PDA

View Full Version : Does your house have ghosts?

Prrkitty
10-26-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/homestyle/10/26/toh.got.ghosts/index.html

Quoting anything (in my opinion) would take away from the article as a whole.

Yes I do believe there are supernatural possibilities. Be they ghosts, someone from the afterlife trying to communicate or etc... I do not know.

All I have is a lot of little things that have happened to me in my lifetime that makes me question what it might or might not be.

The article is very interesting. It gives a valid set of steps to try to figure out what's going on and what options you have to choose from.

Aegix Drakan
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
A friend of mine had an exeperiance with a ghost once. Well, a presence, anyway.

His friend's dad died in their living room a while back. last summer, my friend was sitting there playing Magic (the cards) there one day, and began to feel like there were THREE people in the room. He said if felt like the guy's spirit was sitting there watching his kid play.

:P Well, at least my house is ghost fr-

*Stairs creak*

0_0

ShadowMancer
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
If you hear ghostly noises, look for natural causes first
Next step: Get ghost hunter to investigate
Avoid those who dabble in magic or offer "magical cleansings"

Well there is proof that the Ghost Hunters/T.A.P.S. thing is really getting popular :)
Although: Avoid those who dabble in magic True, there are some frauds out there but there is also some who are the 'real deal' (I know some ppl myslef) A combination of technology and natural human ability can be a great mix.

Breaker
10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
A combination of technology and natural human ability can be a great mix.

You mean power of suggestion and psuedo science?

Gleeok
10-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes but what if your house is haunted by ghosts of obsessive-compulsive neat freaks that clean all the rooms in your house while you're sleeping? Why would you want to get rid of them?

Din
10-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I think my house has ghosts. When I was going up the stairs, no air conditioning, I felt extremely cold part way. It was a hot day too. Now I believe in ghosts, another experience was when we took a video, there was a white foggy thing in the background, smiling and then when it went back to the same spot 2 seconds later, it was gone.
Now, an experience a friend had, was very freaky. When he first moved in to his new house, (this was about 4-5 years ago,) he tried calling, then he heard a voice say "Help me," Then his parents asked him why he was using the phone, it wasn't hooked up.

(Chill rushes through body,)

ShadowMancer
10-26-2007, 11:06 PM
You mean power of suggestion and psuedo science?
*Laughs uncontrollably at the small mindedness* :lol:

That was rude sorry...

But seriously
Is it really benificial to limit ones thinking to the 'scientificly proven' knowns only. Science will catch up eventually, just right now there is no way to 'measure' thus 'prove' the existance of 'supernatural things'
Although quantum physics is getting closer...

Not to turn this into a religious type debate or anything, I mean I'm not one to question or try to change others beliefs but I can't deny what I myself have experinced in my own life.

*Fades back into the shadows...*

gdorf
10-27-2007, 12:40 AM
But seriously
Is it really benificial to limit ones thinking to the 'scientificly proven' knowns only. Science will catch up eventually, just right now there is no way to 'measure' thus 'prove' the existance of 'supernatural things'
Although quantum physics is getting closer...

Not to turn this into a religious type debate or anything, I mean I'm not one to question or try to change others beliefs but I can't deny what I myself have experinced in my own life.

Small minded people lend too much weight to anecdotal evidence.

Theres an overabundance of foolish people in this world. I think its appropriate to rely on science rather than a non-substantiated claim from a stranger to fuel my beliefs.

:shrug:

Breaker
10-27-2007, 02:56 AM
*Laughs uncontrollably at the small mindedness* :lol:

That was rude sorry...

*Fades back into the shadows...*

Are there a lot of ghosts in your mom's basement? :rolleyes:

moocow
10-27-2007, 07:33 AM
My son has an imaginary friend that he's afraid of. He was starting to sleep in his bedroom again, until this "Cane" (that's the friend's name) came about, and now he's too scared to be in his room with the lights off. He won't go into a dark room anymore (he would just go in and turn the light on). In fact, it wasn't that long ago that I was fixing him something to eat, and the only light I had on in the kitchen was the one above the stove. Bladen kept grabbing my legs, crying, asking himto hold him because he was scared. I asked him what he was scared of, and he just kept pointing to the far corner of the kitchen. The next night he stood outside of the kitchen door and pointed at the same corner saying, "mommy, I'm scared".

I'm a little freaked out by all this.

Diaz-soul
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Well I have a teacher that saw a gosth once.

It all happend after 9/11. She was in a collage that they where using to keep the bodys of the people that passt away in the 9/11 attackt. After classes started, and when every thing had went back to normal, SHe had to stay after class to finished a project that took the whole night. She then went to the womans' restroom, and while she was washing her hands, she felt a chilli wind. when she turn back, she saw a ghost that she belives was one of the people that had pass away in the 9/11 attack. She told me that the ghost was asking for help.... She couldnt tell me more because it was too much for her, she started to cry...

I just hope that I dont see a ghost in my time...:scared:

MottZilla
10-27-2007, 01:52 PM
No I don't believe in bullshit. And we've had atleast 2 people died in this house. And they aren't here anymore as ghosts. Ofcourse, if you believe in ghosts you'll say we sucked them out of the house because we have an attic fan! Also I don't want to shock you ghost believers, but the easter bunny doesn't exist either.

Dechipher
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
My son has an imaginary friend that he's afraid of. He was starting to sleep in his bedroom again, until this "Cane" (that's the friend's name) came about, and now he's too scared to be in his room with the lights off. He won't go into a dark room anymore (he would just go in and turn the light on). In fact, it wasn't that long ago that I was fixing him something to eat, and the only light I had on in the kitchen was the one above the stove. Bladen kept grabbing my legs, crying, asking himto hold him because he was scared. I asked him what he was scared of, and he just kept pointing to the far corner of the kitchen. The next night he stood outside of the kitchen door and pointed at the same corner saying, "mommy, I'm scared".

I'm a little freaked out by all this.

I don't actively believe in the supernatural, but I've seen too many movies not to be a little uneasy in your position.

Prrkitty
10-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Mooie, ask Bladen to describe to you what he's seeing. As he answers ask him questions to help him get more specific. Was the house new when y'all moved into it? Do you know anything about the land the house is on?

Lilith
10-27-2007, 10:38 PM
---

Aegix Drakan
10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
0_0 Wow, Moocow. That's a bit freaky. I wish I knew how to help...

Oh, and Din...that thing with the phone...0_0 wtf...that's just scary.

...and why is it that most of these ghosts are asking for help? I mean, what kind of help could the living give the dead, anyway?

Also I don't want to shock you ghost believers, but the easter bunny doesn't exist either.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! [/sarcasm]

>_> I know that, thanks, considering it's been me hiding the candy for the last 5 years.

Pineconn
10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
I really don't know what to believe about ghosts. Common sense would say that ghosts don't exist, but apparently common sense also said that a wave is the only form of light. I've heard a number of stories about someone has died and then people have heard weird sounds, felt a presence of a spirit in a room, or something moved on its own.

But as Breaker mentioned, the power of suggestion can be pretty strong.

Trevelyan_06
10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
I don't really know what to think about the whole supernatural thing. A lot of so called "ghost sighting" can be easily explained away. However, that's not to say that there isn't stuff out there that can't be explained and can make you wonder.

That being said though, I'd like to submit that many "ghost" stories can be attributed to random acts of Robert Goulet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZhLDwU5Row).

DarkDragoonX
10-29-2007, 02:33 AM
I think my favorite thing about "haunted" places is how they always mentioned that so-and-so died there X number of years ago, as though the death of somebody in a location is a noteworthy event... if people had even a 0.1% chance of becoming a ghost at death, there'd be so many you couldn't walk ten feet without bumping into one.

I mean, you wouldn't even be able to go to the grocery store on account of all the canned food and produce flying about. At least not without a helmet.

Aegix Drakan
10-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I mean, you wouldn't even be able to go to the grocery store on account of all the canned food and produce flying about. At least not without a helmet.

XD Oh the mental image...

Bob? Can you pass the broco...Oh man, the ghost are at it again...Clean up on aisle twelve, please!

Grasshopper
10-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Just my personal opinion, but even being a religious person, I don't really believe in ghosts either. I've not witnessed any hauntings, but if my house were 'haunted', I sure wouldn't bother calling ghost hunters, and I don't feel I need my house to be 'exorcised'. I find mediums, psychics, or paranormal investigators to be rather silly.

I live next to some place that is said to be haunted. I would have never known if nobody told me. I laughed when I saw it was mentioned on one of those Haunted Places shows. Of all the times I been by the place, nothing ever happened, or was seen. I just thought it was funny.

Diaz-soul
10-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I find mediums, psychics, or paranormal investigators to be rather silly.
I live next to some place that is said to be haunted. I would have never known if nobody told me. I laughed when I saw it was mentioned on one of those Haunted Places shows. . I just thought it was funny.

Wow.. I find mediums, phychics, or paranormal investigators to be funny as well... One time me and my best friend whent to get our fortune told, by a Gipsy (a phyco), and he started to talk about what could happend...I couldnt hold it and just laugh right in his funny looking face... I tell you it was so freeking funnyXD :laughing:

Skulkraken
10-30-2007, 01:32 AM
A lot of people around here take ghosts very seriously. The two main types of spirits that are said to inhabit this island are the taotaomona and the duendes. The taotaomona are supposedly the spirits of the ancient Chamorros, and act as guardians of the land and the plants growing in it, especially banyan trees. The duendes are basically mischievous little dwarves/elves that like to play pranks on people.

I haven't had any supernatural encounters that I can remember, but according to my parents, I did when I was younger. (Apparently they had a local shaman seal away my ability to see ghosts so that spirits would leave me alone.) About the worst that happened was when my aunt died, and my family had to be the ones to handle the rosaries. It's honestly a bit unnerving to have a coffin sitting in the middle of the living room.

My mom is the main person in the family who claims to see ghosts. One story she's told took place when she was here at the community college I now go to. Basically, she went to the parking lot to drive back home, when all of a sudden, all the cars and people in the lot vanished. Everywhere she walked, there was no sign of her car, or of anyone else. Eventually, she got the idea that a spirit might be playing a trick on her, so she flipped her shirt inside out to nullify the spell. The instant she did, everything returned to normal. Then there was stuff like the catgirl she saw when she used to live in the Philippines...

My dad hasn't had much in the way of the supernatural, but he did once make a taotaomona angry. He was out on a fishing trip, when he needed to take a leak. He thus ran for the nearest tree. For a while after that trip, my dad kept getting hit with bad luck whenever he went fishing. My dad then remembered the tree, and thought that maybe he'd accidently pissed off a taotaomona living in the area. He then decided to try driving back to where that tree was and apologize to any spirit that might be living in it. One of his friends, on hearing this, tagged along in his own truck to help in case of trouble. While driving along that night, my dad's truck suddenly disappeared from the view of the other guy, who had been following along right behind him. My dad was able to reach the spot where the tree was, while his friend got stuck in an endless loop of road. Not until my dad finished saying his apology to the spirit was the other guy able to break free.

ShadowMancer
10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Are there a lot of ghosts in your mom's basement?
Idunno, my mom don't live with me.
I'm just saying what harm is it to open ones mind to the posibillites that may exist, it a big wide world and we (as humans) know a million times more about the world now then we did say 1000 years ago, and what was once considered 'magic' is now 'science' only difference is we now have a system of mesurement and rules to go by. We changed an unknown into a known, so in the next 1000 years who knows, mabye we will have technology that can record or even alow us to speak with the dead...

I did not mean to flame, I was just in an odd mood so sorry If I offended anyone.

I think its appropriate to rely on science rather than a non-substantiated claim from a stranger to fuel my beliefs.
That is the smartest thing I've read all day! You Should rely on your own experience to build your belief system and not on unclaimed proclimations from strangers. Just my personal opinion (and everyone has one) is there is no harm in bieng open minded, heck you may actually discover something you never thought could exist.

are you agnostic or wiccan
agnostic.. mabye not sure how you difine it.
wiccan.. not really (though I have read alot in my search for truth, of many belief systems and philosophies)
open minded explorer of both science and 'the unknown'... exactly :)
(also, if this has anything to do with the pentagrams in my avatar, well I like the symbol, I like what it stands for, so mabye I have a few Wiccan/Pagan beliefs :) )

and why is it that most of these ghosts are asking for help?
Well according to many beliefs, when a person dies and is emotionally attached to a place or event, instead of 'moveing on' they stick around in the etheral plane and become what we call a 'ghost' they need help because they are still 'reliveing' the event over and over again and cannot wake up and realize they are dead.
Robert Monroe explains this very well in his book 'Ultimate Journey' (which I am currently reading)
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Journey-Robert-Monroe/dp/0385472080
But if you are not open to that kind of stuff, just ignore this...

Russ
10-31-2007, 04:05 PM
...and why is it that most of these ghosts are asking for help? I mean, what kind of help could the living give the dead, anyway?

That sounds like it was taken right out of a movie. Anyways, common sense tells me their is no such thing as ghosts, but my overactive 13 year old imagination tells me otherwise. Half the time, all be upstairs, minding my own business, and I'll here my deceased grandfather's voice calling out to me. And one night, I woke suddenly and as I looked out into the hallway, I swear I saw something moving downstairs and into the garage. Next day, our circut breaker, which is in the garage, had something wrong with it and cause the power to go out in our house. Although I aknowledge that there could be ghosts, I doubt that some medium or whatever the article was talking about can go in and remove ghosts from your house. It all sounds like some ghostbusters or polterguist movie to me.

gdorf
10-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm just saying what harm is it to open ones mind to the posibillites that may exist, it a big wide world and we (as humans) know a million times more about the world now then we did say 1000 years ago, and what was once considered 'magic' is now 'science' only difference is we now have a system of mesurement and rules to go by. We changed an unknown into a known, so in the next 1000 years who knows, mabye we will have technology that can record or even alow us to speak with the dead...

That is the smartest thing I've read all day! You Should rely on your own experience to build your belief system and not on unclaimed proclimations from strangers. Just my personal opinion (and everyone has one) is there is no harm in bieng open minded, heck you may actually discover something you never thought could exist.

I wanted to debate with you (read: call you out). I really did. But I think you have a pretty reasonable viewpoint. And you managed to respond to all of our posts without sounding like a dick.

I am still a skeptic, but I am willing to admit that I understand where you're coming from.

Kudos. :)

Rijuhn
10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I will respond by quoting from the gospel of Luke of the New Testament, which sheds some light on evil spirits, and demons.

The following is the quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Healing of a Demon-possessed Man

26They sailed to the region of the Gerasenes,[b] which is across the lake from Galilee. 27When Jesus stepped ashore, he was met by a demon-possessed man from the town. For a long time this man had not worn clothes or lived in a house, but had lived in the tombs. 28When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torture me!" 29For Jesus had commanded the evil[c] spirit to come out of the man. Many times it had seized him, and though he was chained hand and foot and kept under guard, he had broken his chains and had been driven by the demon into solitary places.
30Jesus asked him, "What is your name?"

"Legion," he replied, because many demons had gone into him. 31And they begged him repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

32A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into them, and he gave them permission. 33When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and was drowned.

34When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, 35and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 36Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured. 37Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left.

38The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, 39"Return home and tell how much God has done for you." So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We see from the above that evil spirits, which are angels who rebeled against God in Heaven and were cast down to earth, are able to drive people mad, as well as drive animals mad. As for ghosts, and anything else supernatural, people tend to speak of detecting an evil presence, or having fear. Fear is not of God, nor is evil. So what people attribute to ghosts, and spirits, scripturally, are fallen angels that are doing their best to kill, steal, destroy, and torment humans because we have been made in the image of God.

I will say personally that if you ever feel a threatening evil presence, or see ssomething otherworldly that is frightening, pray in the name of Jesus Christ, having faith in his name, for the spirit to flee, and it will be so.

If anyone wants more information, feel free to PM me.

Russ
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
I think you are the first person to make a post that used real logic. Praying to Jesus to remove ghosts makes more sense then hiring a medium.

ShadowMancer
10-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Praying to Jesus to remove ghosts makes more sense then hiring a medium
I can agree with you on this point for one good reason:
You are personally responding to the issue at hand, and not hireing someone who may be a fraud out for your $
And that (should have been) my original point, not that there are some with greater gifts then others but that everyone has the ability to handle the unknown in their own personal way. That is what was missing from my point (thankyou) :)

The_Amaster
10-31-2007, 07:41 PM
*looks around* I...I am ashamed of all of you. I mean honestly, we have this great ghost related thread, and no one, not one person has said...

Who you gonna call!?

*gets shot*

Moocow, I'm wavering between telling you to either read or stay as far away as possible from a book called "Lost Boys".
As for wheather I believe in ghosts, well, I don't really think about it. Honestly. I've never had an encounter, and I've never seen any science. Until I either see proof that they exist or don't exist, I just kinda ignore them.

Skullkraken, where do you live?

Prrkitty
10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
I would like to thank pretty much all of you for keeping this thread civil. I like to think, when I post stuff, that I give us all something good/new/etc to chatter about.

:) thanks y'all :)

Aegix Drakan
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
>_> Personally, If I come face to face with a ghost, I will freak out, calm down, and ask it as civilly as possible: "what the F do you want with me?"
If it's hostile, I'm running to the nearest crowded area, and I'm calling the ghostbusters. If it's not, then I'm going to have a cup of tea with it and discuss philosophy.

...But either way, I'm probably gonna curl up under my covers like a frightened cat that night. :P

BTW: Moocow, I think my younger brother had a problem a bit similar to what your son's going through. He outgrew it after a little while.

Skulkraken
11-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Skullkraken, where do you live?

I live on an island in the Pacific called Guam, which is an unincorporated territory of the United States, like Puerto Rico. Picture Hawaii, but with more Asian influence, and you'll be pretty close to how Guam looks like.

Like I said, most people here take spirits *very* seriously. It's pretty much to be expected when a large amount of the population is descended from tribesmen who fought Spanish pirates using weapons made from human bone and held burials for the dead at the home of the dead person's family.

A lot of old stories still linger around here from those ancient times, like the story of Sirena the mermaid, the stories of the breadfruit tree and the flame tree, and the story of how a person's hair is able to exact revenge on its owner if it's treated improperly.