PDA

View Full Version : Weird things you probably didn't know... but do now.

Prrkitty
10-02-2007, 07:44 PM
A shrimp's heart is in its head.

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

23% of all photocopier faults world-wide are caused y people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

Most lipstick contains fish scales. YUCK!

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sn eeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.

If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

Horses can't vomit.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all of the world's nuclear weapons combined.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants. LET'S GO FOR A RIDE!

Thirty-five p ercent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

It's physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

A snail can sleep for three years.

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

All polar bears are left handed.

In ancient Egypt, priests p lucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

"Go," is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
AND.... Almost everyone who reads this will probably try to lick their elbow.

The_Amaster
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, I knew some of those, but a lot of them were bizzare.
All I can say is...

Wow. Calvin's Dad was right!(Anyone who get's that has my respect)

Pineconn
10-02-2007, 09:47 PM

...Lucky guess. :p

Aegix Drakan
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
A shrimp's heart is in its head.

then where is it's BRAIN?

The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
The sixth shixs seeks...oh I give up.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.

...wow...thank goodness humans aren't that fast. But still, we are overpopulating...

Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

...Oh shit...My EARS!!! THEY'RE UNCLEEEEAAAN!!!

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

THere's a law like that? ...it's probably just to prevent some random redneck from shooting an alien, and causing intergalactic war. Oh, and it's obvious there are aliens. There are HOW many UFO calls each day? They can't all be fake.

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

...I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I happen to see it.

23% of all photocopier faults world-wide are caused y people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

...I'm sanatizing the photocopier next time I use it...

Most lipstick contains fish scales. YUCK!

:P not my problem. I'm a guy. And I don't particularily like girls who use lots of makeup.

Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

Figures...

If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sn eeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.

...oh man...I sneeze really loud...Thanks for the tip...I'm not holding in my sneezes anymore...

I expected that... >_<

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.

AHA! Another stereotype...DISPROVED!

I guess this means they can't fly, either....

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

LOL.

More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.

Expected. there are so many people in rural china and africa that it's quite likely.

Horses can't vomit.

>_> Did not know that...

Butterflies taste with their feet.

So they can't eat, and taste their food at the same time? Weird....

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all of the world's nuclear weapons combined.

when is the US military gonna catch on? Man made hurricane attacks are the way to go! [/sarcasm]

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

...*stops chewing pen*

On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

...I heard that fear #1 was public speaking...So most people would rather be in the casket than doing the eulogy...

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants. LET'S GO FOR A RIDE!

...0_o then how do they know where to go?

Thirty-five p ercent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

somehow...I expected it to be more...

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

...good thing too. they'd make tons of earthquakes if they did!

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

...Never tell me the odds...

...? huh? why not?

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

...Uh...is this counting those girly "blink eyes super fast to attract attention" things that some girls do?

:P...;P... >P...Yeah...can't do it.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

...ROFL. that's bad planning, right there.

A snail can sleep for three years.

Sounds like the life...

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."

Ah...*frowns*...Ahhh...yep, can't think of anything.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

...wow...didn't know that!

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

...Wow...thats surprising...but...maybe not...*Hears drill in background* >_< no, definetly not too much of a surprise...

All polar bears are left handed.

...Woot. Hurrah for my fellow lefties!

In ancient Egypt, priests p lucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

...>_< oww....

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

:P I heard about that. that's just funny.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

...Wow...yeah...looks like it...

"Go," is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Aha...*makes mental note*

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall.

...*doesn't care about barbie related stuff.*

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

...didnt' know that...

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

huh? that makes no sense...why mass produce something inferior when something better was invented already? to quote freedom: "Has common sense just left the building, or what?"

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

...ONLY?!?

...Curse you prry...curse you...XD

Kry
10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I can get within almost less than a quarter inch of licking my elbow. (0.635 centimeters for those countries smart enough to use metric.) It involves putting my right arm around my left shoulder, sticking my head over my elbow, leaning against a wall with my right arm in contact with the wall and pushing. Unfortunately it's very painful.

mrz84
10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I have tried many times thoughout my life to lick my elbow. Alas I have yet to be successful. Also I am amoung the few who fear spiders more than death. Spiders have always creeped me out since I was little. And now I'm to try and lick my elbow again. :kitty:

gdorf
10-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Every time I run across one of these lists, I look for the following "fact":

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

If it is in the list then I know I can ignore the rest of it, because that has been proven to be false.

DarkDragon
10-03-2007, 01:16 AM

I can. I won a bet about that recently, actually.

Rainman
10-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Oh, and it's obvious there are aliens. There are HOW many UFO calls each day? They can't all be fake.

Yes, yes they can all be fake.

Glitch
10-03-2007, 03:25 AM
Horses can vomit.

Seen it before, but it's not like we vomit, more of really nasty cough that make a mess.

Archibaldo
10-03-2007, 11:07 AM

IF YOU LIKE PINA COLADAS! AND GETTING CAUGHT IN THE RAIN!

DarkDragoonX
10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes, yes they can all be fake.

Silly, they aren't fake... they're truth alternatives.

Darth Marsden
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Eating 4 tubes of toothpaste is fatal.

Lemmings don't actually jump of cliffs.*

In Tokyo, a bicycle is faster than a car for most trips lasting less than 50 minutes.

There is one slot machine in Las Vegas for every eight inhabitants.

Every day 20 banks are robbed. The average take is $2,500.

Until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia.

A lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys Chewing Gum.

Cat urine glows under a black-light.

Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.

A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off - it dies from starvation.

Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.

The bones in a human thigh are stronger than concrete.

A jellyfish is 95 percent water.

Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

In the year 2000, Pope John Paul II was named an "Honorary Harlem Globetrotter."

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words -- none of them with the letter E.

A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans.

The poison-arrow frog has enough poison to kill about 2,200 people.

*The origin of this myth is from the Disney film White Wilderness, in which members of the production literally threw lemmings into the sea to obtain the required footage.

Modus Ponens
10-03-2007, 05:06 PM

I think this got Mythbusted. Anyway, I don't think that your closed eyelids could provide enough force to counteract a force great enough to push your eyeballs--which are quite a bit bigger than their visible parts--out of your eye sockets.

{DSG}DarkRaven
10-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Some of these are obviously false, like the duck echo or the horse vomit. Others are mostly true. Others are misleading. For example, the extraterrestrial law is likely the product of some idiot who wasn't guilty of anything until the law was passed. Don't ask me what the circumstances were, because I don't know and can't fully imagine. But I do know that it's illegal to tie alligators to fire hydrants in detroit, and alligator related crime is not exactly an epidemic in the midwest.

Rats can theoretically have a million descendents, provided that they multiply at a constant rate in an environment completely lacking any predators. Shrimps have head hearts, true, but that's not bizzare at all compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. The heart has no physical need to be centrally located in a creature shaped like a finger. It's extremeties are so minor that virtually any location would be fine, whereas people need it in the middle for the best bloodflow. Earthworms have four hearts, and grasshoppers must jump in order to survive. Jumping sloshes their juices around and provides cellular nourishment in the abscence of a more advanced circulatory system.

In the worst case scenario, a sneeze can do all sorts of horrible things to you, like fracturing ribs, popping out eyes, blowing holes in your lungs, and causing fatal internal bleeding. But how often do you see that on the ten o'clock news? I've been sneezing hard and repressing sneezes all my life, and I've beaten the odds so far. This is like saying airbags will decapitate you. Sure, there's a remote possibility, but we're talking really remote.

Pigs are fat animals with short necks, and the sky isn't full of food. No wonder they never look up.

Most cabbies are immigrants because getting a driver's license is very easy to do, even if you don't speak english. Driving is a fairly universal skill, and there are laws requiring public institutions to have multi-language courses as a means of avoiding discrimination. Remember, there is no offical language, and americans drive like idiots too.

Not only can elephants not jump, but they also hate shallow ditches. This is why you can reliably enclose a three-ton elephant with a wooden fence and a trench and not worry about public safety. The fence is there to keep the people out.

Cows cannot go down stairs because of the way their bodies are built. They don't bend in a way that can balance their center of gravity when they're going down, and if they tried, or were forced, they'd simply tumble down the stairs.

The electric chair was actually invented by Thomas Edison, as I recall, who was not a dentist. He just liked to invent things, and while making breakfast one day, decided it would be cool to fry men like bacon. Maybe?

Crocodiles have no need to stick their tongues out. They swallow things whole using jaw action. People use their tongues to facilitate chewing.

Modus Ponens
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM

Yeah, and you know what else can't do that? The catoblepas.

Ever read Wayside School Is Falling Down by Louis Sachar? I love his books. You know, he completed law school and then decided to be a children's author instead.

mrz84
10-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Ever read Wayside School Is Falling Down by Louis Sachar? I love his books. You know, he completed law school and then decided to be a children's author instead.

I read those books as a kid and loved them. Still do kinda. Seriously. :kitty:

{DSG}DarkRaven
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM

I still have those books. My fourth grade teacher read them to us. They were awesome.

biggiy05
10-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I think this got Mythbusted. Anyway, I don't think that your closed eyelids could provide enough force to counteract a force great enough to push your eyeballs--which are quite a bit bigger than their visible parts--out of your eye sockets.

That was your eyeballs would pop out if you kept your eyes open when sneezing. It was a weird episode but cool.