PDA

View Full Version : Music Control?

ShadowTiger
10-11-2007, 10:35 AM
A little while ago I found a video with some music that I realized would fit a final boss I was planning on doing absolutely perfectly, word for word, note for note, theme for theme, mood for mood. (It's the first theme played - "Bombshell" by Powerman5000. (Arsenal - A Samus Combo Video Starring Aniki (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CaH-mjPYSwc)) (<3 that video.)

I have it all planned out. The scripts, the dialog, the maps, ... pretty much everything. (It's a Fallout 2 end Boss style boss, FYI, if anyone's interested. :p ) It's just that I'm also able to do something amazing and quite fortunate with the actual timing of the music to certain parts of the battle, due to the music's excellent ability to theme the boss so well.

So there are a few things that I'm interested in working with and learning more about. For one, if you hit F3 or F4 to pause the game, the music continues to play while the game does not. Obviously, this creates an incredible Desync, and renders the experience moot.

Then of course, you have the thought that you could make a certain sequence last for as long as a certain track in the music lasts. You could make have a script timing it so that after the track ends, you pretty much warp into another boss loop.

Sad thing is, that the MP3 will eventually end regardless of your own actions. Thus, even if all you do is dodge the boss's attacks, it'll eventually reach its dramatic conclusion through the music alone. This isn't as much a concern for me though, because if you don't kill the boss to get by him, the rig you're on will explode, so you'll have to repeat the area anyway. It's just a problem for other people using an external, non-loopable MP3 as their theme that would have this problem.