PDA

View Full Version : Updated Wii Internet Channel! (USB Keyboards!)

ShadowTiger
10-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Pretty damn cool. Been waiting for this for a while. It's certainly no laptop browsing, but when everyone else in the family insists on having a computer of their own even when they're public use, you may as well stick to what works for browsing the internet.

Internet Channel Enhancements

The Internet Channel has been improved! The latest version of the of the Wii's Opera Browser has a number of enhancements that we think you'll like.

The Internet Channel update is available from the Wii Ware section of the Wii Shop Channel. The update is free for those who already have the Internet Channel on their Wii consoles. New users can get the updated Internet Channel for 500 Wii points.

USB Keyboard Support
Surfing the web with the Wii console just got a lot easier. Simply download the updated Internet Channel and connect a USB keyboard into a USB port on the console. You'll now be able to type your emails, input URLs and much more using a USB keyboard. Please note that we do not currently have a list of compatible USB keyboards; however, most brands are likely to be compatible. You can expect a faster, more stable connection with the updated Internet Channel. In addition, security has also been improved.
*The Classic Keyboard 200, manufactured and sold by Logitech, is compatible with Nintendo's Wii console and most other standard USB keyboards should be compatible.

B Button Now a “Shift” Button
During text input using the Wii Remote, the B Button can be pressed to activate the “Shift” function of the onscreen keyboard. This can make inputting capitalized letters or special characters easier while typing.

Highlight Text for a Quick Search
Specific text on the page can now be highlighted with the Wii Remote. Once highlighted, click the "Search" to populate the search field with that text. This will save you the time from having to type that text in the search field.

URL Editing
It is now possible to edit the web address (URL) of the page currently being viewed on the Internet Channel. This can be especially helpful if the URL was entered incorrectly, and needs only a quick correction. No more having to retype an entire URL!

“Page Information” Enhancements
The “Page Information” icon will be visible on all pages while browsing, even if the tool bar is hidden. In addition, "Page Information" has been enhanced to provide you a description of the page's security level; a “Send“ button is available to send the page to a friend; a “www” button is provided to edit the current URL and browse to a new page.

Display Enhancements
The way the Internet Channel can display a page has been enhanced. You now have the ability to make the browser ignore white space from the top and bottom of the screen, and the "Zoom" feature will alert you when an image is at its native size. Some other graphical changes have been made to the browser (new scroll bars, changed colors, etc.).

More Favorites (and You Can Send Them to a Friend!)
The maximum number of Favorites you can save has been increased from 48 to 56. In addition, you can now send your Favorites to other Wii friends using WiiConnect24.

Stability, Speed, and Security Enhanced
You can expect a faster, more stable connection with the updated Internet Channel. In addition, security has also been improved.

I've definitely noticed all of these changes during last night's browsing session. They did rearrange all my favorites by putting the default four favorites (Yahoo, Google, Nintendo, and Opera, I believe.) in the beginning of the list, but otherwise, things were just peachy. They didn't touch my cookies, I believe. The new search feature was a little weird though, in that I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. You can indeed highlight text now as you would with a cursor, but when you click the search button in the toolbar, the highlighted expression didn't show up in there. Whatever.

erm2003
10-14-2007, 11:14 AM
The search feature worked for me. After highlighting a couple words, I went down to the Wii menu on the page and pressed the search button down there (not any button on the web page itself). When the text window popped up the words I highlighted were already in the box.

AlexMax
10-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Do I get this update automatically by updating my Wii, or do you have to redownload it from the Store?

erm2003
10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
You have to redownload it from the store. Don't delete it from your Wii though. Just go into the Wii Ware section of the store and you will see both the Internet and Everybody Votes channels have update labeled on them. You can just click on them and do the updates from there.

vegeta1215
10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Do I get this update automatically by updating my Wii, or do you have to redownload it from the Store?

You have to redownload it from the store. Go to your purchased titles list, and it will say "Update" above the Internet Browser. (it's free of course) Also, it won't take up anymore memory blocks than it already does, despite what it says during the download.

MasterSwordUltima
10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Whats the difference with the Everybody Votes Channel? Although its really low on the things to do list, Sute and I check it atleast once a week.

Also, about freakin' time you can use a keyboard with the internet channel. Makes AIMonPSP.com so much easier [which I use on the Internet Channel for AIM, usually when I have torrents downloading, it works pretty nice]. B for shift almost seems like a pointless addition, now that you can just use a keyboard. But I guess if I'm feeling lazy, thats nice too. I'll download it tommorrow, when I check out the new VC Games.

erm2003
10-14-2007, 09:38 PM
...and the Everybody Votes Channel was updated to provide improved efficiency and an improved display for the National Results by Region.
http://wii.nintendo.com/wii_faq_other.jsp#q7

I haven't really noticed the difference, but that is what the update was for.

Modus Ponens
10-15-2007, 01:09 AM
UGH. What they really need to do is make it so that the B button effing backspaces in text entry fields. Let something else be shift.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE! I'm just saying.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I think that <LEFT> on the directional pad on the Wiimote is backspace, and <RIGHT> is space. At least now it is. :shrug: It might work sometimes and might not in others. It's weird in its relative inconsistency.

Modus Ponens
10-15-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought the d-pad just moved the cursor around.

ShadowTiger
10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
... ... Now I'm getting seriously confused. I suppose it depends on the cursor's "focus." It can either be focused within the text field itself, or within the scope of the buttons. I'm not sure. Let's both try and confirm it tonight.