PDA

View Full Version : Perrin Kaplan Wii Interview

Warlock
10-12-2007, 08:47 PM
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-perri.html

Ugg, they ask her about drive space and she totally brushes it off as no big deal. Yes, it is a big deal Perrin. It takes friggin' forever to delete crap. And I'm completely full - I couldn't even download the Internet Channel update because I ran out of space... I deleted three games (and not small NES games, TGFX16 and Genesis which are semi-decent sized) and STILL couldn't download it.

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 09:13 PM
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-perri.html

Ugg, they ask her about drive space and she totally brushes it off as no big deal. Yes, it is a big deal Perrin. It takes friggin' forever to delete crap. And I'm completely full - I couldn't even download the Internet Channel update because I ran out of space... I deleted three games (and not small NES games, TGFX16 and Genesis which are semi-decent sized) and STILL couldn't download it.HAHAH..sounds like the problem I had,and don't they have space updates for the wii?? if so I whould guess it not to be that costly?

MasterSwordUltima
10-12-2007, 09:39 PM
You make it sound like you can download physical memory, GamerMan. If only...

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 09:54 PM
You make it sound like you can download physical memory, GamerMan. If only...That whould be the case,or at least something close to disk debug,to compact the files more and give you some more space,that whould be easy to use ,but like you stated:if only.....

DarkDragoonX
10-13-2007, 01:30 AM
That whould be the case,or at least something close to disk debug,to compact the files more and give you some more space,that whould be easy to use ,but like you stated:if only.....

WHAT?

Pineconn
10-13-2007, 02:14 AM
(I think he means defrag.)

And it doesn't work like that, exactly.

MottZilla
10-13-2007, 03:00 AM
PK is a spokes bitch, what do you expect her to say? It's not like she has a fucking clue. Someone programs her with answers and sends her out. Everyone knows the inability to directly use SD memory is horrifying. NeoGeo titles can weigh as much as 90MB. None of those titles are here yet, but someday.

Not to mention, who the fuck are they to tell you not to be a pack rat and keep all your games on the console at once? Isn't that the whole point? Everything in one system.

AtmaWeapon
10-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Nintendo is exceptionally good at software innovation, but does anyone else get the feeling that they are scared and confused by any non-controller hardware? Seriously, what's the SD slot for if it can't be used for storing things?

rock_nog
10-13-2007, 02:42 PM
The real issue is that Nintendo is terrified of anything to do with online. This whole fiasco with storage space is a byproduct of that, I suspect (because they wouldn't have needed to consider storage space like this if they hadn't decided to venture into the online world).

On the one hand, it's painfully obvious that online is the wave of the future (or present, really), and Nintendo doesn't want to look stupid by not getting in on the action. On the other hand, their reputation as a kid-friendly company is on the line here, because all you need is one horror story to ruin Nintendo's reputation. So they just approach the whole thing haphazardly, not really thinking things through, and being so focused on how to maintain their kid-friendly image while going online that they neglect details like this.

At least that's my theory. I dunno what the real deal is, but I do think that online issues are the source of a lot of the troubles that Nintendo is having right now.

The_Amaster
10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Ass bizzare as my idea sounds, GamerMan's post got me thinking. You can't "download" memory, but you can do the reverse, like, say, an online storage server? You could technically store as much as you wanted, and just download one program/game at a time. All you'd really have to worry about would be download times, but surely they could devote some energy to a really streamlined process.

vegeta1215
10-13-2007, 04:27 PM
It is nice that you can re-download anything you buy from the Shop Channel, but to me the storage issue is mainly a problem for developers who want to add extra content to games. I still think at some point Nintendo will put out an external hard drive, but we'll see.

AtmaWeapon
10-13-2007, 04:53 PM
The only thing that keeps me away from getting back into Animal Crossing is the tedium. It is really fun for about 2 or 3 months, when all the content is new and your townspeople are constantly surprising you. Some of the text is seasonal, but for the first year 90% of the game is played on autopilot because after the first four or five words of a sentence you know what the rest of the dialog will be. Yet you must talk to these people daily to keep a satisfactory town running.

After the first year, there's not much reason to keep playing unless you just really like the game; you've seen all the content and there's really nothing left to do but collect things. It would be so much better if every few months, you could download a new content patch, such that the dialog from your townspeople in Spring 07 would be guaranteed to be unique compared to the dialog from Spring 08. With SD cards for the storage, this would be perfect.

I agree that Nintendo's problem seems to be twofold: they are uncertain how to integrate online content into their strategy and they are obsessively terrified of their "family-friendly" label. If AC content were stored on SD cards, people could conceivably crack the format and input whatever they pleased into the content, including foul language and sexual situations. Additionally, since obviously some manner of scripted events would have to be included, people could use this system to cheat their way to whatever item they wanted.

Similar things happened when they opened AC:WW to WiFi play; people are able to hack their maps and it's actually possible to break someone else's town if they aren't paying attention. I think the problem is Nintendo is worried they will be held responsible for stuff like this, and honestly while common sense suggests that they wouldn't be, the legal climate makes this assumption kind of dangerous.

Maybe they'll learn to open up, but for now I think the internet is the edge of the world that Nintendo is afraid to sail over.