PDA

View Full Version : Making Hero (Link) not able to go on land?

XutaWoo
10-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Okay, so I want to make a quest where link is a Zola (River Zora.)

So how do I make it so that he can't go on land?

Master Maniac
10-20-2007, 03:48 PM
go to quest-init.data and set it to where link starts with the flippers. then change a bunch of land combos (the ones you dont want link to walk on anyway). to change a combo, right click it and then there will be a screen with 3 boxes at the top and one under them. in the box on the top middle, it should be all gray if its a land tile. just click it until all 4 corners are pink and it will be un-walkable.

However you can't use items if you're in the water, so you could re-draw the (hero) tiles to make it look like it is constantly underwater. then re-draw land tiles [or edit the combos]. if you edit the combos, just change the water tiles from water type to <none> and it will look like the hero is always swimming, but you can still use items

Also what build[version] are you using? there may be more possibilities with some than others.

Joe123
10-22-2007, 05:04 AM
Do you understand how combos work?
because if you don't, first visit here: http://zcu.sephiroth.ws/forums/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=4

And then once you understand combos:
what you want to do is change all of your water combos to be walkable, so that Link (or mr Zola) can travel on them, and change all of your land combos to be unwalkable, so that Link cannot travel on them. That's about it really.
Walkability is controlled via the little pink squares in the combo editor. A full box of pink squares is completely unwalkable; empty box is walkable.

Gleeok
10-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Aaah but wait a minute here, this presents an interesting problem above and beyond what was assumed. Think about land enemies...you would need land combos walkable for those. You would also need many new enemy sprites for use in water to make it work. That would be one crazy quest.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
So, it's impossible the way I want it right now?

Figures. Guess I'll have to wait.

Joe123
10-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Not at all, you'll just have to be careful what enemies you want and all.
Just looks like Gleeok's trying to put you off or something :P

AmazingAmpharos
10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Just making the edges of the land unwalkable will be useful if you want shooting land enemies. Of course, the problem is that Link in water really doesn't have any way to fight so you would have to completely equip him with scripted stuff that doesn't care if you are swimming. Enemy selection among the non-scripted enemies is pretty much limited to Zoras, bosses, and flying enemies which you would probably quickly find very limiting. It's hardly impossible, but it's way more effort than it's worth.

Another, more feasible option, is to simply replace the land and water tiles with each other. That is, make land look like water and water look like land. Link will always be "walking on water" and able to fight with his full array of abilities (or whichever abilities you choose to give him I should say). You'll need to make many custom tiles so Link actually looks like a Zora and his weapons don't look awkward, but that's just time consuming and not technically daunting. Just be careful to not give Link the Flippers if you do this as that would make for some very awkward situations (on the other hand, making the "land" typeless unwalkable combos as though it were mountains and giving Flippers would allow you to have "deep water" in which Link would helplessly swim and could dive).

Basically, just play around with tile and combo editing until you understand the basics, and you'll see how a quest somewhat similar to this could work. If you're dead set on Link actually swimming for the whole quest, have fun learning scripting since standard swimming Link can only evade not fight. Unless that's exactly what you want the game to be (like exploring a dangerous maze with no weapons), it's just not going to work.

XutaWoo
10-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Unless that's exactly what you want the game to be (like exploring a dangerous maze with no weapons), it's just not going to work.

That can work until I learn scripting.

Joe123
10-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Are you planning on doing this with classic? Because I could and possibly might set up a tileset for you if you want. I'm not making any sprites though. But it would only take me a couple hours or so I think really.

LostInHyru1e
10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
XutaWoo - The idea sounds intriguing. However, at this point, it's way more trouble than its worth. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally would not find it very fun to play a quest where I'm a Zora and I can't leave water. And it's much harder to create in the first place. If you WERE to do it, then you could just make links NORMAL sprites swimming sprites, and switch the Water and Land tiles around and not give him flippers... but I still don't much like the sound of it. You'd be better off trying something different.

XutaWoo
10-26-2007, 06:20 PM
XutaWoo - The idea sounds intriguing. However, at this point, it's way more trouble than its worth. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally would not find it very fun to play a quest where I'm a Zora and I can't leave water. And it's much harder to create in the first place. If you WERE to do it, then you could just make links NORMAL sprites swimming sprites, and switch the Water and Land tiles around and not give him flippers... but I still don't much like the sound of it. You'd be better off trying something different.

1. If I got off my butt and sprited this (http://zeldawiki.org/images/3/3f/RiverZora.jpg) I might be able to make it go on land. :P

2. I can't make it dive that way.

Heh, this would be easier if we could make combos with "Link Blocking" flags (which the solid blocks only block Link) and change Link's water speed (through Init. Data or by changing the flipper's power) it would be a lot easier, so I only have to code the fireball attack.

Joe123
10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Both of those things could be done via scripting, and you could make a fireball attack via scripting I'm sure.

Gleeok
10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I believe this entire game can be made without any scripting whatsoever. It's only a matter of imagination.

What I might do is change all water combo's to "shallow water" and use the flippers as "lungs"...allows Link to crawl slowly on land(water combos).

Next i would swap "zora" enemy and leever type sprites. Zora's could look like scorpions coming out of the sand and shooting fireballs.(but they're actually zora's as enemy type.

No one should say it's impossible. It's not.

Joe123
10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd like to see you make a zora style fireball attack for Link without scripting Gleeok ;)

Gleeok
10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see you make a zora style fireball attack for Link without scripting Gleeok ;)

You mean like the bow and arrow with a fireball sprite....;)

LostInHyru1e
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't think it's impossible, I just think it's more trouble than its worth.

Joe123
10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
zora style fireball attack

The last time I saw Zoras they certainly weren't restricted to shooting in just a straight line infront of them ;)