PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Challenger Approaching!

erm2003
10-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Out of all the character predictions for Brawl, I don't think anyone was anticipating this one.

King Dedede from the Kirby series has been announced as the latest newcomer to Brawl. I guess they really wanted to expand with the Kirby characters since two of the new ones are from that series.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/kingdedede.html

Warlock
10-25-2007, 09:05 AM
I totally anticipated him. I've been saying he should have been in since Melee. I just wasn't sure they would do more Kirby after bringing on Metaknight.

Aegix Drakan
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
DeDeDe's in? W00t!

That's pretty cool. I wonder if he has a special role in the SupSpace Oddessey....

I mean...It's DeDeDe!

ShadowTiger
10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
To anyone that's not really a Kirby Fan: Is this a big deal to you? I can see how Metaknight is the freaking bees' collective knees and all, but DeDeDe, ... eh, as long as he's the balancing force between Kirby's floatyness, Megaknight's "Sunglasses at night" attitude, and the missing heavyweight class, (BEING that missing heavyweight class.) It's all cool.

Imprisoned
10-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, I think it's cool, since the first two SSB games had only one char. from the Kirby series. Besides I think King D is cool.

Warlock
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
To anyone that's not really a Kirby Fan: Is this a big deal to you? I can see how Metaknight is the freaking bees' collective knees and all, but DeDeDe, ... eh, as long as he's the balancing force between Kirby's floatyness, Megaknight's "Sunglasses at night" attitude, and the missing heavyweight class, (BEING that missing heavyweight class.) It's all cool.

Is Diddy big news to anyone who isn't a Donkey Kong fan? I think every character (or at least every side character) is subjective :P

ShadowTiger
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Eh, when I see the moves list, I'm sure the attitude will change. :p Seeing people do cool things tends to cause inspiration.

I swear, if they put in an actual, honest-to-gosh pile of lint into Brawl, and it had an awesome moves list, I sure as hell wouldn't complain. Seeing as how I don't know anything about DeDeDe other than what I saw from him in Kirby Superstar, that's pretty much all I have to go by. It's not really a lot.

AlexMax
10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh boy, yet another thread about smash bros. brawl.

Warlock
10-25-2007, 11:15 AM

You can't contain the awesomeness that is Smash Bros. Brawl to one thread :)

MottZilla
10-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Consider the forum's large Nintendo fanbase and that shouldn't surprise you. Atleast SSB Brawl is shaping it well. I'd be interested in playing it, if the Wii would drop in price. If they'd make the damned Wii Sports optional/seperate the price would go down. The lucky japanese don't get stuck with it.

Warlock
10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Consider the forum's large Nintendo fanbase and that shouldn't surprise you. Atleast SSB Brawl is shaping it well. I'd be interested in playing it, if the Wii would drop in price. If they'd make the damned Wii Sports optional/seperate the price would go down. The lucky japanese don't get stuck with it.

It's only like $25 cheaper in Japan. And most people in Japan are buying Wii Sports at retail for more than that. America by far got the better deal here.

In any case, you're going to be waiting a LONG time for a price drop. The system is still selling out, and they are not going to drop the price while that is happening.

Edit: Also not sure how you can complain about price when you own TWO PSPs.

Din
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I predicted him too. Ice Climbers in but not Dedede? What's wrong with nintendo?

MottZilla
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Edit: Also not sure how you can complain about price when you own TWO PSPs.

I don't own 2 PSPs, I exchanged the original PSP for the new Slim model. I know a Wii price drop is something that could be a long way off, but either way I'm not paying that much for such old technology when I know better. :p

Pineconn
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Pineconn still awaits Banjo and Kazooie to be in it, but knows that their chances are slim to none.

Nevertheless, it's good to hear that they are expanding on their character lineup.

Warlock
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Pineconn still awaits Banjo and Kazooie to be in it, but knows that their chances are slim to none.

Nevertheless, it's good to hear that they are expanding on their character lineup.

1) Banjo and Kazooie sucks :P
2) Microsoft owns them :P

Dechipher
10-26-2007, 01:23 AM
I kind of thought about this a while back too. All you have to do is look at the trophy list and think "is this a major hero or villian?" and you're good to go. I wouldnt' be surprised to see K Rool in, although that's a lot of heavyweights and it'd be sweet if you could be one of the original koopa kids.

KJAZZ
10-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I had a feeling Dedede would be in, as either a playable character or as an assist trophy, at the very least. I'm very pleased to see that it's the former, being the Kirby fan that I am.

MasterSwordUltima
10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Brawl has quite a bit of hammers, doesn't it? Dedede, Kirby, Ice-Climbers, the item, and that new golden hammer from that ancient Mario game...

I'm actually interested in the video recording capabilities, and sending them to friends and such. Also pause menu photo booth.

Warlock
10-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Also pause menu photo booth.

I am just stoked you can save these to an SD card. Finally a game that doesn't require a fancy capture card to get screenshots on your PC :)

There is absolutely no way to get Metroid Prime 3 screenshots off the console which pissed me off. You can't even send them via an e-mail to yourself (it doesn't let you send pictures to e-mail addresses which is dumb) or move anything from the photo channel onto an SD card.

Modus Ponens
10-29-2007, 03:26 AM
Speaking of Super Smash Bros. is awesome, holy crap a stage editor and you can swap stages with your friends and submit them to Nintendo to be the stage of the day and there's a new fan-made stage that you download every day oh my God.

Breaker
10-29-2007, 04:47 AM
So the stage editor is the feature that was blurred out of those screenshots. Very cool.

ShadowTiger
10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I'm especially excited. ^-^ This is likely to be the thing that I'll play with every day.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/images/various10/various10_071029c-l.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/images/various10/various10_071029f-l.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/images/various10/various10_071029i-l.jpg

There's a startling lack of Final Destination in Brawl. I will certainly be reproducing that to the best of my ability.

Another stage Idea I had was something similar to it, but to add four FD Platforms in a diamond-pattern (A partially rotated square.) with a small platform in the middle, with the top platform having little square block at either end for you to hookshot and hang from off of the middle tiny platform. (Just for fun.) But yeah, it's like a super Battlefield.

I'd also love to build a halfpipe stage. Always wanted to try one of those.

I'm FAR FROM HAPPY about the "Remaining Pieces" bar at the top of the screen that I am not at all sure will actually be used as a limiter, (Reminiscent of TimeSplitters 2's Map Editor, which was very restricting. >.< ) but it's still going to be absolutely phenomenal. Look forward to being sent many a map from me on a weekly basis. All of you. (At least everyone that is interested. Subscribe to my newsletter lol!)

and that new golden hammer from that ancient Mario game...Now you've got me all curious. Was Donkey Kong in that game by any chance?

Warlock
10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Golden Hammer wasn't in any old games. You might be able to say it was in Paper Mario or something like that. I don't think it's a classic item though.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry *too* much about the piece limit. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 had one as well I think - and I don't think it was too bad. I think the idea is so, for example, you don't create a map that is entirely blocks or something. Maybe it's a lot of geometry to render all at once too depending on how much stuff you have on-screen (plus four fighters, items, etc)

Aegix Drakan
10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
...A...level...editor?

HOLYSHITTHATSFREAKINGAWESOME.

0_0 It's now official. This will be the best freaking game of all time.

AlexMax
10-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Sweet Zombie Jesus.

This came out of nowhere and I'm now a very happy camper.

I hope the piece limit isn't prohibitively small though. I remember there being one in Tony Hawk 2 and I always ran into it. These stages look a lot less complicated though, so that's a good thing.

KJAZZ
11-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Golden Hammer wasn't in any old games. You might be able to say it was in Paper Mario or something like that. I don't think it's a classic item though.

Heh. Actually, it's from Wrecking Crew. It's somewhat of a hidden secret, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjDPif27_9k

Unfortunately, it doesn't show off the hammer's ability to let you float in midair, but it can.

Warlock
11-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Heh. Actually, it's from Wrecking Crew. It's somewhat of a hidden secret, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjDPif27_9k

Unfortunately, it doesn't show off the hammer's ability to let you float in midair, but it can.

I doubt it's meant to be that hammer. I'm sure lots of games had golden hammers. It's probably just meant to be a generic upgrade from the normal hammer. I mean, the Beam Sword (*cough*Lightsabre*cough*) is not really from any games either :P

KJAZZ
11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmm. Well, I'm sure that's it's from Wrecking Crew. I guess the only way to tell for sure is when Brawl is actually released, and we view the trophy description for the Golden Hammer, eh?

Going back to the stage editor, something that I just starting wondering about, is how much space we'll have to work with. I doubt I'll be able to recreate the original Level 1-1 from SMB... but it would be nice if I could try. :D

There's a startling lack of Final Destination in Brawl. I will certainly be reproducing that to the best of my ability.
I really wouldn't be too worried. I'm positive that Final Destination will return. (Even with the Level Editor, a lack of Final Destination would make a certain... demographic of the players who play Smash very upset.) The site has already released information on quite a few "plain" stages, but I doubt they would profile a "Final" stage on the website until the game was out, if at all.

Warlock
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Going back to the stage editor, something that I just starting wondering about, is how much space we'll have to work with. I doubt I'll be able to recreate the original Level 1-1 from SMB... but it would be nice if I could try. :D

I more wonder how customizable it will be. Like, will we have lots of different floor textures to work with? I would hate for all the levels to be those ugly blocks like in the pictures.

I kind of wanted to do a level like the original Donkey Kong :D