PDA

View Full Version : Shop Conundrum

Megafont
10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok, I've been playing around in ZQuest again lately (v2.10). I saw in a custom quest I downloaded awhile back (The Hidden Duality), that there is a shop in the starting village. When you enter the shop, there is music in the background, and also, the graphics aren't dimmed. That custom quest is for ZC v1.92 by the way, and I was of course running it on that version. I assume that a shop can probably be done like that in ZC v2.10 as well though, but then again I could be wrong too. ;)

I've looked through several tutorials and have been experimenting in ZQuest trying to figure out how that was done. Normally when you make a shop, it doesn't have music, and the graphics are automatically dimmed. I tried setting up a tile warp to a room in another dmap to see if I could specify a room for my shop that way, but the tile warp settings appear to be overridden by the default behavior of warping to screen 80 for caves/item rooms. I made sure the correct palette is specified under Data->Palette, and the room looks fine in ZQuest, but it is noticeably dimmed when you go into that room in the game. So in the game, this dimming is giving the room an old, dirty, dilapidated sort of look to it, which I don't want. :(

The experimenting and trying to figure this out was kinda fun, but now that I've looked in a few of the tutorials and tried a few things, I'm out of ideas. Does anyone know how to accomplish making a shop the doesn't look dimmed and has music like the one in the starting town of the custom quest I mentioned above? Here's a link to it in the quest database: The Hidden Duality (http://www.armageddongames.net/zeldaclassic/viewquest.php?q=149)

I have a custom quest of my own (in ZC v2.10) that's in its infancy, and I'd like to make my shop like this, but obviously I don't know how which is slightly problematic. heh

Russ
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Make a dmap. Set it to be a dungeon. Set it's music to be shop music. Set up a room that looks like the inside of a house. Make the room type a shop. Have the out side of the house warp you to the room on the dungeon/shop dmap you just made. That's preety much how it works.

Megafont
10-29-2007, 07:33 PM
That's pretty much what I've done. But on the screen where the outside of the house is, if you set up the room type as shop and set the shop type and all that, it will automatically warp you to screen 80 of the same map, ignoring the tile warp settings.

In the tile warp window, if I change the type setting to Entrance/Exit, then the tile warp settings override the default behavior, but then when Link enters the room, it is empty, The guy and his items are not there, so that gets you to the right room, but with the catch of not having a shop in it!!

So it would seem that there is some stupid little detail that is messing things up if it is supposed to work like this. :confused:

Russ
10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Make sure the screen with the tile warp is not set to be a shop. Make sure the dmap the shop screen is on is a dungeon dmap. Make sure you set a guy, string, shop and shopt type. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what's wrong.

Megafont
10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, it's working now. I had the shop settings on the screen where the outside of the house is. I didn't know that it was possible that when you set those settings up on a screen, that they could actually apply to that screen itself.

The only way I knew how to set up a shop before was to just make a door or cave, and then set room type to shop and all that so when it warps you to screen 80, it will have the specified shop type set up in that room when Link warps to it.

This is cool though because it definitely gives a bit more flexibility than if you were only able to do it with the default warp to room 80 way. ;)

Thanks a bunch for your help. :)

Russ
10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
You're welcome.