PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about tilesets

LuminaDragon
10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
So what does one need to create their own tilesets or edit an existing one? My apologizes if there is a thread already. And If so, could I please have a link?

If not, any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advantage and apologizes again in advance if I'm wasting time.

GamerMan
10-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Well hi your new huh, well welcome to agn.
Have a great time read the rules and you
will be fine.

As for your question:It takes alot depending
on what kind of tileset you are trying to make and how big it is.
Well you are new so first,you need to know alot about
tiles,pallets,how to rip,and etc.

Also you must be some what aware on how zc editer
works, there is alot of stuff you have to understand how
to do, do you need info on a certain type of tileset
or tilesets all togther?? and if so what do you wan't to
know there is alot of stuff you must know before
you make a tileset.

But I will help you just give a bit more detail.

Joe123
10-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Telling him it's too hard's really going to help isn't it...

If you want to edit the existing tileset, go to Quest->Graphics->Tiles. Have a look at the tilesheet there, it consists of ALL of the graphics in your entire game, and you can edit them how you'd like, by pressing 'E' over a tile, and then using the tools. The sword is draw, pot is fill, wand is replace, and the glove can be used to scroll the tile around.

To import new graphics into an already exisitng tileset, you find the image that you want to import, and then go into the tilesheet. Move onto a blank, unused tile and press 'G'. This will bring up the 'grab' menu, which is used to grab tiles from image files into your quest. If you then press file and select your image, you can grab in some graphics. You'll probably have to recolour them to the tileset you're using's Csets though.

I think it's likely that
http://zcu.sephiroth.ws/forums/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=4
this tutorial will help you get a better grasp of how the system works, although you might already understand that.

As Gamerman said though, it is hard work making a completely new tileset.
You can open ready-made ones straight up into zquest, there's quite a nice compilation at www.purezc.com.

If there's anything else you'd like explaining, I'm sure someone will be happy to help, don't worry that you're wasting people's time :)

LuminaDragon
10-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Actually both posts will be helpful for me to toy around for now. I'm aware of how much work will be necessary and I did indeed look over the Zelda Classic program some as well :) I'm slow to work on things with everything I'm doing but hopefully I'll make some progress after awhile. I learn better by actually seeing what stuff does so I'm looking forward to trying out :D

As for GamerMan's question, I have the LttP tile set by Orion. I'm looking to refine that one as when I loaded it, some of the icons didn't appear. It may just be a compatibility issue on my end though. I'm using the most recent ZC programs. I'm not entirely sure if the LttP tileset is ok for that or what.

And thank you, Joe123, I didn't realize you can edit directly thru ZC that way. I thought it may have been something like photoshop or paint then save it with the different extension. (Or maybe that works as well?)

Thank you both for replying, I may be slow to reply sometimes but I appreciate your time :)

Joe123
10-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Yesyes, you can do that with photoshop or paint fine. Just save it as a .bmp or .gif, and grab into ZC like I explained up there.

LuminaDragon
10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Yesyes, you can do that with photoshop or paint fine. Just save it as a .bmp or .gif, and grab into ZC like I explained up there.

Oh duh, yes you did! Hehe sorry ^^; Thanks again

GamerMan
10-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Actually both posts will be helpful for me to toy around for now. I'm aware of how much work will be necessary and I did indeed look over the Zelda Classic program some as well :) I'm slow to work on things with everything I'm doing but hopefully I'll make some progress after awhile. I learn better by actually seeing what stuff does so I'm looking forward to trying out :D

As for GamerMan's question, I have the LttP tile set by Orion. I'm looking to refine that one as when I loaded it, some of the icons didn't appear. It may just be a compatibility issue on my end though. I'm using the most recent ZC programs. I'm not entirely sure if the LttP tileset is ok for that or what.

And thank you, Joe123, I didn't realize you can edit directly thru ZC that way. I thought it may have been something like photoshop or paint then save it with the different extension. (Or maybe that works as well?)

Thank you both for replying, I may be slow to reply sometimes but I appreciate your time :)I also have lttp tileset,and if you can update and finish it, that whould be cool,but there's a reason why it's barly close to geting updated. You really have to add more tiles, palletes and stuff.HARD work....
But if you can manage then some of us zc fans will be very greatfull, but the fact that your starting out,is the reason why I will not be looking forward to the update,but good luck anyway.

If you have any problems post them here... (luminadragon)SEEING as I have alot of time on my hands I can help you and unless i'm gone,I allways reply fast.;)Also you said you are haveing problems with the lttp tileset
well what (zeldaclassic) version are you using??
1.92 and 2.10 whould be your best bets:)