heaven curled up with that blanket. I think she finally understands that Tasha isn't coming home. Bladen hasn't asked about Tasha yet, and he might not. I don't know.

I'm babysitting for a friend tonight, and having him around has lightened everyone's mood. So even though I will probably lose sleep tonight (he's 2 months old), it'll be worth it because he's made everyone smile for the first time since Thursday...

Everyone, including Bladen, was so drained by all of this, that we all passed out around 5:30 for a nice long nap. My mom on the couch, dad in his chair, Bladen on the loveseat, my sister and I in her bed... It was a nice nap.

AlexMax
11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Losing a dog can be a numbing experience. A good friend of mine lost a relatively young dog to seizures, and it was really sad watching him go. Before his first, he was a really spunky dog, but after it he was always perpetually depressed and scared, and it was almost as if he didn't recognize anyone.

Said friends house was within walking distance, and a group of us (me, said friend, and his friends) were over there damn near every weekend, and we even remember when he got the dog, so between the crowd of us it was a rather sober experience when my friends parents decided to put him to sleep.

Condolences

cyberkitten
11-09-2007, 08:28 PM
aww, i'm sorry honey :( *hugs* it's sad to see the other pet(s) in the house mourning her absence too. comforting them and spending time with them will help them and should help you too a little. you can never replace a lost pet. i still miss shitty kitty and get choked up thinking about him and the way we lost him (he had seizures and snuck out of the house to get away and have one in private when a wild animal..we think a racoon or groundhog...came across him and mauled him. he was a precious little guy and was only about 8 months old. we came across baby gizmo a week before we lost shitty kitty, so that helped a little, but he'll never replace my shitty little man.
spike left two weeks ago to go live with his new family in cincy. he's adjusting very well and happy, but i'm still sad that i can't see him every day. they've invited me to come see him when i'm in cincy, but i don't know if i can yet.