PDA

View Full Version : Have we given up?

Freedom
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Have we given up on a stable beta?
Seems that progress has dropped off to about nothing after we were going so good here a few months ago.
Summer's over.

ShadowMancer
10-18-2007, 02:05 PM
It seems to me that DD is the leader of progress around here, ever since his comp has been down progress dropped to (almost) nothing (apearntaly) I mean he is the most visible around here, the other devs may be working on larger projects that take time to fix up but thats imposible to know. Hopefully things will pick up again soon.

*b*
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
They do have jobs, and college (I think) is in everywhere, so there's not much free time lately. It's not like they're being paid to do this

ShadowMancer
10-18-2007, 04:21 PM
It's not like they're being paid to do this Very true, sometimes you have the time, energy and the 'mojo' to work on a hobby project (like this) and sometimes life just has more important things in mind for you. Heck I have not worked on my quest really in a couple of weeks now.

Wolfman2000
10-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Given up? Somehow, I don't believe that. We are seeing semi-regular builds every few commits, so we can at least make sure each bug fix/feature works as intended.

Perhaps the 2.5 beta will come around the holiday season here?

Don't give up hope yet guys.

Russ
10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's a suggestion. Why don't we see if we can get a stable beat (not necesarily 2.5, but something stable) by Christmas. 2.5 was supposed to be released Christmas '06, so one extra year seems enough. Plus, the amount of bugs in each alpha build is rapidly decreasing, so we know it's making progress.

ShadowTiger
10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
At this rate, it's mostly bugs that just haven't been fixed or looked into yet, rather than bugs that are being discovered daily. So long as the newly discovered bugs are slowing down in appearance, progress is far from awful. It's encouraging, at the least.

Now to get more people who understand ZC's code and have more time on their hands to actually fix these bugs. I'm sure there's no objection to just working with what manpower we've got though, right? :p 'got nothing to pay ya all but respect and honor.

DarkDragon
10-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, a very light workload last summer allowed me to get in a furious burst of ZC development. (Similar to summer '06 which resulted in ZScript.) Now I've got both classes and research leaving me with less spare time in general, and that time has to be split between ZC development and upkeep of the AGN web presence. So yeah, as much as I'd love to ship out 2.5 as soon as possible, I can't commit as much time to the project now as I could before. Sorry :(

A stable b18 by Christmas (meaning all but a few "thorny" existing bugs fixed, and very few new bug reports) may be reasonable, depending on how many more new features get snuck in between now and then.

C-Dawg
10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah, a very light workload last summer allowed me to get in a furious burst of ZC development. (Similar to summer '06 which resulted in ZScript.) Now I've got both classes and research leaving me with less spare time in general, and that time has to be split between ZC development and upkeep of the AGN web presence. So yeah, as much as I'd love to ship out 2.5 as soon as possible, I can't commit as much time to the project now as I could before. Sorry :(

A stable b18 by Christmas (meaning all but a few "thorny" existing bugs fixed, and very few new bug reports) may be reasonable, depending on how many more new features get snuck in between now and then.

You gave us scripting. New features are now OUR department.

Dark Nation
10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
"New features", I think, refers to bug fixes that result in additional options for the quest designer.

Takuya
10-22-2007, 01:55 PM
I have been busy with life, as well. I am going to work on an OS X Leopard build as soon as I install it, and yes, I have been bugfixing, but college demands attention too! We shall work hard for a stable beta, I promise you that.

jman2050
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Have we given up on a stable beta?
Seems that progress has dropped off to about nothing after we were going so good here a few months ago.
Summer's over.

I guess someone has to pick up the slack during the downtime. I wonder who that person could be...

Anarchy_Balsac
10-23-2007, 01:53 AM
I'd volunteer, but I don't know enough C++ to be worth a damn. I do have to take 1 or 2 C++ classes and can always offer my services then if they're needed.