PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 planned features questions

AmazingAmpharos
10-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I was planning on starting work on a new project (I've done a good deal of planning already; I've been planning this quest for a very long time), but I was wondering about a few features that seem edgy for 2.5. 2.5 seems really close since the latest builds are fantastically stable so I think it's an appropriate time to ask about these things.

Will Link drowns in walkable water be in 2.5? The feature has been pushed as incomplete for as long as I've seen it, but the recent builds seem to suggest that it's under active development. I would probably use it if it were around, though I also have to wonder if things like "unswimmable" or "damage" flags would be added to let it simulate, say, lava from OoS.

Will Dmap disabling work perfectly? By that I mean will it also allow full disabing of items such as rings, disabling of specific items in a family, correct interpretation of disabling in terms of Link tile mods, etc? The whole quest idea falls to pieces if this feature isn't in and working 100% completely perfectly. I'd prefer not to do too much work designing around a feature that won't work for a very long time. I feel the need to probe so specifically about this since a minor flaw in dmap disabling for my planned quest would be a total quest killer. At no point during the whole quest will the player not be on a dmap on which a very large number of items are disabled.

Speaking of non-working features that appear in Zquest, are there any plans for the Cane of Bynra or ice magic? I would probably use the former if it were around in some capacity, assuming it works like it does in lttp, but it's not really that important. As per the latter, I'd certainly use it if it's there but would be fine without it. Knowing one way or another would be incredibly useful in planning enemies and maybe even areas (making an ice dungeon makes a lot more sense if ice magic is there).

I don't mean to be pushy about these things, but from a quest design perspective it's really important to know which things I can plan on using and which things I should avoid. Thank you for your time in addressing these concerns.

DarkDragon
10-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Will Link drowns in walkable water be in 2.5? The feature has been pushed as incomplete for as long as I've seen it, but the recent builds seem to suggest that it's under active development. I would probably use it if it were around, though I also have to wonder if things like "unswimmable" or "damage" flags would be added to let it simulate, say, lava from OoS.
I think L is trying to get it working, as it's technically a feature that's been around forever in a (very buggy) state. That said, if he starts adding the suggested flags or other sundry new flags I will strangle personally strangle him. :sb:

Will Dmap disabling work perfectly?
Hopefully. However the implementation is and will be messy, and will need to be tested thoroughly.

Speaking of non-working features that appear in Zquest, are there any plans for the Cane of Bynra or ice magic?
DN was working on those; I'm not familiar enough with their current status to comment.

Understand that because 2.5 is so close to being done, it's 100% the worst time to be asking for new features: as a polished version draws closer, each addition costs more and more in terms of how much farther back the release date is pushed, as previously tested and debugged features have to be retested to make sure they interact correctly with the new ones.

Dark Nation
10-04-2007, 07:56 AM
No ice magic in 2.5. Possibly 2.6. As for the Cane of Byrna, I didn't start that, but I can try to look into it. It will either need to be finished or pulled before 2.5 comes out.

AmazingAmpharos
10-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info. To be clear, I wasn't trying to ask for new features at all since, yeah, I understand and appreciate the need for a stable 2.5 ASAP. I was just trying to get clarification on the nature of the incomplete features. With this info I can proceed forward.