PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

MottZilla
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/09/castlevaniaxboxart.jpg

Well the release date or ship date was Tuesday but it finally arrived in stores here today. I had to go to GameStop to get it, placse like BestBuy or CircuitCity have their set stocking days or something so they didn't have it and therefore they suck.

I haven't gotten to play it yet but I am excited I'll get to play it tonight and I have the TV-Out ready for it and all. So is anyone else picking up DXC (Dracula X Chronicles)? I highly recommend it since it's a remake of Rondo of Blood, plus the original I heard, and then ofcourse they include Castlevania SotN. All for 30$. It's a sweet deal I think. Plus I have to recommend everyone buy it, because if it does well it would open the door for future similar projects and possibly a PS2 port or something like that. I hope it does very well and we see a Castlevania 3 remake sometime. =)

Warlock
10-24-2007, 05:15 PM
I heard that the emulation of Dracula X (the classic version) and SotN is really terrible from a few places.

Anyways, I'd get this if I had a PSP, but I'm not going to buy a PSP just to get this :)

DarkDragoonX
10-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm picking it up. I wanted to pick it up on my lunch break (along with Mega Man ZX Advent: Ridiculously Convoluted Title Syndrome XVII), but the UPS guys hadn't arrived yet, so I'll have to wait until later.

And even if the emulation isn't that great in some places... a 2.5d remake of one of the best classic Castlevania games, an emulated version of the original, AND an emulated version of the first-and-still-definitive "castleroid" game... how could I pass up a deal like that? I'd shell out my thirty bucks just for the remake of Rondo, giving me the original and SotN too is just awesome, even if they have some minor emulation problems.

Mak-X
10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I really want to, its the added cost of a PSP holding me back at the moment, but I may cave soon. This is the one game I've been looking forward to, and played the heck out of Dracula X on the SNES. I've got the remake's new version of "Beginning" stuck in my head.

1up's review (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163895) mentions emulation problems. The review was by Jeremy Parish, who also bought and went through the original just before DXC was announced, but other people aren't noticing any issues, so they may be minor to most. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201732&page=10

MottZilla
10-24-2007, 11:11 PM
I've played it for a bit and its nice and fresh so far. There's no problem with the remake, I haven't unlocked SotN or the original Rondo of Blood yet. The main focus is the Rondo remake anyway, which is very nice. I think you're supposed to be able to unlock alternate music tracks and hopefully the original soundtrack then. It looks great on my LCD TV with video out from the PSP. =)

Update:

After further playing you sota notice changes from the original which are rather interesting and do add more too it. I managed to unlock the original Rondo of Blood on PCE, and SotN. I tried of the original RoB breifly and didn't notice any problems with emulation. I only played the first stage but I heard the voice samples and such and didn't notice anything strange really. But back to the remake, it's excellent. The graphics are nice, the music remixes are pretty good, you seem to be able to collect music tracks and then can customize which music is on what stage and hopefully that means you could use the original soundtrack. I mean the remixes aren't bad but the original was perfect as it was. Then there's SotN and the original, certainly a value pack, it's like 10$ per game. And they're all winners.

I would certainly recommend playing on the PSP Slim with TV out if you have a 480P TV, especially if yours zooms like mine does. When my LCD goes into zoom mode, the psp picture fits "almost" perfectly so I don't have huge borders all around the image.

The only flaw I've really noticed is that in SotN and RoB original is your wallpaper for the borders doesn't have the option of an all black/blank border. I think this is a huge oversight as I'm sure many of us would rather the unused space have the option of being blank. You only get 5 measly wallpapers to choose from.