PDA

View Full Version : Okami for Wii Announced

Warlock
10-18-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85578

yay

Brasel
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I knew I never picked it up for PS2 for a reason. I'd been meaning to play it, but now I'll just wait til I get back from Iraq and play it on Wii.

Cloral
10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I just want to know a few things:

1) What are the fighting motion controls going to be? They'd better not just be a bunch of remote waggling like fighting as Wolf Link was.
2) Are there going to be any other improvements/changes to the game? I can think of a couple dungeons that completely sucked in the original and could really use some reworking.

That said, the PS2 game was completely worth playing and so anyone who didn't get that should pick it up on the Wii when it comes out.

Icey
10-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Ah, crap. I just bought this for the PS2 a month ago. Oh well, if there are any substantial differences in the Wii version I might pick it up *shrugs*

Matteo
10-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I got rid of my PS2 a year and a half ago, so I'm excited about this, never played it, always wanted to. Also might check out Bully as well, if we are on the topic of remakes/ports.

AtmaWeapon
10-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Okami is not a game, it is a work of art. I am quite pleased with this announcement.

vegeta1215
10-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I tell ya Warlock, you're like reading my mind today. First Project Exile, now Okami.

The minute I saw the paintbrush feature of Okami I thought, "that would be perfect for the Wii". After hearing about Capcom's closing of Clover Studios my hopes of a Wii port were diminished... but now we get this great news! Add another game to my list!

Aegix Drakan
10-18-2007, 09:48 PM
NICE!!

I've heard so many goo dthings about this game, and I played a demo of the PS2 game (was quite impressed too), so I'm excited too.

Now...If my math is correct...that makes this the 5th game that I'm buying a Wii for.

:P I'm gonna be broke if this list keeps increasing...

AtmaWeapon
10-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Wait a minute...

Is Clover going to have anything to do with this? If not I'm debating boycotting it. The reason Capcom cut this excellent team off is because their games were not selling like Capcom wanted (read: there was no way to generate 8 sequels and it was original). Now, suddenly there's a profit potential?

Boo Capcom. Boo.

Warlock
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Wait a minute...

Is Clover going to have anything to do with this? If not I'm debating boycotting it. The reason Capcom cut this excellent team off is because their games were not selling like Capcom wanted (read: there was no way to generate 8 sequels and it was original). Now, suddenly there's a profit potential?

Boo Capcom. Boo.

If it sells well, then Capcom will know they screwed up :P I don't think the PS2 version did so well, probably partially due to the console's main audience and partially due to it being too close to the end of the lifespan.

AtmaWeapon
10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
All I'm saying is if they don't reform Clover it's kind of like they went: "Sorry guys you aren't profitable we're going to have to cut you loose" *makes a ton of money porting the game to the Wii*

Warlock
10-19-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163802

As revealed yesterday, Capcom officially announced a port of Okami for the Wii at its Gamers Day event in London this week. However, what didn't leak ahead of the embargo is that Ready at Dawn, developer of Daxter and the forthcoming God of War: Chains of Olympus for PSP, is behind the Wii port. No footage of the Wii version was shown at the event, nor did Capcom discuss hard details on how the game will utilize the Wii Remote (aside from "physical movements" for attacks and using the pointer for the Celestial Brush).

Following the announcement, Christian Svensson, senior director of research and strategic planning at Capcom, related to us the story of how the noted American developer landed the gig of bringing last year's strikingly beautiful PlayStation 2 action RPG to the Wii. Earlier this year, Capcom had been seeking a developer to bring Okami to the Wii to reach a wider audience, as the PS2 release suffered from shipping amidst the flurry of next-generation consoles. During a chance encounter at the Game Developers Conference in March, the higher-ups at Ready at Dawn expressed their admiration of the title to Svensson, prompting an offer from Capcom within a week.

Whether Okami for Wii will feature additional or expanded content is undecided at this point. Svensson says that Ready at Dawn has been working on the port with little assistance from the original development team, and as such, transferring the original content within a reasonable timeframe takes precedence. However, should Ready at Dawn complete its primary work ahead of the game's expected release in the first half of 2008, it's entirely possible that we'll see a more robust version of Amaterasu's adventure on the Wii.

KJAZZ
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
A port, huh? Unless there are some big additions to the game, I doubt I'll pick it up. That being said, I absolutely loved Okami, but not enough to buy the same game twice.

At least it's excellent news for people who never played the PS2 version.

ShadowTiger
10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
It'll be my first time. (Yay, Okami Virgins! Insert jokes here!) Played it a bit at a friend's house, and did rather enjoy the .. well, .. .. the everything. Didn't really understand what was happening, but I loved the controls enough to continue my interesting. I'm one of those people that is heavily influenced by the game engine and the controls. Games with awful controls but a wonderful plot were nearly intolerable. The precise opposite was true for me as well. Thankfully, I've heard grand things about Okami from said friend, and I am fully expecting it to be well worth the $54.29 something I'll be spending on it, after tax and all.

Too bad I'll be too busy playing Brawl to even think about getting it. Oh quite really.

Warlock
10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
It'll be my first time. (Yay, Okami Virgins! Insert jokes here!) Played it a bit at a friend's house, and did rather enjoy the .. well, .. .. the everything. Didn't really understand what was happening, but I loved the controls enough to continue my interesting. I'm one of those people that is heavily influenced by the game engine and the controls. Games with awful controls but a wonderful plot were nearly intolerable. The precise opposite was true for me as well. Thankfully, I've heard grand things about Okami from said friend, and I am fully expecting it to be well worth the $54.29 something I'll be spending on it, after tax and all.

Too bad I'll be too busy playing Brawl to even think about getting it. Oh quite really.

RE4 for Wii was only like $35. I have a feeling Capcom may release it at a reduced cost.

Then again, RE4 was also on GC which could completely be played on a Wii already :P So who knows.

AtmaWeapon
10-19-2007, 09:40 PM
If they do anything other than a straight port I will be so angry I want Clover back :(

mrz84
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I've only played a PS2 demo and from what I played I wanted to play it but never had the time to. I might pick it up sometime in the near future, but until then I will be patient and finish the other games I have right now and there are a lot of them.