PDA

View Full Version : Beam me up: Just how close are we to teleportation?

Prrkitty
10-11-2007, 02:19 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/10/human.teleportation/index.html

Seems we might be closer to teleportation then anyone imagined. At the moment it's only "quantum teleportation"... but still it's one step closer to being able to teleport like we see in Star Trek shows.

Maybe we'll see object teleportation in my lifetime. :) That would be SO cool!

Aegix Drakan
10-11-2007, 02:45 PM
:o

No thanks. I'll take the smelly armpit guy on the bus over being "copied" across distances, with the possibility of "corruption".

>_> I want to get somewhere, not copy myself somewhere, and risk not bein me when I get there...

Orn
10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
To call it teleporting... you would have to destroy the original...
Its actually more like cloning, and one that make a proper copy with an adult body, full memories, scars ect.

Darth Marsden
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
If this becomes a reality, then that means that Star Trek is no longer canon... and that's just wrong.

GamerMan
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
That whould be wierd, crime, and everything as we know it whould change,the world whould be in constent jeperdy:eek:..but it might be cool:)

The_Amaster
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I dunno. It's really hard. I know the general specifics (i.e the details, but not the equations), and you need to know the spin and properties of every particle in the object. And the process itself isn't actually straightforward. Because you can't measure something without modifying it, you have to use kind of a "proxy" particle, and that means that all three (the teleportee, the proxy, and the resultant) have to be entangled. Unless I'm wrong, the only way to entangle two particles it at their moment of origin (well, not origin, conservation of matter and all that, but close enough) and so I'm not sure how you'd entangle particles already in a physical form. Not easy.

AtmaWeapon
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Presuming we are close to human teleportation due to the ability to transfer properties between particles and atoms is kind of a leap. We're about as close to human teleportation as we are to a definitive answer to the creation of the universe, in my opinion.

Nicholas Steel
10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
To call it teleporting... you would have to destroy the original...
Its actually more like cloning, and one that make a proper copy with an adult body, full memories, scars ect.

it can't be a clone... a clone starts at the age of 0...

MasterSwordUltima
10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
The scary part about teleportation is how the transporting is handled. If you scan my body, turn me into nothing but atoms and send me across the room, then recompile me PERFECTLY, yeah, thats cool. But if you just have a mass of human atoms, and use them to replicate me somewhere else, killing me here...no thanks.

Although if we were to do both, then there would be two of me. [why does this remind me of the third Resident Evil movie?]

Dechipher
10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
It's actually more like the 6th day from what I understand. You die, but your DNA remains and a clone is created elsewhere.

MasterSwordUltima
10-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, so its alright for everyone else, just not for you.

They should look into Megaman-esque teleporting. Where you turn into a couple of lines and shoot into the air [even through matter].

Darth Marsden
10-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but no matter where you try to go, you'd end up right on the outskirts of the city and you'd have to fight your way through all sorts of bad guys just to get to your final destination. http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/mm/mm1/freeman.gif

Aegix Drakan
10-15-2007, 10:42 AM
And I'm with MSU. I'm sorry, but...I want to teleport, not send a clone somewhere, while I get deleted. Oh, and Megaman style teleportation would be great but...

Yeah, but no matter where you try to go, you'd end up right on the outskirts of the city and you'd have to fight your way through all sorts of bad guys just to get to your final destination. http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/mm/mm1/freeman.gif

ROFL. Nice one DM.

Dark Nation
10-15-2007, 04:01 PM
VGCats has a similar take on the subject:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=161

Darth Marsden
10-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, duh. Where'd ya think I got it from in the first place? Honestly... you people think I'm actually capable of being original? Yeah, right.

Honestly, I highly doubt we'll be capable of creating a genuine working teleport in our lifetimes. Any surely the scientists have to work out how to make flying cars before we get anywhere near that sort of thing... surely?

Modus Ponens
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
VGCats has a similar take on the subject:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=161

VGCats is both hilarious and with an absolutely irresistible art style.

As for teleportation, yeah, it seems that if a person were to teleport, there's no reason to assume that they would survive the process, even if it seemed that way to an outside observer. I wouldn't go through it unless I were on death row, dying of cancer, or over 100 years old (or some combination of the three).