PDA

View Full Version : $4.6 billion settlement in power plant air pollution case

Prrkitty
10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/08/pollution.suit.settlement/index.html

Quote: In the largest environmental settlement in Justice Department history, American Electric Power has agreed to install $4.6 billion in equipment to sharply reduce emissions at coal-fired power plants in five states, sources said.

AEP, one of the nation's largest power producers, owns coal-fired plants in the Ohio River Valley.

The record settlement comes eight years after the Justice Department, headed by then-Attorney General Janet Reno, filed suit alleging AEP and six other power companies had "illegally released massive amounts of air pollutants for years."

On November 3, 1999, the Justice Department filed the landmark lawsuits against the power companies alleging they violated the Clean Air Act by making major modifications to many of their plants without installing the equipment required to control smog, acid rain and soot.

"When children can't breathe because of pollution from a utility plant hundreds of miles away, something must be done," Reno declared.

The upgrades will be made at power plants in Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Indiana and Kentucky, the sources said.
-----

It's good this law suit was filed and won. But I honestly don't see the AEP honestly making any of the changes. They KNEW all along what they were doing was wrong. They KNEW all along that what they were doing and how they were doing it was being harmful to humanity and the world in general ... and they didn't care.

Ultimately I believe they still don't care. Because if they had really cared... they would have done something about all this a really long time ago.

GamerMan
10-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I totally agree with you:eek:
I live in Seattle Washington, one of the most
polluted citys in world, and when it gets sunny you can
see the big blanket of pollution,global warming you ask...
Well I have no clue, but it chould lead to it some day:glare:<pollution
did it to me.

biggiy05
10-09-2007, 12:00 AM
AEP has been under fire for a long time out here and they are still under investigation from the mass power outage from the storm in 2004.

I totally agree with you:eek:
I live in Seattle Washington, one of the most
polluted citys in world, and when it gets sunny you can
see the big blanket of pollution,global warming you ask...
Well I have no clue, but it chould lead to it some day:glare:<pollution
did it to me.

I wonder if the pollution affected your ability to make a single post with some grammar that people can understand.

GamerMan
10-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Whats your problem Bigge05 stop being a stuck up little brat.
I can read my posts and others can to,so (can) it,you think becuse your a mod, you are big and bad, well look closer I dont give a ______.

No wonder members leave this site, it's mainly becuse of you.
I see it more clearly now,and your little infractions don't scare me
and yes I know you can ban me,but I also dont give a rats ass.

So suck it up and stop being a punk,that may be out of line but I had
to get that off my chest,your job is to mod not bitch at me becuse my
grammer is not 100&#37; errorless.

Everyone miss spells some times, but as long as it's readable it's fine.
If you understand what i'm saying then you can read it,
and if you don't understand what i'm saying now then let me
help you out:

svgiyvuoivwsoudcviubvf) there read that!

Prrkitty
10-09-2007, 01:32 AM
GamerMan... this is MY thread. Play nice or don't click into my threads... please and thank you.

Nicholas Steel
10-09-2007, 01:33 AM
GamerMan, A) punctuate your sentences better B) remove this poetry crap your trying to pull off with all your posts...

making them
like this
is not a
good way to
go you see?

phattonez
10-09-2007, 01:41 AM
It's not that hard to read, besides, it's not like he's spamming.

GamerMan
10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
It's not that hard to read, besides, it's not like he's spamming.YEP,I have no clue why your one of the only people who sees that?

GamerMan, A) punctuate your sentences better B) remove this poetry crap your trying to pull off with all your posts...

making them
like this
is not a
good way to
go you see?Done and done:)

GamerMan... this is MY thread. Play nice or don't click into my threads... please and thank you.Ok sorry girl,I just had to let that out but i'm fine now;)

AtmaWeapon
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually it is that hard to read and once I notice about 75&#37; of my effort is decoding someone's posts I just ignore it and move to the next one. Other than the short line breaks though I found your rate of errors to be quite typical of the below-average poster and was able to process them. Do cut out the short line breaks though, whether you want to believe it or not the eyes actually do have to spend quite a bit of effort to read broken-up posts; it's much better when you reduce the amount of HBLANK cycles (ha ha atari 2600 coding nerd).

Anyway, I'm glad to see they are being forced to install better equipment, but it'd be all-around smarter to replace the coal plants with nuclear. I remember seeing a study cited that claimed there are more annual deaths related to coal mining than deaths among those who work in and around nuclear facilities, and the power is all-around cleaner. Especially if we send all the nuclear waste to the moon or somewhere like that, what could go wrong with polluting other planets?

The_Amaster
10-09-2007, 08:36 PM
They're not that hard to read. Sure, they aren't great, but compared to some of the crap I've had to read, especially in ZQ Help, he;'s actually really good.

On topic: Yeah, polluiton's effects are really longstanding. My city used to be a big industrial center, with like 10 different factories for various companies. Most were torn down 10-20 years ago, and our pollution count is still dangerously high.

GamerMan
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Actually it is that hard to read and once I notice about 75&#37; of my effort is decoding someone's posts I just ignore it and move to the next one. Other than the short line breaks though I found your rate of errors to be quite typical of the below-average poster and was able to process them. Do cut out the short line breaks though, whether you want to believe it or not the eyes actually do have to spend quite a bit of effort to read broken-up posts; it's much better when you reduce the amount of HBLANK cycles (ha ha atari 2600 coding nerd).

Anyway, I'm glad to see they are being forced to install better equipment, but it'd be all-around smarter to replace the coal plants with nuclear. I remember seeing a study cited that claimed there are more annual deaths related to coal mining than deaths among those who work in and around nuclear facilities, and the power is all-around cleaner. Especially if we send all the nuclear waste to the moon or somewhere like that, what could go wrong with polluting other planets?Well I changed the way I post becuse of the complaining, and all the bad karmas,so it should be a bit easyer to read if not sorry thats all I can do.But seeing as i'm kinda a new member you can be a bit more nicer, I mean come on your not supposed to drive new members away and i'm very close to leaveing this site I rarely join forums becuse of secerty reasons and to avoid people treating me like...well anyway point is you can be a bit nicer,your not supposed to treat new members badly no matter the spelling, or whatever, some people have feelings.I'm one of them,you may flame me for that but sorry I don't understand how you want me to act, I try my best to be helpfull and not spam or flame yet I still get a bunch of bad, rude, karmas and people harrassing me so please treat me with a bit of respect:)Thanks

A eye, for a eye,you treat me with respect, and I do the same for you:)
this message goes to all,not just the person above.
Allthough I see a bit of members and mods flameing, I will not reduce myself to it.
We all love zc so lets be friends, and help other new members with any zc trouble they may have.