PDA

View Full Version : iPod catches man's pants on fire...

Prrkitty
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271878/detail.html

So y'all be careful if you store your iPod in your pants pockets!! :) <lol>

MasterSwordUltima
10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
You be catchin' up on your e-mails tonight, Prr? :D

My Nano's been out of commission for a while, seeing as how the case is seperating [still works, but I never use it. In the car we listen to Sute's Nano]

Prrkitty
10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Ayep. Now that company has come and gone I can get back to my usual routine and thought y'all might find that article interesting.

Russ
10-05-2007, 10:53 PM
That's it, now I'm definitly not getting an iPod. I can't believe ot actually caught on fire. Just think if he were asleep when it happened. Scary thought.:eek:

The_Amaster
10-05-2007, 11:05 PM

*Amaster looks straight ahead for a bit, then very slowly reaches down to his pocket and lifts out his iPod, gingerly placing it on the TV tray next to him*

Prrkitty
10-06-2007, 12:03 AM

*Amaster looks straight ahead for a bit, then very slowly reaches down to his pocket and lifts out his iPod, gingerly placing it on the TV tray next to him*

VERY smart move hon.

Although the article did specify that it was an iPod Nano ... and it has the same type lithium battery with issues that the ones for the laptops had awhile back.

So unless yours is a Nano... your pocket might still be safe ;)

MasterSwordUltima
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
lmao, I laughed at the adverb "gingerly" so bad. Most likely due to the three hours of sleep I've gotten within the past 30-some hours, but still. You are awesome Amaster.

Masamune
10-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I'd be willing to bet this guy was faking it and his chest was already on fire.

Archibaldo
10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
There was a chemical reaction between the iPod and the piece of glossy paper in his pocket that triggered the fire.

Yeah that's it. Chemical reaction... hehehe.

mrz84
10-07-2007, 09:56 AM
*dies from the hilarity of Amaster's post*

In all seriousness though, I don't have a nano. I got an mp3 player my dad sent from the UK a few months ago. I did drop it in a toilet once by accident though. Fortunately before I did my business and it still works. :kitty:

phattonez
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I should tell this to all the people I see walking around with earbuds. As if those weren't bad enough for you, now mp3 players can kill you.

The_Amaster
10-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Heh, I stopped using earbuds ages ago. They suck. Old school headphones all the way man.

Aegix Drakan
10-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Amaster...:rofl:

I don't have this problem. I use my Flash-card on my DS to play my music. And last I checked, DS's don't tend to spontaneously (SP?) catch fire.

vegeta1215
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Heh, I stopped using earbuds ages ago. They suck. Old school headphones all the way man.

I know, I don't understand how any music fan can stand to use those things. I have a big pair of headphones and they sound amazing. And when I don't want something so big on my head I use these Sony in-ear headphones I bought for under $15, which although no where near as good as my full size headphones, sound a heck of a lot better than those Apple earbuds. btw, have you seen how much Apple earbuds things cost if you buy them separately from your iPod? Like $30 I think, which is ridiculous.

I saw a clip about that guy who's nanop exploded or whatever on tv. Sounds fishy to me. I just can't see that happening.

Masamune
10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106956

I own these monsters. Perfect sound all the time.

GamerMan
10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271878/detail.html

So y'all be careful if you store your iPod in your pants pockets!! :) <lol>lol..good thing I don't have an Ipod..huh..lol

vegeta1215
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106956

I own these monsters. Perfect sound all the time.

I have almost the same pair. Mine are Koss PRO3AA Titanium. I never thought I'd spend $70 or so on a pair of headphones, but they are so worth it. That line also has a lifetime warranty with Koss, and I have already taken advantage of after accidentally bending the jack. The process was very smooth - send your headphones in with $6 shipping, and they fix it (I'm actually not sure whether they fixed mine or replaced it entirely. Either way they were like new when I got them back)

AtmaWeapon
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Li-ion batteries are very bad things to have in your pocket. If they get bent, and the lining between the mean chemicals inside gets ruptured, there is going to be a heat reaction. If that heat reaction melts through the plastic, then the Lithium gets exposed to air. Alkali metals are kind of like mogwai: there are certain rules to follow and one of them is you do not let them get exposed to air or water unless you are a fair distance away. (At least that's how I understand it, seeing a video of cesium dropped in a bathtub is pretty awesome btw!)

I found a nice article about it the other day that explained how for the most part a Li-ion device that is about to combust is going to make itself pretty obvious because it heats up to somewhere near 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately I am too stupid to operate my del.icio.us account and I didn't make a note of it.

I do think parts of this guy's story are exaggerated for effect. If you've got a pair of pants you want to dispose of, go outside and light them on fire, and heck put a piece of glossy paper on the fire too for good measure. Now count to 15 seconds. How easy is it to put out the fire, and what's left of the pants?

Now, keep in mind how long 15 seconds is, and consider the picture of the iPod that combusted. It is slightly melty, and it almost looks like the screen is still functioning. Now, picture a jet of flame about 18" high, and compare it to what you saw of the burning pants.

My opinion is that flames of the size he reports and the duration he reports would have not only damaged the iPod much more, but he'd also be getting skin grafts to replace the 50&#37; of his leg that got turned into hamburger. While I don't doubt that there was a fire and that the iPod was the cause, I believe there are some embellishments on the story.

How do I know? His pants are on fire.

Jenny
10-09-2007, 10:15 PM
good thing i use a CD player instead :D. i agree Atma, his legs would be grilled, and he would look much hotter (heat hot >.> haha). so it was probably extending the truth :P

Trevelyan_06
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I've been absent for a few days cause pesky real life gets in the way. I'm surprised in the 4 days since this was posted no one has asked if his iPod was perhaps playing "We didn't start the fire", or even "Melt with you"

However, it's probably safe to say that's because most other posters here have enough decency to spare others horrible horrible puns.

rock_nog
10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe new iPods come with a built-in lie-detector feature?

Aegix Drakan
10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm surprised in the 4 days since this was posted no one has asked if his iPod was perhaps playing "We didn't start the fire", or even "Melt with you"

/me hits the floor, laughing his ass off.

Nice.

aces2022
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Ipods are made of heavy duty material but they aren't put together right. The portable music industry should really have something better on "the top," than an iPod. There's nothing special about iPods, there just too damn expensive.

AtmaWeapon
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure he was listening to "Hot Pants", followed by "Great Balls of Fire".