PDA

View Full Version : How do I make strings appear only once?

Imprisoned
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah. Help is appreciated. Though I don't want multiple overworlds for this.

ShadowTiger
10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
In the earlier versions, (Or possibly later versions too.) Make sure your level number is greater than 0. (For overworlds, I'd recommend something higher than 100. No real reason, other than to reserve 1-8 for dungeons, and anything between that and 100 for dungeon-based events. Eh, it's really up to you, so long as it's not 0. :p ) and have the guy and string there. (That's assuming that you don't know how to make a string on an overworld, which you do.)

For those occasions in which you want them to appear only once, you might try making it an event. I'm not sure if it works or not, really, but it's worth a shot. Set off an event in that room.

Oh, there are also string modifiers in the betas. You can change the text of the strings via special string commands entered, and, depending on certain conditions, it can go to a blank string, I suppose.

LostInHyru1e
10-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I've been trying to figure this out as well. The only fool-proof method I can think of - the one I've been using - is making the string-sayer give you an item. Then, when you re-enter the cave, the item and the guy are both gone.

The_Amaster
10-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I guess if Shadow Tiger's method doesn't work, you could do some complex thing with a step-trigger in the cave/room/whatever, triggering a secret on the OW that is a new warp to an identical yet stringless house. (Although you need carry overs, so 2.5)

(Imprisoned, you've been here less than a year? Could have sworn it was longer)

Imprisoned
10-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Yea I don't think it's been even a year yet, even though I was gone getting a new computer a while ago... Maybe you thought so because I don't ask help that often, I like to figure things out myself. Thanks for the help.