PDA

View Full Version : Sonic CONFIRMED for Brawl!

Gerudo
10-10-2007, 03:24 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/common/entry_banner.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sonic/sonic_071010d-l.jpg

every fanboy just creamed their pants in unison... if WiFi didnt give you a reason for Brawl, then this might be the next best thing, imo.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sonic/sonic_071010a-l.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sonic/sonic_071010b-l.jpg
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sonic/sonic_071010c-l.jpg

phattonez
10-10-2007, 03:36 AM
"Confirmed for Brawl."

This does not sway me, I still have no money. I can barely afford housing and tuition.

Gerudo
10-10-2007, 03:41 AM
one major thing about this:

the new release date is TBD

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/cat_menu/info.gif

:O

(and yes that image is from the Brawl website)

KJAZZ
10-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Heh. I suspected a new post would be made instantly here regarding this.

Woo, Sonic. I've never been that huge a Sonic Fan, but still, more variety is always great news.

That TBD business kind of bothers me though, the Japanese Release was just announced as January 24th, so it's possible we might pushed back behind that date... :blah:

erm2003
10-10-2007, 05:34 AM
This is really awesome. This news has just made me ten times more excited about the release of this game! I just hope there aren't any major delays now.

rock_nog
10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
So... The two biggest rumors, Internet play and Sonic as a character, have been officially confirmed. Holy crap... There is just absolutely no way that this is not going to be the biggest thing ever.

As for the release date thing, though... I don't know what the Japanese release date tells us. I remember something about how Brawl was going to be released in December for here and Mario Kart would be Q1 2008, and in Europe the situation would be reversed, so it's possible there might be something similar for Japan, but I don't know.

Aegix Drakan
10-10-2007, 09:13 AM
OH FREAKING YEAH!

SONIC IS CONFIRMED FOR BRAWL!

I've been waiting for this for so long, it's not funny.

/me throws a huge party, and chages his avatar

Warlock
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
So... The two biggest rumors, Internet play and Sonic as a character, have been officially confirmed. Holy crap... There is just absolutely no way that this is not going to be the biggest thing ever.

As for the release date thing, though... I don't know what the Japanese release date tells us. I remember something about how Brawl was going to be released in December for here and Mario Kart would be Q1 2008, and in Europe the situation would be reversed, so it's possible there might be something similar for Japan, but I don't know.

Internet play was never a rumor - they outright confirmed it when they announced the game. Now people were unsure if it was still going in since they hadn't said anything about it since, but that was always the plan.

Petoe
10-10-2007, 09:45 AM
If Sonic is in the game, then Tails must be in it too, or Knuckles. Oh how I wish...! :)

But anyways, this game will probably be the biggest thing ever. All the popular Ninty characters + Snake + Sonic + god knows who!

ShadowTiger
10-10-2007, 09:49 AM
What would they do with Tails' flight mechanism though? Would he jump twice and then Glide like Pit would? Would he be able to "fly" in increments of Five or so like Jigglypuff?

Eh, if they can make Sonic work, they can make anyone work.

Aegix Drakan
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
...wow. I just watched the video, and I am going 0_o

First of all, because he looks like he's gonna kick some massive ass.

and second, because the way they introed him was almost exactly like I suggested in a Gamefaqs topic

*Mario is fighting, and suddenly, a blue blur shoots past, blowing mario away. Blur leaps into the air, spins and poses, revealing sonic.*

:odd: Are nintendo developers surfing gamefaqs, or is this some absolutely random coincidence?

The_Amaster
10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Dude!! OH, YES YES YES. I KNEW IT, I JUST KNEW IT.

*hyperventilates* Oh, man, this is great. Just great. Now I want a Wii even more. Thankful my friend has one, so I'll just bug him to let me play.

Banon
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
When I saw the update at first I was like -_-
Then I was like o_O
And then I was like :< (On a wednesday?!)
And finally I was : >

phattonez
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Amaster and Aegix, one of you has to change your avatar. Really, it's impossible to tell one from the other now. Maybe one can be Sonic and the other one can be Tails. Nothing wrong with Tails right?

So now Dr. Robotnik will be an item in the game?

Aegix Drakan
10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
..lol, ok...I'll switch it...

...there! better?

[EDIT]Just saw amaster's new Avvy...Might switch back if it satys the same, or becomes more different...

The_Amaster
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, I have to go now, so I'm just leaving Knuckles with a maroon background, but I'm planning on photoshoping in one of the brawl backgrounds to make one of my ultimate fantasies come tru(er than it already is)

DarkDragoonX
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Even I have to admit that this is pretty cool... I was always more of a Sega guy when I was younger, and Sonic in SSB was always kind of a pipe dream. Hell, Sonic fits in a helluva lot better than Snake does.

But god, as if I couldn't wait for Brawl enough already.

Brasel
10-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Mega Man would have been a cooler addition in my opinion. Never was much of a Sonic fan.

ZTC
10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Holy shit.

I should see if I can find my old knuckles avatar that I had on here 6 years ago...

DarkDragoonX
10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Mega Man would be amazingly awesome... it would have to be the original Mega Man, though, not X... the original would fit in much better.

MottZilla
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Very cool news, especially since this is the only upcoming Wii game I'm at all interested in at the moment. Still not enough for me to pay 250$ for another Wii. I paid 200$ for a GC and the last SSB game. :p

Pineconn
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
^Huh?

Anyway, I'm not surprised that they brought Sonic into SSBB. With all of his support to be in it, they almost had to.

Skulkraken
10-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Wow.... just... wow.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it some kind of hoax. I didn't really think something like this was going to happen, though I guess I should have expected it since Sonic and Mario are already set to appear in a game together for the Olympics.

Darth Marsden
10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES.

erm2003
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Well it looks like we will have to wait a bit longer for Brawl. The new release date has been set for February 10, 2008. I can only hope this means that there will be plenty more surprises and maybe they are putting some final touches on other characters that could show up. Either way I can't wait for this one to come out.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/826/826579p1.html

vegeta1215
10-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I saw it coming a long time ago, but it was still nice to hear it confirmed. I would think Nintendo would put a character in from a few more of their close partners such as Pacman (Namco) and Mega-Man (Capcom) at this rate.

Aegix Drakan
10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I'll wait however long I have to wait for this game.

after seeing those new gameplay videos...I can safely say that this just might be the greatest game of all time.

And as such, I want the developers to make this game absolute gaming nirvana. They can take as long as they want.

BTW, is anyone else here gonna use Sonic as their main? I know I am. (or at least I'll try)

[EDIT]Oh, and Megaman would be awesome. or heck...GENO!

Warlock
10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Geno is stupid :P I still don't get why everyone wants him.

DarkDragoonX
10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Geno is stupid :P I still don't get why everyone wants him.

It's one of those mysteries nobody will ever solve, like why the hell anybody ever liked "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Breaker
10-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Knuckles or Nights & Reala would be awesome.

It's one of those mysteries nobody will ever solve, like why the hell anybody ever liked "2001: A Space Odyssey."

...because it was one of the greatest films ever made? Right up there with Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Or maybe I'm just a big fan of Kubrick. *shrugs*

Dechipher
10-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Geno was cool because he was a chill dude who could throw down if necessary. Plus he was a fucking star.

It was basically down to him or the marshmellow. No contest.

Warlock
10-12-2007, 08:25 AM
But Geno was a friggin' talking puppet. He was the video game equivalent to Pinocchio. Plus he was in one game that wasn"t even developed by Nintendo --- a game that I should add, probably 60&#37; of SSBB's playbase will not have even heard of (remember, not everyone grew up on SNES :P).

In any case, Geno is *not* main character material. If anything else, he can be an assist trophy. But I sort of doubt he'll even be that.

MasterSwordUltima
10-12-2007, 09:13 AM
lmao, I'm so sick of reading about Geno.

Megaman, I really think will get it. I was really hoping that Mike Jones and any other Star Tropics references would make it [even as assist trophies].

Did anyone see the videos with Sonic fighting Link, and his Final Smash being Super Sonic [which looked INCREDIBLY CHEAP, btw] and the one with Samus fighting Mario? Not only does it prove true that the N64 style character intros are back, but that the gameplay seems a bit slower [like the N64 version].

As for the new date, of course I don't want to wait any further, but it seems that they're seriously adding so much. Just the little things make it better and better [like today's update with the screenshots in pause menu, brilliant]. And besides, I've already got my copy reserved, so I'm all set for February.

Warlock
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Yeah, as far as 3rd party characters go, these are the few I feel have a real good chance:

Mega Man - like you said, he'd be great. Capcom has already done a few arcade fighters with him (Power Battle/Fighters) and he is perfectly suited for the game. Heh, you know it'd even be funny if they could find a way to simulate his ability to aquire new weapons in a Kirby-like way.

Simon Belmont - Well Konami is already on board, and frankly Simon is practically a Nintendo mascot as it is. The guy was in three Castlevanias on Nintendo systems (in fact, if you don't include remakes of the original Castlevania, I believe *all* of his appearances were on Nintendo systems), the Captain N cartoon, and all around he would be an interesting and excellent addition with his whip and sub-items as his moves (personally I go with up-smash being Axe, sideways being Cross, and down being Holy Water.. Block would be the whip spin :D Though I don't know if there is some rule that up needs to also be the recovery move :P)

Pac-Man - Mainly just because Nintendo and Namco have such a close relationship and he is a video game icon. It's a bit hard to say what his moves would be though, which makes him a bit iffy.

Aegix Drakan
10-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, I saw that video of Sonic VS link, and... I'm sure there's a disadvantage to Super sonic. Plus, I'm sure you can dodge it.

:( My best friend LOVES to toy with me like that. I grab a star in melee, he manges to play keep away for the whole 30 seconds. I never got close.

Yeah, he's problably gonna LOVE to torment me with that...*grabs smash ball, and never makes a single hit.*

And Warlock...that post wins for the sole fact that you mentioned captain N. :)

characters I might want to see: Megaman, Bomberman, Simon belmont (maybe), Black mage or moogle (come on! they're cool, no?) and...well..I'm not against Sora, but...If he gets in, they damn better nerf him a bit, becase he's the most overpowered character in existance. He took on Sephiroth and won, so I think that proves my point.

Warlock
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Bomberman also works since Nintendo is very close with Hudson now, but I dunno, he just doesn't seem as likely to me.

But I don't think ANY Square characters are going to show up - especially those who have never been on a Nintendo system (remember, Snake was in the original Metal Gear on NES, and Twin Snakes on GC :)). Square just doesn't have a good enough relationship with Nintendo.

Modus Ponens
10-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I was really hoping that Mike Jones and any other Star Tropics references would make it [even as assist trophies].

High fucking five, MSU. I've been rooting for Mike from day one. I love Startropics and I think the possibilities are great for Mike's weapon changing from the Supernova to the Shooting Star and finally to the Island Yo-Yo as he takes damage.

Warlock, what they could do for Megaman is make it so that when he KOs an opponent, he can use their powers. That way it's just like in the actual Megaman games.

As for seeing Sora, etc., I distinctly recall someone from Nintendo saying specifically that, as Warlock suggested, only characters who have appeared on a Nintendo system would be eligible for inclusion in Brawl.

Warlock
10-12-2007, 02:36 PM
High fucking five, MSU. I've been rooting for Mike from day one. I love Startropics and I think the possibilities are great for Mike's weapon changing from the Supernova to the Shooting Star and finally to the Island Yo-Yo as he takes damage.

Warlock, what they could do for Megaman is make it so that when he KOs an opponent, he can use their powers. That way it's just like in the actual Megaman games.

As for seeing Sora, etc., I distinctly recall someone from Nintendo saying specifically that, as Warlock suggested, only characters who have appeared on a Nintendo system would be eligible for inclusion in Brawl.

Right, that's what I was sort of thinking. Though the problem with that is it kind of makes one of his moves obsolete until he kills someone (and potentially for the whole match). But it could always be scaled down to whoever he shot last or something like that. Maybe even make the "special move" button as a "power stealing attack" of sorts, until he gets a power.

Anyways, it did occur to me that Sora has indeed appeared on a Nintendo system (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and also the upcoming DS title), but I do still think he's too much of an unknown to "the general Nintendo audience". Plus, like I said, I don't think Nintendo is close enough with Square to arrange such an inclusion.

P.S. - I'd like to see some Startropics reference too. Like you said, even if it's not as a fighter, as an Assist Trophy would rock.

I also still want to see Little Mac as a fighter :)

Modus Ponens
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I also still want to see Little Mac as a fighter :)

See, this is why I love AGN. My top two want-to-sees for Brawl have always been Little Mac and Mike Jones.

As for Megaman, I figure his standard B move would just be his Mega Buster until he stole someone else's power, and then it would be replaced (and his color palette would change!).

Dechipher
10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
How about Glover?

...chirp chirp...

Warlock
10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
See, this is why I love AGN. My top two want-to-sees for Brawl have always been Little Mac and Mike Jones.

As for Megaman, I figure his standard B move would just be his Mega Buster until he stole someone else's power, and then it would be replaced (and his color palette would change!).

Hehe, I was just thinking.. since they are doing cool stuff with the costumes this time (someone mentioned one of Link's alternate costumes is Dark Link), Mega Man's alternate costumes could be, say, Mega Man X, the Mega Man from Legends, etc. That would be awesome!

Edit:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3163615

Assist Trophies: In a nod to the old school, Brawl brings in Assist Trophies -- special items that when activated summon up "assistants" from memorable classic games to help beat on your opponents. It's a surprising moment, when in the heat of battle the tanks from Advance Wars come out in single-file or Little Mac appears punching up a storm.
Awww.. at least he's in the game though.

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
They should add alot of caracters that we all no and love,there is so many,they should have like 4 screens for picking, then it whould be on,4 screens so you can pick up to 4 versions of caracters:old:link,mega man,and etc.then,kinda newer,link,mega man and etc and so on,they should add alot to choose from it whould make the game funner,same old caracters over and over get a little boaring,to me after a wile.:shrug:

Modus Ponens
10-12-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3163615

Oh no! My heart just sank. :(

Sigh...well, there's always the next game in the series...

MasterSwordUltima
10-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I really liked how the Advance Wars tanks just rushed out against Mario in that video. So good.

As for alt. costumes, I have a feeling they'll really make them special. Not just pallete swaps, but different skins, possibly even slightly different models. For instance, Link may have the Ordon Farm Clothes, the Green Tunic, Zora Armor, Magic Armor, and some form of Dark Link [If they go for 5 outfits like in Melee, however it is showing to be more like the N64 SSB, so maybe only 4].

Snake could easily have; MGS1, MGS2, Pliskin, Big Boss [in both standard Snake Eater, and Portable Ops sneaking suit], and MGS4.

Megaman has a lot of possibilities for costumes. They could go with [Megaman, MMX, MMX [MMZ Style], MM Legends, MM.EXE]. They could also go with [Megaman, Protoman, Forte, Armorless/Rock, and whomever else].

--------------------------------

Simon Belmont would be quite rad, but the whip thing is really overused. And that's practically all he's got going for him. Even if it his B attack, what about his regular A moves? What about his Final Smash?

Sora...I have no idea what to say. Square-Enix has been getting closer to Nintendo, what with Super Mario Strikers, or whatever game was chock full of Black and White Mages, topped with moogles. And the fact that there is gonna be the DS game coming up...who knows? Maybe this is what the delay is for?

Also, how come there haven't been any major characters from Hudson? No Adventure Island references at all? Gah. Hudson has practically 1/4 of all the games on VC too. :O

Mak-X
10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
There was a Konami/Hudson/Takara Smash Bros. clone for PS2 and GC called "Dream Mix TV" that had Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, Bomberman, and Master Higgins among other characters.
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2018348

I'm hoping for Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and maybe Pac-Man too.

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 07:56 PM
There was a Konami/Hudson/Takara Smash Bros. clone for PS2 and GC called "Dream Mix TV" that had Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, Bomberman, and Master Higgins among other characters.
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2018348

I'm hoping for Mega Man, Simon Belmont, and maybe Pac-Man too.It whould have been be wierd if they added halo,but that whould never happen.

Warlock
10-12-2007, 08:44 PM
http://revoeyes.blogspot.com/2007/10/super-smash-bros-brawl-10-minute-video.html

10 minute Smash Bros. demo. It goes over a lot of the basics which may be unnecessary, but it's very good quality video and shows some neat stuff. I really like Pit's Final Smash... brings back memories from that game :D

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 08:50 PM
^It wont load up for me any ideas?this pc is fast and brand new so it must be my connection or does it take a few minites to load?

Warlock
10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
^It wont load up for me any ideas?this pc is fast and brand new so it must be my connection or does it take a few minites to load?

You need the DivX plugin (which you should see as a popup to download)

GamerMan
10-12-2007, 09:07 PM
You need the DivX plugin (which you should see as a popup to download)Oh ok,thanks buddy:)

Majora
10-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I would like to point out that I heard/read (I'm fairly certain it was a reliable source, or else I wouldn't mention it... maybe I read it here or Wikipedia...) that Brawl is the last game in the series. At least, by the guy who was in charge of '64 and Melee. Melee WAS going to be the last game, but the guy was convinced to do one more game. So, whatever happens in Brawl is it, end of the line. There will probably be other Smash games by some other guy. Comparable to the guy (talented at naming, aren't I? :P) who directed MM, and TP, and WW (I think).

Dechipher
10-13-2007, 02:15 AM
I would like to point out that I heard/read (I'm fairly certain it was a reliable source, or else I wouldn't mention it... maybe I read it here or Wikipedia...) that Brawl is the last game in the series. At least, by the guy who was in charge of '64 and Melee. Melee WAS going to be the last game, but the guy was convinced to do one more game. So, whatever happens in Brawl is it, end of the line. There will probably be other Smash games by some other guy. Comparable to the guy (talented at naming, aren't I? :P) who directed MM, and TP, and WW (I think).

I can't accurately say whether or not what you say is true, but it certainly does make sense. It makes sense why they're branching beyond just Nintendo. Pretty much the Ultimate Showdown for who's who of gaming.
As long as they don't let it become another Mario party, I'm fine.

Modus Ponens
10-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Good Lord. I'm as excited...I'm more excited than if I were awaiting a new Zelda game.

EDIT: Note to self--make sure you're on the last page of the topic before posting a reply. My excited words were just in reference to the video. The fact that Brawl is going to be the last game in the series fills me with a sort of strange emotional rage that is difficult to describe.

Aegix Drakan
10-15-2007, 11:10 AM
whatever game was chock full of Black and White Mages, topped with moogles.

That'd be Mario hoops 3 on 3.

and...Well, I wouldn't MIND Sora being in at all, but, he's not in my top list.

Warlock
10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
What you're referring to no longer exists. It was on the old Smash Bros site before they remodeled it. I don't know if a copy exists on the web anymore, but this is close:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/673/673312p1.html

The thing is, he never says this is his last Smash Bros. He *did* say Melee was his last Smash Bros, but then Nintendo basically opened up this development studio just for him to come back and make this game. I honestly doubt he would turn down the opportunity to make another sequel sometime in the future. I suspect he just wants the chance to create other titles first, which is totally understandable.

Edit: It was waybacked:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717230329/www.smashbros.com/en/story/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717230329/http://www.smashbros.com/en/story/page_2.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717230329/http://www.smashbros.com/en/story/page_3.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717230329/http://www.smashbros.com/en/story/page_4.html

punkonjunk1024
10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I can't believe we haven't seen a mobile SSB. Seriously, the DS would be an amazing place for an online, wireless updated original SSB, maybe with a few new characters/melee characters.

Majora
10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Pac-Man - Mainly just because Nintendo and Namco have such a close relationship and he is a video game icon. It's a bit hard to say what his moves would be though, which makes him a bit iffy.

Mr. Game and Watch comes to mind. ;)

punkonjunk1024
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
omfg, since they confirmed sonic, pac man would be an "amazing" suprise character, like G&W. I would shit a brick and then fucking eat it. Solid snake, pit, metanight, sonic.... and fucking pac man. I would die.

mrz84
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
[EDIT]Ok, I forgot to read all of pages 2 and 3. Forget I said anything about his Final Smash. *dies*

Also, I agree that Mege Man (original, not X) would have been a excellent addition to Brawl. We can only hope that the next game (there will be one) that Capcom joins in on the fun. Squareenix would be sweet, too. :kitty:

ShadowTiger
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Sweet. Anybody wanna bet his Final Smash will involve him going Super Sai-I mean Hedgie?I can absolutely confirm it. :p Check the second half of this demo video. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=At6XYXirQ3M) He does turn into .. er .. Golden Sonic, (Never played or watched the show/games.) He flies around and just comes into contact with them while facing the camera (Us.) and they don't fly a short distance. Not at all.

Aegix Drakan
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
It's Super Sonic, ShadowTiger, Super Sonic...

ZTC
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
He does turn into .. er .. Golden Sonic, (Never played or watched the show/games.) :odd:
Go play Sonic, now. I don't care how you do it, but get at least either Sonic 2 or Sonic & Knuckles. I am in shock that you've never played those games.

I might have a new favorite character to smash with...

punkonjunk1024
10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Jesus, super sonic is your damn avatar. Dgen, Sonic&nuckles+sonic3. It's epic. Do it now.

Skulkraken
10-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Super Sonic's the result of Sonic using all the Chaos Emeralds, in case you aren't able to get a hold of a copy of something from Sonic 2 and on. Sonic 3 & Knuckles also lets you become Super Sonic during regular stages, as opposed to only being able to use him in the final boss battle, IIRC.

MottZilla
10-18-2007, 02:41 AM
ST, I'm afriad if you don't play Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles or some variation we will all have to beat you silly. Everyone should know about the chaos emeralds and Super Sonic by now. :O It's only been what, 17 years? :p

Warlock
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
I still can't believe that never continued after the Genesis games... That was like.. the whole point of the games back then.. you wanted to get all the emeralds so you could turn Sonic into a badass...