PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing something wrong?

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 08:00 PM
At the start of my quest (I have Build 626 I think), there is a cave like in LOZ that has a person that gives you a weapon. But whenever I go into the cave, it goes to the item cave with bats, grey pallette, and the item in 0,0.
No Guy or Message.

Here's what I did:
I put a enterance to the cave.
I make the map I put the entrance in a Special Item room and set-up the Guy, Special Item, and String.
I test it.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Sound like your overworld may be under (nes dungeon) change it to overworld
and what tileset are you using?also did you put a cave at the very bottom left hand corner of your overworld map in zc quest editor?

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
It is Overworld.

And I'm using the defualt tileset.

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Then go to quest editor, view the overwold map and see if there is a cave at the bottom left corner,and if there is it should work fine.

Pheonix
10-11-2007, 08:36 PM
On the screen flags screen where you edit the DMaps, make sure you check the "Use caves instead of Item Cellars" and "Special Rooms and Guys are in caves only" boxes. And it doesn't matter whether or not the type is Overworld.

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
On the screen flags screen where you edit the DMaps, make sure you check the "Use caves instead of Item Cellars" and "Special Rooms and Guys are in caves only" boxes. And it doesn't matter whether or not the type is Overworld.Yeah,it does matter,on a dungeon map the item celler/caves have keese in them the overwold doesnot;)Overworld and dungeon have many diffrents and it can be the diffrents between altering the tiles/setup and etc.

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks.

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks.Did this solve your problem?

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Yes.

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok buddy if you have any more problems i'll be on for a few more hours

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Okay, I need to know another thing.

How do you make a ladder room? (the ones where you go down ladders to get an item.

And do you need a ladder to use those, or what are those for?

erm2003
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
A lot of the questions you are asking could really be answered if you flip through Alphadawg's Tutorial. Click the link below and it will guide you through a lot of the basic things you should know when starting to use ZC.

www.ermock.com/zctutorial

XutaWoo
10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
A lot of the questions you are asking could really be answered if you flip through Alphadawg's Tutorial. Click the link below and it will guide you through a lot of the basic things you should know when starting to use ZC.

www.ermock.com/zctutorial

Thanks alot! This'll deffinantly help me!

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Okay, I need to know another thing.

How do you make a ladder room? (the ones where you go down ladders to get an item.

And do you need a ladder to use those, or what are those for?You need to first set the ladder combo'd tiles were you want them then go to screen data and choose (use ladder)and that will about do it:)

erm2003
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
^^ That's not what he was talking about. He wants to know how to set up a tile warp to go to an item room in a dungeon. There is a page on that in the tutorial.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Okay, one more question:

In the version I have, what's the use for the blank item types? (the z###s)

Can you define your own, or is it set out for a newer version?

Pheonix
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Do you mean in the item list, or when you choose what type of item the item is? For the first, they are usable now in the current builds. For the second, I don't think they are implemented yet.

I'm not too sure, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm talking about the second.

I was wondering because I want to have a sword-like item, execpt it only stabs and it doesn't replace your sword.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Okay, I need help again.

1. I made (or rather copied and edited) custom sprites for Link and put them on an empty page. I assign the sprites to the Link Sprites window. Now Link looks like the dungeon entrance tiles instead of what I assigned him. (I'm using BS Zelda animation so I can have back sprites that aren't flipped, plus Z3-styled movement.)

2. Link doesn't start where I tell him to. (Unless the green doesn't show where Link starts, but isn't it?)

ShadowMancer
10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
the z### items are useable and fully working (as far as I know all the z124+ glitches were fixed) So go ahead an make custom items with em. The type of item (item class) z### work as well but unless you use an item script any item with a z### class will not do anything (sort of like non-gameplay item)

I want to have a sword-like item, execpt it only stabs and it doesn't replace your sword. This is possible, there are 2 ways I can think of to accomplish this at the moment:
1 (the easy way): Edit the wand to use for this sword (of course you will lose the wand)
2 (the SM way): Write a script! If you want it this way I could write a script up for you.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
ShadowMancer: I'd love that.

Also, my new questions are for a new quest I'm playing with.

ShadowMancer
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
1. I made (or rather copied and edited) custom sprites for Link .....
A question on this, does Link look the same in the Link sprite chooser and in the actual game. Sometimes Link's sprite looks wrong in ZQ but right in ZC, other than that Im not sure what our problem is.

2. Link doesn't start where I tell him to. (Unless the green doesn't show where Link starts, but isn't it?)
Do you mean Link does not start on the right screen, or the right position on the screen?
Starting screen:
Quest->DMap->[Edit] set the screen number in screen box, check continue here
Starting corodinates:
Just set the green square where you want Link to start.

I'm gonna work on that script right now, should be ready soon.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
1. It looks like it should in ZQ, but not in ZC. In ZC, he looks like Dungeon entrance parts.

2. Heh, I forgot that.

Another question: how do you start scripting (or put scripts into quest), and is there a scripting tutorial?

ShadowMancer
10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Scripting tuts:
not a bad place to start
http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25946
some more info here
http://zcu.sephiroth.ws/forums/index.php?autocom=ineo&showcat=6
Also read through the Scripting forum there is lots of good info there, mostly in ZScript General Discussion/Help. also Script Requests and Showcase have many finished working scripts you can try to 'disect' and understand. If you know C/C++ at all you can do ZScript, it is very similar. As for setting up scripts for use.. ugh let me find one of my old posts and I'll copy/paste it for you (I must put that info up on the Wiki)

1. It looks like it should in ZQ, but not in ZC. In ZC, he looks like Dungeon entrance parts.
That is odd, the only other thing I can think of is if you gave Link an Item with a 'Link Tile modifier' set up. if not idunno.

XutaWoo
10-17-2007, 11:15 PM
That is odd, the only other thing I can think of is if you gave Link an Item with a 'Link Tile modifier' set up. if not idunno.

DO'H.

ShadowMancer
10-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I take it that is what you did? :)

btw, I will most likely get a chance to finnish that weapon script for you tonight, got about 1/2 of it done.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Okay, something's wrong.

In my new dungeon (it shares the same map but has a different DMap):

1. Link appears over the door tops.
2. When he enters, he doesn't "walk in" and instead just appears.

I made it the same way I did my first dungeon, which works, and I double checked that I did.

What could I possibly done wrong?

erm2003
10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
For problem #1, did you place the doors using the door menu or did you do it manually? If you are using the menu to select the doors then it should be working fine. Make sure your dmap is set to the dungeon type and it should be ok. If you are trying to do it manually, the combos have to be set as overhead combos.

The second issue can be fixed if you place the green square as far into the doorway as possible. If he is entering from the south, put it as far down as it goes right in the center of the door. He will then walk up into the room when you enter.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
The second thing caused Link to exit as soon as he entered.

And I did it with the menu.

erm2003
10-22-2007, 09:08 PM
If you exited then you still don't have it down far enough. Keep on moving the green square as far down as it goes and make sure the warps are set as entrance/exit.

Do you have the freeform dungeons rule checked or unchecked? That could be causing some door issues.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I have it unchecked.

Also, how do I make the ladder tiles act like ladders?

The_Amaster
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
In what sense? Ladder tiles are those that the ladder item can cross over. On the other hand, if you want like stairs, use the slow-walk property.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I mean like the ladders in the side-scroller parts, except it works with gravity on.

Also, it's odd, the door only messes up on the side doors of one room, otherwise they all work fine. Weird

The_Amaster
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
*laughs sheepishly* He he, yeah, about that...

It's not...it's not *coughs* implementedyet.

XutaWoo
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM

Wait, why's the gravity thing implented if it isn't?

The_Amaster
10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Well, they were being worked on, but then the feature freeze came, and they never ended up being finished. Actually, this is one feature that I'd like to see, if only because it's integral to the gravity.

Gleeok
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I thought it was being added to 2.5 since it's not really a new feature, but a necessary attachment of an existing feature.

I could be wrong though.

The_Amaster
10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
(Gleeok, did you just change your avatar again?)

Yeah, I thought so too, along with signposts, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Gleeok
10-23-2007, 12:11 AM
(Gleeok, did you just change your avatar again?)

That's pretty funny coming from you. ;p