PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's about time, I guess...

Dechipher
10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I am a composition student at Oklahoma City University. I've had several pieces performed, and I'd like to share one with you.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=107664736&MyToken=956c0cc3-2b96-45f5-938a-0371333abfec
is our myspace profile. My piece is "Insights into Transience"

This isn't music like VGMusic, and htis isn't movie music. This is art music, so it's different that what most of you are used to, which is fine.

My piece, Insights into Transience, is about the transition from Fall to Winter. The trumpet represents Autumn, the piano Winter. The snippet on the myspace is the third movement.

The other pieces are worth checking out as well. I played Vibes on Till Brooklyn, which I think is and amazingly awesome piece.

If anyone is interested, I can post the full version of my piece, as well as maybe some other pieces of mine.

Thanks,
James

Darth Marsden
10-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Well, that was interesting. I listened to Til' Brooklin (the apostrophe is in the wrong place - it shoul'd be 'til, since it's an abbreviation of the word Until), and I have to say it's not bad at all. Not my type of music, but there's definately some talent on show there. Which instrument were/are you?

EDIT: Never mind, you've just answered my question. Which leads to my next one - what exactly are Vibes?

Dechipher
10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraphone

The instrumentatino for 'Til Brooklyn was Piano, Vibraphone, Clarinet in Bb, and Bass Clarinet in Bb. The composer was playing the piano. It's the first in a series he's doing with a painter at OCU. This one I think is a guy laying awake in bed next to his girl, and he can't sleep.

Pineconn
10-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Honestly, I've never heard anything like this. I'm in my school symphonic band, so I'm used to your regular brass section, woodwind section, and percussion section; nothing more, nothing less. Y'know, these big, full, awesome sounds. It's interesting to hear piano with a few "regular" concert instruments. Not bad-interesting, but instead good-interesting.

But I must admit, though it's the first of its kind I've ever heard, it's some pretty quality stuff.